Audio Audiophile and gears

Are you trying to build a HT system? If so, avoid all these monitors...all of them will lack bass for movies etc.
I have a Dali Oberon 7, but it was not installed correctly and rattles the whole freaking house.
Don't spend so much on monitors buddy unless you earn money from production.
Genelecs sound exceptionally clean ( but you may feel the bass lacking)
Demo the Barefoot line ( it's a great opportunity) if you find the bass inadequate, it will possibly be the same for all monitors ( it's a necessity as the clubs/ pubs etc.will have anything with minimum 3dB boost in 30-100 Hz region, almost everywhere...)

Pure stereo only. I have the usual audiophile speakers right now - a pair of Usher Be718 bookshelves and a McCormack phono+preamp+Poweramp stack. This will stay and I might convert this to HT.

The reason I want monitors is because they seem to sound far more accurate than similarly priced home audio speakers.

Are you trying to build a HT system? If so, avoid all these monitors...all of them will lack bass for movies etc.
I have a Dali Oberon 7, but it was not installed correctly and rattles the whole freaking house.
Don't spend so much on monitors buddy unless you earn money from production.
Genelecs sound exceptionally clean ( but you may feel the bass lacking)
Demo the Barefoot line ( it's a great opportunity) if you find the bass inadequate, it will possibly be the same for all monitors ( it's a necessity as the clubs/ pubs etc.will have anything with minimum 3dB boost in 30-100 Hz region, almost everywhere...)

Nice to know someone else here uses Dali as well. I use Dali Zensors in one of my Stereo setups.

But I have set it up all wrong, too much bass, shakes even the bedroom above. We can't even use it to watch movies at night ( wakes the kid up even at minimum volume)
You set it up yourself? I'm a complete noob in setting up anything beyond 2.1 set ups. And it's a very complex 7.1 setup.
And you're from Kolkata!!

Is it possible to order anything from Linsoul as a personal import now ? Looks like HPZ, Hifinage, Conceptkart (not a full Audio Store) are the biggest consumer of their product catalogue.
AliExpress got banned but imports are still coming through from China. Some guy ordered a couple of cases from DHgate a few months ago. Of course, one can just ask the Linsoul people if they are facing any problems shipping to India. Also one can ask Ivan for direct shipping option by paying through PayPal as well. I remember he used to offer that earlier and his wife Sunny handles that part.

@dissel It has much superior circuitry and power delivery, most S1 users have upgraded to W2. Some even sold their flagship DAPs for it since the difference according to many is not big enough.

Is Hifigo shipping to India ? Any purchased anything from there ?
I checked their site, they claim to be partnered with Grand slam express. I'm thinking of ordering from there too.

You can read more about it here
In short they're saying it can be shipped to India in 2 weeks and you'll have to send KYC documents to grand slam express when they contact you through mail for custom clearance and then pay the custom charges. Coming to customs they said if the package is small it attracts less, I don't trust them on it. Expect minimum 50% over the price or less if you're lucky.

But I have set it up all wrong, too much bass, shakes even the bedroom above. We can't even use it to watch movies at night ( wakes the kid up even at minimum volume)
You set it up yourself? I'm a complete noob in setting up anything beyond 2.1 set ups. And it's a very complex 7.1 setup.
And you're from Kolkata!!

I'm actually using the Dali for a 2.0 stereo setup connected to a Marantz amplifier. I think you will find help regarding your 7.1 setup if you post on Hifivision Forums. I'm sure they will guide you on it.

Deal alert: Neumann's NDH 20 got a 10-20 percent discount depending upon the region/ country.
If anybody interested in getting the most accurate closedback headphones ( usually retails for 500 EUR and never available with any discount) can have a look.
It's a very unique headphone, the only closed back which sounds great with tubes!!
If you are planning to get Meze closed back, try these if possible. Much more accurate.
Well then that there itself solves the problem.
It's not that easy man!! Will have to run some software with room measurements etc.
Totally useless with these kind of things ( I know 4 DAWs inside out, can manipulate audio waves with surgical precision, but somehow can't wrap my head around beyond 2.1 set ups)
Some parts of my left hemisphere dont work properly. Can't follow any instruction mechanically without understanding.

Last edited:
Tidal really sounds awful in comparison to Qobuz. I can't be hearing things or we may need dedicated MQA certified hardware to enjoy it.

I am trying Tidal again after long time, playing straight from MacBook feeding the Andromeda 2020.

Qobuz - 9/10 (Really deep bass and non fatiguing highs with lots of dynamics in between)
Tidal - 5.5/10 (Sounds peaky, lacks deep bass and details, almost no dynamics and sounds hollow)

Qobuz is a dream come true for audiophiles, expensive but worth it. I am not buying specific MQA hardware now to enjoy Tidal when the likes of Qobuz is available.

Last edited:
https://www.whathifi.com/qobuz/review
They don't think so, neither do I! Something is wrong with your signal chain. Tidal masters are much cleaner even when visualised in Spectral Layer Pro.
Tidal uses Weiss MM 1, as limiter, I don't know if you're familiar with that..
You can use soundiiz.com to convert any existing playlists you might have on other streaming services to a Tidal playlist. The website works well.
No MQA certified hardware won't help ( it's typical gimmick) Tidal masters sound perfectly fine even without MQA certified hardware.
It's either your signal chain or that particular limiter is messing up with you.
I use Waves L2/L3 as the last limiter of mastering chain. And at first our own music sounded little different on Tidal, but once they explained with Weiss MM1 and spectral analysis, we were convinced that they are using completely transparent stuff for Tidal masters and it was our limiters responsible for this ( Waves maximizers was compressing the incoming signals...before hitting the faders...and in mastering you don't change prefader signal!! Now we use Fabfilter's Pro L or Ozones limiter..all issues solved) problem of digital mastering..if we had full analog set up ( not HW emulators) things could have been much simpler ( but even used harware costs more than 15000 EUR boss)

I believe my own ears more than what graphs or reviews says. It's the basic which I always follow in Audio.

Whathifi is a pimp website and I don't usually follow these kind of sites either, trust normal person more and it's what these kinds of forums are for. Few days earlier I tried Audionirvana because someone on hifivision said it sound better then native Qobuz client and to my shock it sounded horrible and that software went straight to bin.

Difference between Tidal and YT Music 320 kbps is not that much without dedicated MQA unfolding hardware.

Listening to Fleetwood Mac - The Chain, the drums in starting of the song sounds softer and muted on Tidal Master (unknown bitrate) vs hard hitting on Qobuz Hi-Res (24 96). The guitar pluck at 00:18 is very hard to hear on Tidal as well. On Qobuz it feels like I am sitting on a front row seat in a large stadium vs small room on a back seat where soundstage is confined and hearing individual instruments is hard and not easy to recognise on Tidal.

Last edited:
Yes, I was wondering when these would show up here. Well, it would be better if you post the entire story.
It started with this actual thread on Audiosciencereview -
It would be instructive to read through Amir's explanations and this -
Essentially the experiment done by the guy and explanations provided were proved incorrect as the guy had misinterpreted what MQA does. The thread was controversial just like MQA itself and peeps indulged in personal attacks, so much so that Amir closed it. The entire episode is summarized here -
Even Bob Stuart talked about it -

Yes, the MQA controversy will never end. But Tidal masters definitely don't sound or look any different from the original source.
I understand some people don't believe in visualising waveforms ( but it's essential as all of us have different levels of hearing loss...and spectral tools exist for analysis)
Regarding "That Great" Fleetwood Mac record...it was recorded as 16-96 (weird but true!!)
I had a Warner SACD of Rumours, which sounded considerably better than HDTracks one (24-96)..which was made from an audio DVD.
The 1979 half speed mastered one in vinyl is possibly the best version of this particular gem ( to my limited knowledge)
I don't know what exactly is Qobuz is doing. But it's true that Tidal's version sounds slightly different from what I have in my collection (SACD rip in flac and usual Redbook rip..they sound almost identical)
The controversy around this album's sound is not new (specially with so many upscaled versions available legally) and shouldn't be used to judge streaming services' quality.
If someone is truly interested
https://dr.loudness-war.info/
It's a good database.
Post-production industry handle all session samples at 48K 16bit. That is the standard.
Now if I produce at 24/48...
There are more than 200 stair-ladder steps when compared to 44/16. And when I downsample to 44/16 with dithering, it does sound better than dealing with 44/16 from the start. Downsampling from 48/24 to 44/16 plus dithering has better interpolation.
One doesn't need to know/ understand these technicalities for consumption.
Steely Dan's records are your safest bet to compare streaming services.
One cannot just make a statement like " music quality is subjective" without having any clues whatsoever.
What we see as Spectral layers but can not hear with our ears is the "subjectivity" in science of audio.
Young people with exceptional hearing capabilities can actually hear the difference what we can see in Spectrometers ( with more than 90 percent accuracy in blind tests...the remaining 10 percent is the real subjective interpretation...The primary auditory cortex lies in the superior temporal gyrus of the temporal lobe and extends into the lateral sulcus and the transverse temporal gyri (Heschl's gyri). Final sound processing is then performed by the parietal and frontal lobes of the human cerebral cortex.
This final processing is purely subjective, as our frontal lobe is really complex and has most of the non measurable emotions which are attached with perception of audio.

So as a tech geek, please try to avoid the idiotic " sound is subjective " theory.
Yes, it's subjective to a certain extent, but not a simple thing.
Hope science of sound is not beneath the lofty standards of TE threads.
I don't like people like Crinacle simply because these newer reviewers believe in FRCs, but don't understand Spectral Layer analysis and don't even know the signal flow from cranial nerve to cerebral cortex ( what happens in frontal cortex is subjective, rest is your age, inner ear)
It's Audirvana BTW and the core player was there for decades and still works perfectly fine with DSD. It still has all the granular controls of everything in the signal chain.
It can only sound bad, if you mess up dithereing / some other settings without knowing what's going on. Heck it allows to play around with kernel audio processing!! You won't get anything like this under 300 EUR and those are DAWs ( stay away from them, if Audirvana settings confused you)
Yes whathifi is sponsored by brands, but people working for it get paid..it's a tough job to get.
They may be biased to certain brands, but they do know about audio processing and actually have the products they are reviewing ( unlike many reddit reviews)

Last edited:
Back