Video Best 40" tv within a budget

Striker10

Skilled
Hi guys,

My friend is looking to buy a 40" lcd panel for his parents as a gift. He's planning to buy a grey market piece as it would be cheaper.
tp://www.ebay.in/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170871560364

or

SONY BRAVIA 40BX450 FULL HD LCD TV +DEALERS WARRANTY | eBay

or

BRAND NEW SAMSUNG 40EH5000 LED TV 40" FULL HD LED TV+1 YEAR DEALERS WARRANTY | eBay

or

SONY BRAVIA 42" 42EX410 FULL HD LED TV +1 YEAR WARRANTY | eBay

He wants to select one for less than 38K so the last one can be ignored. Should have complete USB playback compabilities and a nice SD picture quality performance.

Thanks!

Chuck that plasma TV - it isn't a full-hd model.

Out of those models you've selected, the EH5000 (2012 model) and the 42EX410 are good. The EX410 has an IPS panel I believe and the Samsung TV would have an amazing USB media playback support.

and the Samsung TV would have an amazing USB media playback support.

Yes the samsung is good - however I have a different opinion about USB playback capabilities of ANY HDTV
What will playback smoothly is only DVD content & DVD-Rips & of file sizes <4GB
What will create a problem (stutter/AV-Delay/Sync Issues/freezing etc) is files >4GB and mkv files (1080p or even 720p)

The latter will occur because a USB drive is a simple device which does not have any hardware decoding capabilities. To resolve this issue one has to use a dedicated HD media player connected thru an HDMI port (which has better bandwidth than USP port).

Lastly, larger the TV-Screen 42 & above - the more problems will occur from using just the usb port (and pendrives) for viewing HD content.

I keep repeating this a number of times because quite often buyers are not aware of this fact (neither are salespersons) & end up feeling dissappointed or cheated. I conducted tests on various HDTV's and ALL showed the same results.

What will create a problem (stutter/AV-Delay/Sync Issues/freezing etc) is files >4GB and mkv files (1080p or even 720p)

JFYI I have been using a Samsung LA40C630 (2010 model) since October 2010 and the display does not show ABSOLUTELY any sign of hiccups no matter what the size of the media file is. I have tried files ranging from 300 MB .avi rips to 22GB .mkv blu-ray rips and it does not stutter/freeze or give any sync issues during the playback. The TV does the DTS/Dolby D passthrough via the optical out as well. Which is precisely the reason I haven't got myself a media player until today.

Hard drives take about approx. 10 seconds to be detected whereas flash drives are detected in < 3 seconds and browsing through the folder structure is a breeze.

The only issue I've had until today is the non-playback of .m2ts files. These files aren't supported on Samsung displays. Not sure about the rest.

JFYI I have been using a Samsung LA40C630 (2010 model) since October 2010 and the display does not show ABSOLUTELY any sign of hiccups no matter what the size of the media file is. I have tried files ranging from 300 MB .avi rips to 22GB .mkv blu-ray rips and it does not stutter/freeze or give any sync issues during the playback. The TV does the DTS/Dolby D passthrough via the optical out as well. Which is precisely the reason I haven't got myself a media player until today.

Hard drives take about approx. 10 seconds to be detected whereas flash drives are detected in < 3 seconds and browsing through the folder structure is a breeze.

The only issue I've had until today is the non-playback of .m2ts files. These files aren't supported on Samsung displays. Not sure about the rest.

I stand corrected in this particular case Samsung LA40C630 & maybe there are other models too that may permit smooth playback. (I had done these checks on most LCD/LED TV's a year back Sony; LG & Samsung). Morewover HDMI vs USB bandwidth differs majorly in favor of HDMI.

Thanks @Gannu

Last edited by a moderator:
The USB playback ability in LG displays are handicapped to a certain extent. The interface is a bit shoddy (looks like some kindergarten kid designed it!) and not all the codecs are supported. I say this because some of the .mkv files that played fine on my display failed to play properly on my friend's LG LED display. Sometimes the audio format is unsupported or sometimes the video itself isn't.

I got him a Asus O!Play Mini media player later.

Thank you very much. Looks like he doesn't want to go for a grey markoduct now.what do you think of this product e490 43inch plasme??

That plasma has poor contrast in daytime/ambient light hitting the screen and at with no ambient light it can just match a lcd from samsung/sony with VA panel.

Friend finally went for 40" 2012 Samsung model(40EH5000) and its great. Looks fantastic too.

Plays all HD formats really well(found some jerks in one of the HD encodes, not sure why). Thanks all for your help!!

I won't recommend you the plasma at any cost. going for LED would be the best choice for you.
Personally speaking, I don't like any of the models given above worth recommending. I adore the PQ of samsung EH5000 but still I am bit concerned about the viewing angle of the same.

Back