Security Software Avira tops in detection rate

Gauravs90 said:
morgoth you can't post that link

why not?
Their terms do not allow the report to be hosted elsewhere without their permission. He has posted the link to the original article. That looks OK to me.

CA50 said:
@gaurav, can`t say so, i use avast, haven`t been infected once.

Doesn't mean zilch. You might not have been infected even once because you don't have much/ any exposure to virus infections.

I used to push Avast a lot to clients who didn't want to pay for a good AV but it's become crappy. The only good feature of Avast nowadays is the very powerful boot scan (when it can detect the virii). Nowadays I suggest Avira/ AVG to the free or pirate guys and Nod32 to those willing to pay.

ANy reasons why u feel AVAST has become crappy? I am trying AVIRA these days. Seems like it doesnot update on its own i have to manually update it lol! Yes the pre-boot scan of avast is a real good feature!:cool2:

Naga said:
Doesn't mean zilch. You might not have been infected even once because you don't have much/ any exposure to virus infections.

I used to push Avast a lot to clients who didn't want to pay for a good AV but it's become crappy. The only good feature of Avast nowadays is the very powerful boot scan (when it can detect the virii). Nowadays I suggest Avira/ AVG to the free or pirate guys and Nod32 to those willing to pay.

Rockfella said:
ANy reasons why u feel AVAST has become crappy?

Doesn't detect most of the common virii running rampant in most of my client's work environments. Most of them had purchased Avast Pro from us. In one of those bizarre instances, work had stalled on many machines in a single work environment because Avast was detecting a virus (forgot name) on all pen drives being attached and prompting for user action. It was perpetual in the sense that all the host machines were themselves infected (which obviously Avast did not detect) and was re-infecting the drives as soon as Avast cleaned the drive :mad: ! That one instance cost me a hell lotta time to fix. And that after convincing my clients to upgrade from pirated Nortons to paid Avast :no:!

Ohhkk... so any good sides of AVIRA? I am using it these days.... nothing much to observe @ this point of time.... just that i have to manually update it. What if i connected an infected pen drive to my pc without manually updating avira? isint that risky? :huh: AVIRA should have auto update... anywhere in settings? :ashamed:

Naga said:
Doesn't detect most of the common virii running rampant in most of my client's work environments. Most of them had purchased Avast Pro from us. In one of those bizarre instances, work had stalled on many machines in a single work environment because Avast was detecting a virus (forgot name) on all pen drives being attached and prompting for user action. It was perpetual in the sense that all the host machines were themselves infected (which obviously Avast did not detect) and was re-infecting the drives as soon as Avast cleaned the drive :mad: ! That one instance cost me a hell lotta time to fix. And that after convincing my clients to upgrade from pirated Nortons to paid Avast :no:!

^^uhm, there is no need to manually update AFAIK....make sure u have "Expert Mode enabled....then go to "Configure Antivir" , "General" and under "Update", u can set to autoupdate the client.

I am using the free version... where is this feature in the free one? It doesnot give me option to autu update in less than 24 hours:(

RedBull said:
^^uhm, there is no need to manually update AFAIK....make sure u have "Expert Mode enabled....then go to "Configure Antivir" , "General" and under "Update", u can set to autoupdate the client.

Go to Configuration->click the checkbox next to 'Expert mode'-> you can see General settings - > updates . you'll find settings for autoupdate, proxy settings etc.

yep done was about to post :)

Blugene said:
Go to Configuration->click the checkbox next to 'Expert mode'-> you can see General settings - > updates . you'll find settings for autoupdate, proxy settings etc.

Back