Storage Solutions Bad Sectors on HDD

plsoft

Adept
Recently my 3 yrs old Seagate SATA 200GB drive developed bad sectors so i removed it and bought a new WD Caviar Blue 500GB on 2nd of March. I also have a Seagate 80 GB IDE drive (approx 3yrs) which is working fine. Today my windows froze as i was transferring some files from the IDE drive to the new WD drive. On checking the event viewer it reported bad blocks on the WD drive, i later confirmed this by scanning the drive with HD Tune. Before i do anything about it i would like to know if it's my motherboard/SMPS that's damaging the drives or just bad luck with the drives.

Is there any way i can scan my motherboard for any malfunction?

Here's my configuration:

Windows 7 32bit
AMD X2 3600+
Asus M2A-VM HDMI (approx 3 yrs)
Kingston 1GBx2 667
Seagate 80GB IDE (OS)
WD Caviar Blue 500GB SATA
ASUS DVD RW SATA
DELL 19" Wide
APC 650VA
Microsoft Keyboard/Mouse
Zebronics PSU 400W

Thanking you all in advance.

Hard to tell.. You may be unlucky with a bad WD HDD in the first place or the SMPS/mobo...... Have you experienced some crashes recently...

No crashes, windows freezes when i access files in the first partition of the WD drive, but resumes after few seconds. So i'm assuming the bad sector to be on this partition. I've no problem accessing files in other partitions. BTW my OS is installed in the 80GB IDE drive.

From what I know, you are just a bit unlucky my friend.
Hard drives these days do not develop bad sectors that easily with power supply issues. Nevertheless, it is not easy to rule it out.
Do check if there is any sort of vibration in the area where the HDD is mounted on the cabinet. Hard disks have a good horizontal shock resistance but a not so good vertical shock resistance.
Glad the new drive is within warranty and hope you don't lose any more data.

Back