PC Peripherals Benq 1640, is it needed?

observer

Disciple
Do you guys think Benq 1640 is worth waiting for? If I am not wrong, 1640 has major advtg with DL media. As it is DL media is hardly available here, even though DVD Writers have become a common thing. Even if cos like MBI happen to launch DL media, I am sure it would be low speed junk at unresonable prices. I dont know if we would be able to utilize the DL speed pontential of even 1620. Then should I wait for 1640 or should I buy 1620pro or some better drive? Is the LG4136B good, compared to 1620(pro). I have found, in Mumbai, dealers are refraining from Benq drives these days. Many dealing in Benq witers earlier have stopped now.

Thanks

I have found, in Mumbai, dealers are refraining from Benq drives these days
Many dealing in Benq witers earlier have stopped now.

Many Dealers dont have Benq in Mumbai so they refrain u from getting it ;)
So many ppl have Benq DW 1620/1620pro/1640 ask if ne one has probs.
Also read the reviews online are they nuts recommending DW1640.

AFAIK DW1640 is the best.
Ask someone from Chennai to ship the drive for you the DW1640 is there in Chennai
if you cant wait for it to come to Mumbai.

1st rule of thumb: Never listen 2 what dealers say, they will mostly try to push the stuff that they have. It doesnt in the least matter to them whether they are causing a diservice to the customer ;)

Secondly if u have some urgent data back job then get the 1620 since 1620 also supports dvd+r DL format if the need arises. Or else get in the queue :)

I am not disagreeing about the performance of 1640. My view is, if DL media is not available easily and at an economic price point, should one wait for 1640? Many have 1620 or X-Brand of DL writer, but in absence of DL media the technology is wasted.

observer said:
I am not disagreeing about the performance of 1640. My view is, if DL media is not available easily and at an economic price point, should one wait for 1640? Many have 1620 or X-Brand of DL writer, but in absence of DL media the technology is wasted.
DL media isnt entirely absent. Its just too expensive right now and ppl dont seem to need more than 4.3Gbs for backups; hence the dl discs are not gaining any popularity due to low sales. But then sooner or later its going to happen. Like i said if u want the writer now get the 1620, its tried and tested.

Back