Audio Audiophile and gears

Just another noob question for the audiophiles

Let's assume, we 've a balanced headphone amplifier like Topping A90 & headphones like sundara.
specifications for the amplifier are same in balanced mode either XLR or 4.4mm port.
now we're to buy a new balanced cable for these headphones,
which cable should be purchased one terminating with XLR port or 4.4 mm ? & why ?
considering the fact, cable length is 3 meter or 10 feet and all other specifications for the cable are identical.
and what if cable length is more than 3 meter?

for e.g. cable with XLR port is Rs.8000 & with 4.4 mm it's Rs.7000
so is it worth paying extra 1000.
A balanced cable for 7000-8000!!?? Get the 4.4 pentaconn one. You can use it with most high end DAPs also with 4.4 balanced outs.

no no ! I'm not spending 8k on cable,
just asking if there's any technical difference except the portability or compatibility with multiple DAPs /AMPs.

no no ! I'm not spending 8k on cable,
just asking if there's any technical difference except the portability or compatibility with multiple DAPs /AMPs.

That's a very controversial question to ask , if expensive cables bring any difference or not. To my ears cable do bring a good amount of difference (especially in speaker setup) , differences are subtle but in a highly resolving setup a very noticeable difference. Many call it snake oil , many swear by it so the best way is to borrow if you know anyone around and see for yourself.

That's a very controversial question to ask , if expensive cables bring any difference or not. To my ears cable do bring a good amount of difference (especially in speaker setup) , differences are subtle but in a highly resolving setup a very noticeable difference. Many call it snake oil , many swear by it so the best way is to borrow if you know anyone around and see for yourself.
Sometimes its the opposite

This is a very touchy subject and opinions vary from huge difference to snake oil. But either way you don't need a 2300$ cable!

One thing that can be bad about audiophile community is people wanting to impose their opinion, and while measurements are one thing , everyones hearing is not only subjective but also different just like our weight height whatever. And we have different tastes, way to percieve things etc etc.

So for example @fLUX says he could tell difference but when I borrowed a cable I didn't and that's entirely possible. So I never got into cables but if he can make out the difference then that's fine too and I don't need to jump on him or vice versa.

I remember we had similar debates with well encoded mp3 vs flac on some forums. To make my own judgement I did blind abx testing and could make out difference so I upgraded all my collection to flac. But then the friend says he can't so that's fine too.

And then also lot depends on your setup how it goes with it etc.

At the end best way is to try yourself and see if you can make out the difference with your setup.

I could hear a significant difference if the original cable was really bad ( have some cheap MMCX, AUX cable from AliExpress, and they sound really bad and often cut the sound) but never being able to differentiate between a normal/ good cable to a very expensive one.

Got my Kali LPs for 30k while they sell for 298 USD. Fiio K5 pro 149 USD, I paid 15k INR. Yep .. 42% approx.
What to do man!?

@red dragon

Do you have any idea about the recently launched DUNU SA6? I am considering to import these from Shenzhenaudio but they are $550, so want to be sure if those are really worth it.

This is a very touchy subject and opinions vary from huge difference to snake oil. But either way you don't need a 2300$ cable!

One thing that can be bad about audiophile community is people wanting to impose their opinion, and while measurements are one thing , everyones hearing is not only subjective but also different just like our weight height whatever. And we have different tastes, way to percieve things etc etc.
Agree with you but for audio sources, the objectivity aligns with my subjectivity, at least for me. I have used multiple cables and have not noticed any difference. I believe that the point he was trying to make is that an audiophile's pursuit of better audio never ends but one should not take everything what a manufacturer says at face value. More often than not it turns out to be placebo. There is another review on usb jitter devices which concludes the same.

Subjective Opinion Alert
With headphones I have not really experimented beyond 100$ , again because of the value proposition ratio. The 100$ replacement was against the stock cable of Hifiman Ananda and it was certainly for the better for me. But again will it be 50$ better than a 40/50$ replacement, having never tried alternatives there I cannot answer but if I had to take a guess I would say it certainly would not justify the increase.

For my stereo setup which is fairly resolving , I had first moved from Amazon basics cable to Belden 8477 cables (15 Rs/m to 200 Rs/m) and the value gain was very high with very positive improvements across the frequencies. I recently acquired a Mogami 2804 which is a 200$ a pair cable and is apparently white labelled by some top brands and sold for as much as 1k$ a pair and again I noticed this cable to perform better than Belden in the lows making the music sound more coherent across the frequencies.

I whole-heartedly agree with @nick.knack91011 , you personally can be on either side of the bandwagon once you try out the stuff but do borrow and try out as you might/might not perceive a difference. Dont go purely on the subjective and objective reviews online , as you will end up being disappointed you ended up believing in something else while you find out that it was otherwise.

When I mentioned the objectivity aligns with my subjectivity, I implied that I tried out the device wherever possible, drew the conclusion and then made the purchase decision. I am not for once suggesting you go only by online subjective/objective reviews. You are purchasing it so if you have an opportunity to tryout then nothing like it. Goes for anything not just audio for that matter.
The good thing about ASR is its both objective and subjective and in a few instances the outcome is influenced by subjectivity and cost to value rather than just objectivity.

Last edited:
@red dragon

Do you have any idea about the recently launched DUNU SA6? I am considering to import these from Shenzhenaudio but they are $550, so want to be sure if those are really worth it.
No idea mate. What are you upgrading from? Dunu is possibly the most reputable chi fi brand with great support ( not sure about support in India).
But 550 USD is a lot of money for an IEM.. please be careful...have you considered Fiio's dynamic flagship?

@red dragon

I will be upgrading from WF-XM3, previously had ER2XR, AirPods Pro and before that FLC8S. According to some rumours, this SA6 model is developed for DUNU by QDC. No haven't considered FIIO, do you think spending this much on IEM makes sense or better add some more money and get Mid-Fi headphones.

My usage from these will be workouts, both indoor-outdoor apart from usual listening sessions done on my phone/laptop.

When I mentioned the objectivity aligns with my subjectivity, I implied that I tried out the device wherever possible, drew the conclusion and then made the purchase decision. I am not for once suggesting you go only by online subjective/objective reviews. You are purchasing it so if you have an opportunity to tryout then nothing like it. Goes for anything not just audio for that matter.
The good thing about ASR is its both objective and subjective and in a few instances the outcome is influenced by subjectivity and cost to value rather than just objectivity.

Was not suggesting you did that, I had not read your post as I was writing mine in parallel :) True that suggestion to try out applies everywhere, but the subjectivity in play for audio is way more than other places hence the opportunity for manufacturers to fiddle around with product offerings in every small area.
@red dragon

I will be upgrading from WF-XM3, previously had ER2XR, AirPods Pro and before that FLC8S. According to some rumours, this SA6 model is developed for DUNU by QDC. No haven't considered FIIO, do you think spending this much on IEM makes sense or better add some more money and get Mid-Fi headphones.

My usage from these will be workouts, both indoor-outdoor apart from usual listening sessions done on my phone/laptop.
If proportion of usage is going to more indoors than outdoors then headphones would be a better option. However while getting headphones do keep in mind about their efficiencies and how easy they are to drive, as many of the mid-fi headphones out there need a good dac /amp to realize their potential.

@red dragon

Really don't know mate. Honestly I probably won't be able to differentiate between a 100 and 500 USD IEM with similar signature in a blind test.
Though I've spent a lot on IEMs in past, they don't excite me anymore ( possibly due to my auditory deficiencies)
For workout, please don't use such expensive IEMs.

@red dragon

This is all you should be spending on for a workout headphones. .. maybe even less.

Was not suggesting you did that, I had not read your post as I was writing mine in parallel :) True that suggestion to try out applies everywhere, but the subjectivity in play for audio is way more than other places hence the opportunity for manufacturers to fiddle around with product offerings in every small area.

If proportion of usage is going to more indoors than outdoors then headphones would be a better option. However while getting headphones do keep in mind about their efficiencies and how easy they are to drive, as many of the mid-fi headphones out there need a good dac /amp to realize their potential.
How does your Ananda compares with your Hi-Fi setup, are you using Q5S to power these or using desktop amplifiers only.

Really don't know mate. Honestly I probably won't be able to differentiate between a 100 and 500 USD IEM with similar signature in a blind test.
Though I've spent a lot on IEMs in past, they don't excite me anymore ( possibly due to my auditory deficiencies)
For workout, please don't use such expensive IEMs.
Whole point of getting another IEM is to use it for my walking/jogging sessions for both indoor and outdoor. Some mixed weight training too.
I think IEM expensive or budget is pure consumption item and is not going to last forever unlike Headphones.

This is all you should be spending on for a workout headphones. .. maybe even less.
Haha, using XM3's currently and am not satisfied with its SQ. I highly doubt if these will sound better.

Back