Auto Reboot script for MTNL/BSNL NU plan using Netgear DG834G

I am happy to say that I am able to automate reboot script with Netgear DG834Gv3 WiFi-ADSL2+ Router.

I always had to manually recycle the power for this device in order to reboot as:

a. The Telnet server is not enabled on the DG834Gv3 by default router. It can only be enabled using a debug script and even then it will only last till the next reboot after which the Telner Service gets disabled again. Also you have to open a browser to do this.

b. It doesnt work well with the telnet scripting application TST10.EXE (atleast I couldnt figure out a way till now)
My Method:

1. Download CURL (cURL - Download - 7.19.2 - 1.18mb) and extract it a folder (ex: C:\MTNL)

**CURL is used to enable TELNET service by passing the router credentials along with the debugging URL in the form of:
curl.exe --basic --user username:password --url "http://192.168.1.1/setup.cgi?todo=debug"

2. Create a file called NETGEAR.TXT and put it in the same folder as CURL. This file should contain the IP Address of your Netgear device (ex: 192.168.1.1) and nothing else.

3. Create a file called NETGEAR.VBS using Notepad and put the following code in it:

'----BEGINNING-OF-SCRIPT-----
'Created for MAC filtering maintenance
'opens a TELNET session to all AP's
On Error Resume Next
strComputer = "."
filespec="C:\MTNL\netgear.txt" 'data file with IP addresses

Dim objFSO, a, s, WshShell, Windir, i, objWMIService

Set objFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:\\" & strComputer & "\root\cimv2")

s = objFSo_Opentextfile(filespec,1,true).ReadAll
a = Split(s,vbCrLf)

Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
WinDir = WshShell.ExpandEnvironmentStrings("%WinDir%")

For i=0 to UBound(a)
If Trim(a(i))<>"" Then
'Launch telnet session from the command line
WshShell.Run "telnet " & a(i)
'Wait until the application has loaded
WScript.Sleep 300
Set ColProcesses = objWMIService.ExecQuery("Select * from Win32_Process",,48)
For Each Process in ColProcesses
If Process.Name = "Telnet " & a(i) Then
WshShell.AppActivate Process.Name
End If
Next
wscript.sleep 200
WshShell.SendKeys "{ENTER}"
wscript.sleep 200
WshShell.SendKeys "reboot"
wscript.sleep 200
WshShell.SendKeys "{ENTER}"
wscript.sleep 200
End If
Next
'----END-OF-SCRIPT-----
4. Create a batchfile using notepad called REBOOT.BAT with the code given below and put it in C:\MTNL.

cd C:\MTNL\
C:\MTNL\curl.exe --basic --user username:pass --url "http://192.168.1.1/setup.cgi?todo=debug"
cd C:\MTNL
C:\MTNL\curl.exe --basic --user username:pass --url "http://192.168.1.1/setup.cgi?todo=debug"
cd C:\MTNL
netgear.vbs

5. Use Windows Task Scheduler to run REBOOT.BAT at 12:10 am as well as 7:50 am.

Please do let me know if there is a simpler method.

Technically the above method should (with or without the CURL part) work with just about any router as long as it can be accessed using TELNET.

hi,

it is not working for me. router does not reboot. i have followed exactly what you have written. could it be because i am using windows 7.

Back