Audio upgrades :)... or almost :|

stalker

Skilled
So I started this thread recently, about buying a bunch of speakers/headphones/earphones/amp/dac blah blah.. big plans.. all to no end :|

Over the past 3 or so years, I've been listening exclusively to what are considered to be bass anemic earphones (Mylarone X3, Mylarone X3i & the Bijou 3). Then I listened to these.

JVC HA-RX900
P1010618.JPG

P1010621.JPG

P1010622.JPG

Out of the box, I was blown away by the quantity of bass these pump out. They've almost opened up a new dimension to the music I listen to, made me realize what I've been missing out on all these years.
And that soundstage :O. Headphones take it away to a different level when compared to IEMs and the JVCs are splendid at it.
The cost you ask? $50.. While that might not be a lot to most people, it is a LOT of money for a student..

These are considered to be extremely mod happy and I intend to get my hands dirty with that as soon as I can find some time :ashamed:

I auditioned pretty much everything I could lay my eyes on in a whole bunch of stores, within a price band from $100-$450. All that searching led me the KRK RP5-G2s. Active studio monitors, and bloody good ones at that (Best active speakers under $400, imho).
I even spotted an online deal where I could net a pair+stands for just $250 (they usually retail at 150 a piece and the stands are for another 50 bucks).
I almost pulled the trigger.. until, better sense prevailed and I ended up with these..

Swans HiVi D1080MKII
P1010658.JPG

P1010661.JPG

P1010668.JPG

These were the only speakers that I could not audition over the almost 3 weeks that I searched for speakers. Super awesome speakers for $135. While nowhere in the league, they manage to trounce the M-Audio offerings under $200 and come pretty close to matching the Audioengine A2s as well. The A2s win over in the mid-high to high ranges.
However, for the money, there is nothing that can beat these little beauties :)

And now, for the reason why I could not buy the amp/dac & earphones.

Windsor Cliff 4700
P1010655.JPG

P1010656.JPG

I realized that commuting to work/classes on foot was turning out to be an extremely painful issue. Also, noticed the threads/posts that appo/nukey/linuxtechie had been making around the forums and elsewhere. That started my hunt. I quickly realized that given my budget constrains the only option I had was to go used or mail-order.
After much fruitless craigslist hunting over almost 3 more weeks, I gave in and ordered the Cliff from Save Up To 60% Off Road Bikes, Bicycles, Mountain Bikes and Bicycles with Bikesdirect.com, New with full warranties No other manufacturer gives the kind of components that these guys do for the price. However, there never is a free lunch, and this purchase comes loaded with its own fair share of issues. No walkin service centres in pretty much 90% of the country. Mail in warranty services. Self assembly requirement and no brandname to trust what so ever.
I spent 90 minutes putting the bike together and took it to my local bike store to get a proper tune-up. The guys there were like :O given the money I paid for this. That and the joy that this bike is to ride were enough to assure me that I made a wise choice :D

congrats :)

whats the cost of the bike? seems like a lot just looking at the prices of other bikes on that link you gave. no wonder the bike shop guys went :O

@nookie
cheaper?

Student city. This place is kinda big on extreme sports and the people are very outdoorsy. I've kinda been bitten by the outdoor bug as well and wanted something decent. You get basic bikes at chain stores for sub 100.. These should do just fine for pavement commuting, but are not gonna last more than a trip or two on the trails here.

new bikes with all the features that I wanted, from regular manufacturers such as Trek, Raleigh etc were coming to 450+.. totally out of my budget.

@6pack
I paid $325 after BCB on ebay. The bike shop guys went :O coz I got a good deal :p
Also, given the outdoorsy people and the fact that biking is more of a recreational hobby kinda thing here rather than commuting thingy, I commonly spot bikes costing $1k+

Congrats Vaidy :D. Really neat stuff.

Even i want buy a cycle, but every time i go through the chennai traffic i drop that plan :lol:, i'd rather walk or go by bike :p (P.S./OT I hate the persons riding the bicycles in chennai as half of them go on the wrong side :mad:)

Congrats!
I wish i too could ride a cycle to college...The road i take is a racing track for overloaded buses and trucks. I dunno where u guys ride these bikes..with pollution crater sized potholes.

Congrats :D. A wise purchase indeed. Just my opinion but some jap companies eg: JVC, Onkyo have really got sound figured out.

congrats
15 for a bike with deore rd, rockshox dart shocks and a truvativ crank is a steal :p
whats your height stalky? looks like a small frame
also you are going to shift to slicks?

Saiyan said:
Congrats Vaidy :D. Really neat stuff.

Even i want buy a cycle, but every time i go through the chennai traffic i drop that plan :lol:, i'd rather walk or go by bike :p (P.S./OT I hate the persons riding the bicycles in chennai as half of them go on the wrong side :mad:)

Dunno why you are crying so much about traffic :p
It's not really soo bad. I used to ride a bicycle back when I was home as well. In peak traffic it is just the same as driving a scooty or something :p At other times, no issues :)

apollyon said:
congrats
15 for a bike with deore rd, rockshox dart shocks and a truvativ crank is a steal :p
whats your height stalky? looks like a small frame
also you are going to shift to slicks?

it's a 17inch frame. I'm 5'9 and the bike fits perfectly :)
I'll mostly be shifting to semi-slicks once I can save enough to buy another set of wheels since these come with quick release latches (Wanna keep the proper offroad ability :p)

Congozz sTALKEr!

Thats one nice pair o wheels you got there. I am also planning to join the cycling bandwagon soon!

Back