Audiophile upgrade......

Metalspree

Skilled
I have been looking out for a good DAC/AMP for quite some time to pair with me Cowon D2 +RE1 & Laptop +SHP9000.

Initially had the cMoy BB V2 purchased from a Australian head-fier but did not like the sound signature( bloated bass).Got a bit addicted to Head-fi and made a wise decision to get the D4 Mamba.An amazing product from iBasso and one of the best portable DAC/AMP available in the market.Its been rated as no 3 in skylab's Portable amp review at head-fi .A real VFM product i have got off lately after the RE 1.

The shipping was uber fast .It was shipped out of iBasso on 28th and got it today,less than one day to reach Auckland .

I was under the impression that its big and heavy to carry around well its not its no tiny and light weight.A true workman ship shows on the product.Its perfectly designed for portability.Did not get the opamp kit as i will be getting the Hiflight Top-kit pretty soon.

Here are the pics

p1030175bb.jpg

Comes with an extra enclosure,nice leather bag ,USB cable ,mini- mini cable,manual,some screws,an allen key.

p1030183b.jpg

The amp.

p1030181i.jpg

p1030179x.jpg

Comparison with my cMoy

p1030177y.jpg

Comparison with my cMoy

p1030188t.jpg

A comparison with the Nokia 1200 ,check how small this thing is.

Initial impression: I was blown away at the details of the amp :O:O.The bass has come in ,wide sound stage and the RE 1 sounds perfect:D.Do not expect a review from my side for the next 2 months at least as i am coming to India pretty soon and hopefully a beer-full head-fi meet in Mumbai :cheers:

:thanx: Brendon(BF1983) for helping me out choose the perfect amp and Faheem pestering me to get a amp so that he can get my cMoy :p.

PS:Too much addiction to audio leaves you with a burnt wallet(237USD) .

sarang said:
Congrats metal! Let us know your detailed impressions after sufficient burn-in.

Sure i will do it but only after 200 hrs to 300hrs :)

phoenix844884 said:
Congrats Metalspree. Nice buy.

Thank You

cravikum said:
congos metalspree waiting for your review ...

Thank You,review i doubt mate as i have told earlier i am busy for the next 2 months

titana said:
Congrats !

Nice buy.

Thank You

TechHead said:
Excellent. Have fun! Love mine!

Hi thanks mate

Now time to hunt for a good 9V battery.Any suggestions TH?? ,might pick one at Singapore on my way back to India.

Next buying list a good headphone :)

congrats mate.....

just wanted to ask what would be a worthy upgrade over pl-50.

i love them but it's like i have grown used to them , also it takes a lot of concentration to be able to distinguish the instruments, i.e. soundstage is not what i want. however i just love their detail.

and so i am in a fix. re-0 promise unparalleled detail and re-1 have amazing soundstage.

will re-1 manage to match re-0 detail levels with a suitable amp

Congrats Kranthi :D bring it along so that I can have a listen :p

rdst_1 said:
congrats mate.....
just wanted to ask what would be a worthy upgrade over pl-50.
i love them but it's like i have grown used to them , also it takes a lot of concentration to be able to distinguish the instruments, i.e. soundstage is not what i want. however i just love their detail.
and so i am in a fix. re-0 promise unparalleled detail and re-1 have amazing soundstage.
will re-1 manage to match re-0 detail levels with a suitable amp

I have both the PL-50 and RE0, using them unamped. RE0 are a worthy upgrade, i've promised myself never to listen to the PL50 again :p

^ Congrats Dude ! Did you try out the DAC as well ? How does it sound compared to the X-fi and your Cowon D2 as a audio processor ?

^Faheem - let me threadjack. Better than my DX for sure, better mids, tighter bass. Using my HD555s, not the best headphones in the world, but "decent" enough for me :p

Congrats dude ! Glad to know you love them. I was scared of getting hate mail from you if the D4 was not to your tastes !!! :)

FaH33m said:
^ Congrats Dude ! Did you try out the DAC as well ? How does it sound compared to the X-fi and your Cowon D2 as a audio processor ?

With Cowon D2 it rockssss man way way far better than the X-fi.Its like an big upgrade .Something like EP630 to RE1 .The cMoy is yours,its a real good amp to start off with and there you can change the amps to suit your style.

BF1983 said:
Congrats dude ! Glad to know you love them. I was scared of getting hate mail from you if the D4 was not to your tastes !!! :)

I am in total love with it .I am not gonna sell it to you at Rs 50/- :p..My roomies were confused why as to i spent 237USD such small thing it took me 1 hour to explain them .Difficult to make noobs understand whats audiophile stuff:mad:.I might pester u again in some days for a headphone get ready :p

I was worried that its gonna be big and i have to get a bigger pouch than the one i have now to carry the d2 & D4.Now i am looking for a small pouch.

This thing shines only when it is fed by correct power.I took the battery from my cMoy and used with D4 ,i was worried because it was not sounding good then realized that battery is dead :ashamed:.Replaced the battery and OMG :O it sounds amazing.

On a side note can you suggest some good long lasting rechargeable batteries 9v.I read in head-fi that 9V 500mah is good(ipowerUS) .Can you shed some light on the same.

Nice man! Congrats. Much smaller than I thought it would be. Even if you don't get down to doing a review let us know what kind of battery life you get :)

ebay has some nice 6 inch interconnects (Japanese Canare cable ones) for $8 shipped if you're not happy with the bundled one.

Back