B.Tech suggestion needed.

vercetti4x6

Disciple
Hi. I'm studying in B.Tech, 2nd year in Computer Science.
1. I got F grade in 2nd semester chemistry. I cleared the exams in summer term. I'm disgusted about this F grade as I had never failed in any exam in my life. My CGPA after 2 semesters is 8.5. Does this F grade remain as a big blackmark in my career? Is it possible for me to get into MNCs even with this F grade?
2. If I quit this college and join an NIT by writing AIEEE in 2011, does the 2 year gap have a big negative impact?
Also, I want to join M.S after engineering.
Please suggest which is better, continuing in the same college or joining new one?

Will that "F" grade reflect on your final grade card? Confirm it with seniors. I don't think it's worth to drop out of course and join new college just because you flunked one subject.

Let me tell you about me. I was the district topper in Maths in my class 12 (98 on 100) and one year later I fell sick during exams and flunked not one but two papers (one was maths :ashamed: ). I had a D grade in both which was fail. I managed to get through PricewaterhouseCoopers which needed me to have 80% in 10th and 12th and 75% in Engineering. Now I am doing my masters in Engineering design. Long story short wont affect you to that extent if you maintain good grades now on. On the other hand 2 years drop will only end up making you miserable and lagging behind your batch mates. Your CGPA of 8.5 is quite impressive and I dont think it should be a problem.

Edit: Check my website for the other cool stuff I did :)

The marks is a no black mark when you are going to get a job

No one is going to look at your first year acdamics ..

all they will seeing is your core computer science paper.so better dont get that on those

Reference-DIP and BE in EEE

I'd got a few back papers during B.Tech and the only time it affected me was during placement time when I couldn't sit for companies which had the no-backs requirement. Apart from the first job/campus placement I don't think the grades in your bachelors have any real impact on your chances. Besides, stuff you couldn't really wrap your head around during classes seem ridiculously simple once you start working with them in a job.

I'd say its stupid to gamble away another two years trying for AIEEE. Just concentrate on figuring out one area in Computer Science that you can be really confident in; that will help you more than even the college name. Also I'd recommend going for MS only after you've got a couple of years of work experience. Not only would you have a better perspective but chances are you'd also figure out what you really want to specialize in by that time.

Alright. Thanks a lot guys. I'll try to improve my grades from this semester.
@Konquerror: The F grade does appear in the final grade card.

PS: Thanks chiron. Yeah, I'll do M.S after a few years because what you said really seems right. Also, i'll need some money for doing M.S as I'm from a middle class family.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

@konquerror: the F grade appears in the final card. Thanks for your wishes.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

During campus placement, if they ask about my F grade, should I accept it honestly that I had no seriousness or should I lie to them that I had health problems?

^ You can't lie to them about one subject. Be honest during the hiring process. You have a very good CGP and there is no cause for worry.

agantuk said:
^ You can't lie to them about one subject. Be honest during the hiring process. You have a very good CGP and there is no cause for worry.
+1. Relax. It wont be that much of a problem. You will be fine. Max some company in placement with no-back requirement may cause issue, but rest shouldnt be a problem. Most of the IT MNCs are ok with it, so long as you mange the interview well and your communication skills are ok.

Alright. Thanks a lot for all your suggestions. You've made me worry a bit less about myself and concentrate more on my studies. Thanks again.:)

Usually most college and companies look at the grades from the 5th semester onwards. A 8.5 CGPA is excellent, don't even think of answering AIEEE!

Back