Bad olx experience. Guy snatched keyboard.

tf, did he try to run away with keyboard?
He wanted both the item. That was his plan. He sent me fake message that I got the amount. Till then he already kept the keyboard in his bag. Luckily I knew something was off so kept the tab and pencil with me.

One thing i learnt always trust your gut. I was getting a bad feeling hence kept the tab with me.

He wanted both the item. That was his plan. He sent me fake message that I got the amount. Till then he already kept the keyboard in his bag. Luckily I knew something was off so kept the tab and pencil with me.

One thing i learnt always trust your gut. I was getting a bad feeling hence kept the tab with me.

i normally only accept cash on olx but then again i havent sold anything more than 5-6k on there.

Last edited by a moderator:
OLX are good only for lower value products. High value products are risky, specially from buying prospective. And for sale accept cash ONLY. Many times the server shows processing and you are stuck. The buyer says I Paid you, buy you haven't received it.

Man it's the basics. You don't handover the item or let the buyer touch the items before confirming the payment on your end. Sounds like sth straight from the GTA.

Can't imagine something like this happening with me. I'd be too anxious to possibly chase the guy. Maybe fight or flight to the rescue.

Do you genuinely belive that the police would actually recover your keyboard? They did nothing for my stolen Android that could have been easily traced with the IMEIs. How are they even going to locate the keyboard?
Yeah a lesson learnt for 12000
That's way way expensive for a keyboard. Which brand/model was it?
And for sale accept cash ONLY. Many times the server shows processing and you are stuck. The buyer says I Paid you, buy you haven't received it.
Cash only may not be everybody's cup of tea. We mustn't forget the case of counterfeit currencies. The scammer would be long gone with your belongings before you figure that a few 500 rupee notes were fake.

As far as the 'processing' is concerned, it's a rare occurrence. I've personally never encountered a stuck case. Am yet to encounter a case where NEFT/IMPS got stuck. But can't vouch for everybody's experience. Point is, there shouldn't be any exchange before the payment is confirmed. If it's stuck, then the buyer has to wait.

Last edited:
Man it's the basics. You don't handover the item or let the buyer touch the items before confirming the payment on your end. Sounds like sth straight from the GTA.

Can't imagine something like this happening with me. I'd be too anxious to possibly chase the guy. Maybe fight or flight to the rescue.

Do you genuinely belive that the police would actually recover your keyboard? They did nothing for my stolen Android that could have been easily traced with the IMEIs. How are they even going to locate the keyboard?

Cash only may not be everybody's cup of tea. We mustn't forget the case of counterfeit currencies. The scammer would be long gone with your belongings before you figure that a few 500 rupee notes were fake.

As far as the 'processing' is concerned, it's a rare occurrence. I've personally never encountered a stuck case. Am yet to encounter a case where NEFT/IMPS got stuck. But can't vouch for everybody's experience. Point is, there shouldn't be any exchange before the payment is confirmed. If it's stuck, then the buyer has to wait.
I do have such an instance for failed online transaction. Luckily the failed notification came after 10-15mins. Better to deal in cash(inform the buyer in advance), let the buyer use ATMs for cash withdrawn minimising the probability of counterfeit note. It's all about individual comfort zone. In the end it should be a deal not a robbery.

let the buyer use ATMs for cash withdrawn minimising the probability of counterfeit note.
Man, I was not talking about the instances where the odd counterfeit note comes up. The OP dealt with a scammer who arrived on the scene with the intention to scam. If the scammer were to deal in cash, he would definitely come with fake notes. You never know who you deal with in such F2F deals. They can easily lie that the cash was withdrawn from an ATM.
It's all about individual comfort zone. In the end it should be a deal not a robbery.
Sure thing.

OLX are good only for lower value products. High value products are risky, specially from buying prospective. And for sale accept cash ONLY. Many times the server shows processing and you are stuck. The buyer says I Paid you, buy you haven't received it.
True that.

I know police will not do anything. And I did not handover the item. He asked to take pics as he was taking of the tab and bill. The good thing is my instinct kicked in I kept the tab. He just put the keyboard case in his bag and then we started arguing he said let's go to his house and sort this. Now this is a bad scenario. His friends can be there. Can beat u up.. and lot of bad things can happen. So I just let go of this. Plus he just zoomed away in his bike. My mistakes did not trust my gut, did not take his bike plate number pic.
The police will be least interested in this but good thing is I filed my first FIR and man it is so teadous. 3 hours I was in police station. Added the acknowledgement here, it's in kannada so I don't know what's written there.

The case was offical Samsung slim keyboard case. Official ones are very expensive. It's was priced around 10k-12k when launched.

Attachments

• IMG_20231222_070207.jpg
    IMG_20231222_070207.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
While dealing with such transactions - selling portable items, automobiles, etc. - it is a safe option to meet near a Police Station/Booth/'beat' locality or at least security if you live in a gated community. Reach there early and notify the police/security about why you're there.

It is deterrence at it's very least. This should be understandable for a prospective buyer with no ill-intent; and even if such buyer is uncomfortable for whatever reason, it's better to call the deal off.

While dealing with such transactions - selling portable items, automobiles, etc. - it is a safe option to meet near a Police Station/Booth/'beat' locality or at least security if you live in a gated community. Reach there early and notify the police/security about why you're there.

It is deterrence at it's very least. This should be understandable for a prospective buyer with no ill-intent; and even if such buyer is uncomfortable for whatever reason, it's better to call the deal off.
Funny thing we were having this deal two streets away from police station. I should have asked in front of police station. But anyways lesson learnt.

Funny thing we were having this deal two streets away from police station. I should have asked in front of police station. But anyways lesson learnt.
Have you tried looking for whether there is any cctv cameras - perhaps at nearby shops, signals where the thief took on his way out, etc. - that happened to cover the license plate?

Most footages are likely deleted within about 2-7days, depending on available storage. So try at once, if haven't already.

Have you tried looking for whether there is any cctv cameras - perhaps at nearby shops, signals where the thief took on his way out, etc. - that happened to cover the license plate?

Most footages are likely deleted within about 2-7days, depending on available storage. So try at once, if haven't already.
There were no shops. Plus the issue happened 8km away from where I live so I think this will be extra hassle for me and then Bangalore traffic.

I've got stuff worth lakhs on OLX from different city (Last one was 1.25L).
You need to be sure of the person you're buying it from (selling in your case). If not call the deal off. I've called it off when the person seemed off in a very minor way too. Its not worth the headache. Always trust your gut and give it the benefit of doubt 10/10 times.

I've got stuff worth lakhs on OLX from different city (Last one was 1.25L).
You need to be sure of the person you're buying it from (selling in your case). If not call the deal off. I've called it off when the person seemed off in a very minor way too. Its not worth the headache. Always trust your gut and give it the benefit of doubt 10/10 times.
Yup. I totally agree with you.

I have dealt with many buyers and sellers from OLX. Never had any bad experience so far. But your case rings alarm bells. Many of my transactions were 50k plus and used Gpay in most of them. And I also sometimes had the apprehensions about the buyers whether they will run away with the product.

Reading such stuff about OLX feels surreal to me. I've bought and sold plenty of stuff on OLX over the years, mostly phones or expensive/heavy gadgets. When it comes to selling large or heavy items like speakers or home appliances etc, I prefer OLX than any other platforms because then I can let the buyer worry about moving/transporting it. Same for expensive things like iphones or ipads. Shipping them used to feel too stressful because of unreliable nature of shippers in the past (which seem to have improved a lot in recent years).

Where I live (A'bad), I've never worried too much about inviting strangers to my home. I only do that if I feel the buyer is genuinely interested and is offering something in the acceptable range of bargaining. Most such deals have been a satisfying exchange/experience for both me and the buyer. When I am buying, I do the same and insist on checking the product first before any transactions and have always received the same kind of invitation. A few times, in cases of phones, I've done deals on the road and in each cases, I always brought a friend along to keep an eye out as phone snatching was not entirely unheard of.

I've bought and sold few item from OLX, I always find sellers who are staying in my vicinity, and I always collect item from their home or office and always visit sellers with my one or two friends, and while selling I deal only from my home. I dont know if this is the right way to go but never had such kind of experience. And i never buy in hurry.

OLX is full of scammers,
within 10 minutes of posting my pc for sale,
I got a msg, the guy was ready to buy , bargained a little , he offered exactly the price i was expecting. But he asked me to ship it to delhi or bring it myseld. he said he will pay all the extra costs, it was already looking suspicious, so i called him to tell him he should atleast pay 20% before i come there with the PC and in the background i heard some guy talking on call, he was saying the same stuff , bring your stuff to delhi i can't come to ur location i will pay the extra shipping cost and all. at that exact moment i knew these were scammers i cut the call and saved my time and headache.

Back