BASIC Linux Question...

felix

Disciple
I've heard a lot bout linux's security and stability etc..which are all true....
but one thing iv noticed bout linux is that it seems to be inherently "slower" in everything than xp...app loading, booting everything...

maybe it's just me but my frnds have said the same and ive never seen this discussed anywhere till now...

???
p.s: im neither a windows fanboy nor a linux one....just asking to get things cleared...

Hmm.. If you install all those Apache and MySQL server it will boot slower .. Making it a networked computer also add some time to boot ..

Which distro are you using mate? Some popular ones like Fedora, Suse, Mandrake unfortunately are not at all optimised for speed, and can feel really slow, slower than even windows XP, with its eye candy turned on.

But this is not too difficult to cure, first of all, the biggest bottleneck in linux performance is the Desktop Environment / Window Manager. You will probably be using Gnome or KDE, which are unfortunately quite slow. This is especially true for Gnome. I have no idea what made Gnome, GTK, Pango etc all become much slower immediately with version 2.0 :\ anyway, the simple solution is to use a different environment. Maybe XFCE. This is a very fast and good looking gnome-like desktop environment, it will provide a remarkable improvement in performance.

You can also opt for a plain and simple window manager like fluxbox or icewm. This will be much faster than any desktop environment, but the tradeoff is a lower level of integration.

And now what is important is the number of services loaded up while booting. As batty said, many distributions install things like http servers, ftp servers, which are automatically loaded on each boot. The simple way to disable these varies from distro to distro, but you can probably configure your services using the tools "chkconfig" and "ntsysv" if you use a redhat like distro. Type "man chkconfig" etc. in a terminal window to know more about each.

And lastly, tweaking linux turns out extremely easy after a little patience at first. You just can follow the /etc/inittab file and see whatever initialisation scripts are being run by the system, and modifying them at will.

Also, if you want a very responsive distro out of the box, try Vector Linux.

And finally, don't worry, the sluggishness is not a problem with linux, but with most modern distro's. My slackware box on 266MHz, 128MB RAM runs as smooth as XP on a 2ghz, 256MB RAM machine :eek:hyeah:

A lot of the problem is that everyone I know just selects "complete install" with all 5GB of s/w and MySQL, Apache, mail servers, ftp servers, gateways and god alone knows what else.

see to get a faster boot up u can go for windows 98, but then the stability issues occur. linux loads faster but needs to be optimized/tweaked as said before. I have a comp at my office which has both linux and windows xp installed. But there linux loads faster than xp becuase i haven't re-installed xp for more than 3 years. i have installed linux like 10 times then i got the hang of it. Experimentation is the key here. See microsoft india is going to get heavy on piracy pretty soon (because they are coming out with an indian windows xp version) so my advise is either get a hang of linux or simply buy windows xp when it comes. (well you can have them both if you please :) )

well it depends on the distros and the computer speed u are having. Debian which is not easy to install can work even on and 386 with 16mb ram to the high end machine. Fedora for example bogs down my A64 3000+ with 512mb ram like my old 266Mhz comp. But Suse with all the eye candy turned on is damn fast on my Amd n faster than xp :p then there are distros which are also optimized for slow computers, slackware rocks on this front :D

Linux or should i say kde does hang sometimes. so its not like 100% stable

Btw anyone used suse 9.3 is any better than 9.1. worth upgrading to 9.3????

Back