Graphic Cards Bare Minimum-22" HD

sumchamp

Skilled
Hi folks,

I m upgrading from 9600GT to mid-range card for my newly bought Samsung 2233sw HD monitor. I want to play games on its native resolution (i.e 1920x1080) with almost all eye candies turned on. I m eyeing on GTX260 c216 but also want to know which card is bare minimum for my HD monitor. I m not a avid gamer but a casual gamer who likes to play on weekends. Also try suggesting with my PSU(i.e VX450) in mind which i dont wanna upgrade rite now. Thanks.

4870 512MB handles all games fine, except GTA IV, where quad core shine, 6gb RAM is utilized n can max all details w/ 1GB cards.

Still used 4870 is best VFM currently.

At HD resolution id highly recommend a 1 GB card. In the ATI side a Radeon HD 4870 and in Nvidia the GTX 260 is the best choice, tho it has only 896 MB of ram. Should be sufficient though future trends of games are pointing at higher and higher amounts of ram. Both should cost you around 10-11k i guess. Both should run on your PSU with no problems either. The ATI card does consume more power though, both at idle and load.

Main concern of running GTX260 in my present setup is PSU.

Will it be able to power up GTX260 along with 2HDDs and 4200+ X2 proccy.?

IMO the thing that needs to be replaced first is the AMD procc, I had the X2 4200 and I found that it was a bottleneck with the the 9600GT. So i suggest keep the 9600GT for now and try to upgrade the other parts like the psu, mobo+procc.

At HD resolutions, i don't think the proccy will be much of a bottleneck with all work offloaded to GPU.

Since u have overclocked to 2.6, u should be fine. :)

@sumchamp, i got the 4850 :eek:hyeah:
Though not tried any games on it.

RoBoGhOsT said:
4870 512MB handles all games fine, except GTA IV, where quad core shine, 6gb RAM is utilized n can max all details w/ 1GB cards.

Still used 4870 is best VFM currently.

GTX 260 Core 216 896MB is currently cheaper than 4870 512MB and wayyy cheaper than 4870 1gb and beats both of them hugely/marginally in most games.

SO i wud recommend a GTX 260 Core 216 for ~ 10.8k

sumchamp said:
Main concern of running GTX260 in my present setup is PSU.

Will it be able to power up GTX260 along with 2HDDs and 4200+ X2 proccy.?

I recommend a Geforce GTX 260 Core 216. It performs as well as a Radeon 4870 1GB but is priced much lower. Your psu should be able to handle the Geforce GTX 260 Core 216.

knoughtyd said:
How will 4770 fare?? there is a talk of 1gb version coming out:D

That won't do wonders its only 128bit card :p 1gb is an overkill for it even if it has GDDr5 :p

@ OP : Get the 260 .. Its better than 4870 and drivers for nvidia has always been the strong part :)

^^Eh? Why so? Memory bus width dosent matter, talk about the bandwidth.

Its got enough bandwidth with the gddr5, and the ram comes severly downclocked to 3200 mhz, can easily be overclocked to 4000 mhz and at this speed its got the same bandwidth as a 4850. Future trends are pointing to more and more Vram being used in games. Already some games show greater performance using 1 gb vs 512 MB. Going with a 1 GB card isnt a bad thing.

I agree with the other guys tho, GTX 260 core 216 sells for a good price, 4870 cant match it here. And it should run on the psu absolutely fine tho yea i'd recommend a proccy upgrade too. Its not a huge bottleneck but it'll hold you back a bit

Back