Audio Setup for Living Room under 20k

I'm also looking to buy speakers for my living room /tv.
After going through this thread I dropped my idea of buying sound bar and finalized Edifier R1855DB.

But then I checked my sh@#ty vu tv and found it has only "mini line out" as audio out. even if I connect the speakers to it somehow; don't think the tv can drive these speakers.

Do I need to buy a amp for these speakers to work with my tv?, and can you guys please advice one as I couldn't figure out which one to buy as I'm already over my budget (12k).

But then I checked my sh@#ty vu tv and found it has only "mini line out" as audio out. even if I connect the speakers to it somehow; don't think the tv can drive these speakers.
What is Mini Line out? Can you share screenshot of the user manual or pic of the port?

My 7-year old Sony TV has a 3.5mm Jack out which I am using to connect with the speakers. Some TVs also have a dual RCA for output.

I think its 3.5 mm Jack, not sure if the tv can drive the speakers though.
Here is the pic-

Yup, looks like a 3.5mm audio jack. R1855DB speakers don't need to be driven. They are active speaker with an amplifier built in. You need to provide power from wall socket and audio from source (TV 3.5mm)

They were going for 12.3k (without bank offers) last week. They frequently go for 11.8k on Flipkart. Don't buy at 14990.

Last edited:
even after reading multiple reviews, I still missed about them being active speakers[emoji52].
Okay, I'll check what offer I'm getting on my existing cards.

Any suggestions on how these compared to presonus 3.5?.
My usage are movie "watching/a little music " in my living room and I don't like "boom boom" bass.

Hey all, I'm a compelete newbie also looking for a "expensive better sounding speakers". I recently bought a 4k VU TV and don't like the sound on it.

I have never been exposed to decent quality sound before so I don't think I have a base reference point for judging.

My use case priority would be in this order:
1. Violin, classical/instrumental music, symphonies/sonatas
2. Games (PS5)
3. Movies
4. Other music

My budget is around ~10k, and looking from the above posts Edifier R1855DB seems a good purchase for ~12k.

My question is:
* Does Edifier have decent service/support in India in case something goes wrong (Mumbai?)
* Will this satisfy me with my priority 1 and 2

Thanks a lot, I would be so clueless without all the experts helping here selflessly!

Hey @Kmkaks May I know for are you using this for PC or TV ?

I have X74H Sony TV need suggestion for Soundbar or speakers for budget 20k .

Link to TV - https://www.sony.co.in/electronics/televisions/x74h-series
If your tv is in a small to medium room like a usual apartment hall, these should suffice. If the room is bigger then these might not be enough.

I am currently using it with my sony tv's 3.5mm jack bro. TBF though irrespective of that, I get better performance when output device is of better quality. For eg, Apple TV and Xbox inputting to tv gave me extraordinary performance whereas MiBox and firestick gave a bit muddled output. This performance gain applies to volume too.

Last edited:
Hey all, I'm a compelete newbie also looking for a "expensive better sounding speakers". I recently bought a 4k VU TV and don't like the sound on it.

I have never been exposed to decent quality sound before so I don't think I have a base reference point for judging.

My use case priority would be in this order:
1. Violin, classical/instrumental music, symphonies/sonatas
2. Games (PS5)
3. Movies
4. Other music

My budget is around ~10k, and looking from the above posts Edifier R1855DB seems a good purchase for ~12k.

My question is:
* Does Edifier have decent service/support in India in case something goes wrong (Mumbai?)
* Will this satisfy me with my priority 1 and 2

Thanks a lot, I would be so clueless without all the experts helping here selflessly!
Didn't want to over think this, purchased the Edifier R1855DB from Amazon for 11.9k. Lets see how it goes :)

If your tv is in a small to medium room like a usual apartment hall, these should suffice. If the room is bigger then these might not be enough.

I am currently using it with my sony tv's 3.5mm jack bro. TBF though irrespective of that, I get better performance when output device is of better quality. For eg, Apple TV and Xbox inputting to tv gave me extraordinary performance whereas MiBox and firestick gave a bit muddled output. This performance gain applies to volume too.

Yes I have long hall not sure if this will suffice my requirement but any other speakers which you can recommend .

Didn't want to over think this, purchased the Edifier R1855DB from Amazon for 11.9k. Lets see how it goes :)
Honestly, I'm not quite impressed by the R1855db.

It could be because I don't have a solid reference point for speakers.

I feel the highs are muffled/cloudy, and old movies also sound weird (the VU Tv actually sounds better for old movies). The lows are excellent, mid-range is quite clear in music and vocals in new movies (but dunno whats wrong with old movies). The highs sound worse than my Airpod Pros (could be because Im not used to listening on speakers and only closed headphones).

Games sound great, HZD and Battlefield 1 both sound amazing! They're loud enough for the hall, but not loud enough that you become self conscious about neighbours banging the door

I think I would've been satisfied if they costed ~7k but at 11.9k I feel a bit unhappy. Maybe my hearing is just shit ? lol. Going to just deal with it now

Any idea how to get an extra remote for the Edifier R1855db?

Last edited:
I feel the highs are muffled/cloudy, and old movies also sound weird (the VU Tv actually sounds better for old movies). The lows are excellent, mid-range is quite clear in music and vocals in new movies (but dunno whats wrong with old movies). The highs sound worse than my Airpod Pros (could be because Im not used to listening on speakers and only closed headphones).
Try playing hi-res music to get to know their real signature (Spotify or Tidal, not youtube). These speakers do require burn-in (if such a thing exists).

Regarding old movies, Maybe adjusting EQ settings on your tv when playing movies will help

Try playing hi-res music to get to know their real signature (Spotify or Tidal, not youtube). These speakers do require burn-in (if such a thing exists).

Regarding old movies, Maybe adjusting EQ settings on your tv when playing movies will help
Played all music from Youtube Music app (the actual music and not the videos), even tried spotify. will play around with the EQ settings. Thanks :)

One more thing is that I'm using the optical cable for sound, so I can't control the volume from the TV remote. Is there a way to control both TV and Speaker using a single universal remote?

Any idea how the downmixing to stereo happens via the line/headphone/aux out from smart TVs? I have iFFALCON LED TV and I have the classic problem of really low dialogue and very high explosions and action in different apps. I think TVs do some DSP stuff to make the dialogues clearer on the onboard speakers.

Back