Audio AudioEngine 5 - Black or White?

Either of them will look good on my desktop. I'm preferring black, and my parents preferring white one. Is the white one prone to scratches, like the white macbook? I'll order them [strike]in a day[/strike] today.

Thanks!

EDIT: I am also getting a bamboo/wooden box option for a not worth to mention price difference. What benefit does bamboo A5 speakers bring for their $100 premium in the US market? Do they sound better, or are a compromise compared to main A5 models? I was now eying, in fact was ready to fix the order for white ones, and then these come up.

black one is prone to attract fingerprints and dirt is clearly visible. White one do well with some dust, and scraches are rarely seen.

However if you cold keep em neat n clean nothin beats the black uns in beauty.

I am also getting a bamboo/wooden box option for a not worth to mention price difference. What benefit does bamboo A5 speakers bring for their $100 premium in the US market? Do they sound better, or are a compromise compared to main A5 models? I was now eying, in fact was ready to fix the order for white ones, and then these come up.

I haven't had a good chance Googling for comparisons. Audiophiles please suggest me! :)

Mods: Please please change thread title to "AudioEngine 5 - Black or White or Bamboo?"

Bamboo ftw: looks the coolest of the lot. As far as the sound go i doubt there'll be much of a difference As the bamboo must be just a finish and not the actual bamboo wood.

It's actually bamboo wood as per details on AE's website:

Audioengine 5N (A5N) - All of the simple but useful features and same signature sound of the award-winning A5 wrapped in rock solid and beautifully hand-finished bamboo.

Bamboo is an excellent alternative to hardwoods and the dark bamboo used for the Audioengine A5N cabinets is not a stain, but achieved through a specialized heating process. As the wood is pressure heated, the sugar compounds inside the bamboo are "carbonized" which in turn darkens the bamboo to a rich caramel color. Awesome sound, great looks, eco-friendly, and panda-safe.

What does dampening really mean when switching from plastic casing to wooden?

If that is te case then the tinalities will certainly differ from the MDF wood AE whites n blacks. The bamboo wood is more tensile, durable and lightweight. This as opposed to the hard and meaty nature of MDF should theoretically produce tones that are richer and more resonating. However its upto you what kind of tonalities you prefer.

If possible get a demo of both.

sarang said:
If that is te case then the tinalities will certainly differ from the MDF wood AE whites n blacks. The bamboo wood is more tensile, durable and lightweight. This as opposed to the hard and meaty nature of MDF should theoretically produce tones that are richer and more resonating. However its upto you what kind of tonalities you prefer.

If possible get a demo of both.

I am no audiophile(whatever that even means). :ashamed: But I do like to hear blissful, next to divinity grade sound. Not fond of booms that sound like ghoooooon ghuuuun :p

How do these classify for me then?

Chaos said:
Bamboo? Now thats a strange material to make

speakers with :bleh:

oh? hehe :p

I like the white plano finish, which i have. They shine a lot, and hardly show any finger prints (since they're white). Very easy to maintain.

I think bamboo is just the finish. The box is made of same MDF irrespective of the finish.

@rPOk: me thought the same, but they've actually used specially treated bamboo wood.

I totally agree with you on teh white part, only thing the black are like "If looks could kill..."

People always think black is easier to maintain. But I find that it's much easier to maintain white PC hardware and that dust is much more visible on a black surface. Only problem with white peripherals is, they fade a little over time.

I bought the black ones! Make the all black rig more se*y :D I confirm dirt and finger prints are visible. This is something to be cleaned with a microfiber cloth haha.

congrats mate, why not spread some jealousy among the unfortunate white AE ownig folk like me by posting some pics.

Back