Audiophile Help Needed

boomshankar

Disciple
hey guys ,

an audio noob needs help from some of the Audio experts on TE

i've finally decided to make the jump from my crappy Hi-fi system to a higher end audiophile system

my budget is 45-50k

i know its not that much in terms of high end audio but i'm willing to compromise a bit

i need an amp, towers, center, surround & sub

i went to auditions a couple of systems and found one that i liked

it was a yamaha system

RX-V465 amp

NS-8390 towers

NS-P60 center & surround

& YST-SW215 sub

all for 45k

is this a goood deal or can i get anything better in the same price range ??

i can stretch my budget a bit to 55-60

also plz tell me places where i can audition the speakers and get the stuff from

BTW, i'm located in Mumbai

take your favourite media cds dvds, wdmedia player and audion few more speaker setups with the amplifier check out profx, soundsmiths etc check out the hifi forum

@cravikum: Thanks for the tip will do that

btw when i went to profx and when i told them my budget was around 50k they said their packages start from 75k and didn't really entertain me :p

There are couple of other brands like Onkyo and Sonodyne also. Check them. I am not aware where we have showroom for them in Mumbai.

Yes the DENONS will be better but I bet getting a floor standers, with a dedicated Active subwoofer and a good receiver, all in 45K is just not possible. Definitely not with the DENONs.

The above combo is just a killer at that price. I am in fact wondering if they are with bill and warranty.

The pricing is just too tempting.

There's this shop on Linking Road, actually Waterfield Road(which is close to it) called Jamo.

They have some awesome speakers by Jamo and Marantz. They have a large collection of wooden towers dat'll please u and they'll give u a proper audition as well. Have a look there.

Also there is another shop called Sound Decisions on 16th road khar next to mini-punjab(pals) who can get you almost any brand speakers for a steal price. ;)

@sushantV: I'm getting the deal from ezone hajiali, the offer price is 53000 + some "gifts"

if you bargain you can get them down to 50k

and i was pleasently suprised to find a good aquaintance who is the branch manager so i managed to get another 5k off

btw they are authorised yamaha dealers with proper warranty & all

but this offer is only valid till diwali

@raksrules & @Party Monger: thanks for the sugesstions but i had gone to chk out the sonodyne pakage which costs 75k and it did not sound half as good as the yamaha, especially for music,

i'll try and chk out denon ones

Yamaha are good for amps. I dont think they are that good for speakers ( i havent personally heard the same speakers so cant comment)

I had bought a system 2 years back for 45k..its a 5.1 with marantz amplifier.

Speakers are Jamo s406 hcs 5.1...it includes 2 floorstanding front, one center, 2 surrounds and and active 200W woofer. Speakers cost me 27k and the marantz amp cost me 18k.

This will be in your budget.

Go to D.N. Nagar , Andheri(W), opposite YMCA there are 3 shops . Viola Home theater, The Shop and one more whose name i cant remember. I bought mine from viola.

Here you will get good choices. I found viola giving me the best rates.

Also check Atria Mall in worli. they have a few audio shops.

A surround setup at 60K will be very, very basic, and if you definitely want floorstanders, you're scraping the bottom of the barrel. And things are not very nice there.

At 60K you could look at a pretty capable stereo system instead, which will work well for music and movies. PSB Image B25 and a NAD or Marantz amp will get you there, and there's a long thread on some other forum for speakers in the ~25K range with a lot of candidates mentioned (Usher, Dali, and Epos are some I remember offhand). There's another thread on these forums on a very similar topic. It's possible to get very capable compact speakers that will deliver excellent performance for music, and a nice amp. This way at least you have some kind of an upgrade path.

If you are getting a sub, you won't need the added bass extension of a floorstander anyway so it's kind of pointless. It would be a slightly better bet to pick up a stereo pair of standmounts and add the sub and positional speakers later.

I am in the process and look-out for exactly the same HT-setup as boomshankar.

Auditioned few setups -

1) Croma, Delhi - Yamaha AVR (RX-V***) + DSI 5.1 setup including floor standers. Amazing sound with decent vocals and loads of bass. Price - 35k

2) E-zone - Onkyo SR304 AVR + Onkyo 7.1 (entry level spk) = 45k. Decent sounding with decent bass.

3) E-zone - Onkyo SR304 AVR + Jamo 406C 7.1 setup = 45-52k. Very mid to high oriented setup. Very poor bass response.

Out of three i liked the first setup. But again what Cranky advised seems to best to me, if you desire for an audiophile setup.

Will be goind to Bass n Treble, Dwarka, delhi to audition more stereo setups in the next week or so.

Cranky, could you please specifically list some decent brands/models for Stereo Amp + Floor standers + Sub under 30-50k? Music preference being - Jazz, Classical, Bollywood, Ghazals.

Its hard to get a decent pair of floor standers in 50k, let alone amp + sub. I'd say spend 25k on a pair of decent bookshelves and 25k on a stereo amp. The mileage you'll get out of that is way more than any cheapie floorstander.

Back