Video Best 42" plasma available

intelxeon

Disciple
My 29" Sony CRT is on its death bed. I am looking for my first flat screen. Help me decide on a 42" plasma (and yes, i know the difference between LCD and plasma and the pros and cons of each of them). Below are some of my restrictions

1. No more than 42 inches - small living room
  2. Price is no issue - that does not mean i am just going to throw my money out the window :hap5: . I can stretch my budget to 2L (i think i can get a good (best?) 42" plasma for that kind of money)
  3. Prefer Full HD - not a must - mainly used for Harthway, DVDs (might get a Bluray player/PS3 later this year)

Below are some of the models that i have considered - auditioned/look at/read about

1. Pioneer PDP-428XG - priced at 1.4L. Older model - i presume its 2007's. No Full HD. For that kind of money, i should be getting a Full HD. I know it is Pioneer and how good their Plasmas are. Anyway, it not available at Bangalore (pro audiotronics). Even if i am will to spend that kind of money, i am not sure if i will get support/service/warranty for a discontinued product. :no:
  2. Panasonic X10 - not yet out in India. Not sure when it will be launched in Indian. Launched in Singapore and Malaysia. Price at around 50K there.
  3. Panasonic G10/V10 - not launched in India, Singapore or Malaysia. So i presume it might be quite a while before it gets launched in India (6 months?)
  4. Panasonic X80 - priced at ~55K - No Full HD. Older model. Will be discontinued for the newer C10/X10/S10/G10/V10.

Questions
  1. Is Pioneer PDP-428XG at 1.4L a good buy today? (when other new models are lined up - might not be as good as PDP, but way cheaper). If its not available at Pro Audiotronics, Bangalore - where else to look for it?
  2. Getting X10/G10/V10 from grey market - have anyone been that path? If you have reliable sources please send me contact details - prefer Bangalore (not sure if its against forum rules)
  3. Any confirmed dates of new Panasonic plasma launch in India?

well with a budget of 2lakh and space constraint in the plasma route u can go for the pioneer model u have mentioned,but since pioneer as a very low presence in india and the fact that they stopped producing them,if by chance ur tv does go wrong i doubt their service.so for this reason alone i would stawy away from pioneer.
afaik in grey market u don't get plasmas .
panasonic models are good but no idea when the new models will be launched in india,if they do launch the new models u can check out the G10.

but with ur budget u can get plenty of options in lcds,u can wait for the new samsung luxia 8000 led lcd tv or samsung B750 lcd tv b launched in india they both have the 200hz and have the improved panel and contrast which surpasses most of the plasmas out there except the 9g 50,60inch kuro.u can also wait for the upcoming samsung luxia 9 or u can probably order a samsung series 950A lcd in grey market or fly to thailand and get it for about a lakh u can even get a sony x450 around 1lakh.

adder said:
well with a budget of 2lakh and space constraint in the plasma route u can go for the pioneer model u have mentioned,but since pioneer as a very low presence in india and the fact that they stopped producing them,if by chance ur tv does go wrong i doubt their service.so for this reason alone i would stawy away from pioneer.
afaik in grey market u don't get plasmas .
panasonic models are good but no idea when the new models will be launched in india,if they do launch the new models u can check out the G10.

but with ur budget u can get plenty of options in lcds,u can wait for the new samsung luxia 8000 led lcd tv or samsung B750 lcd tv b launched in india they both have the 200hz and have the improved panel and contrast which surpasses most of the plasmas out there except the 9g 50,60inch kuro.u can also wait for the upcoming samsung luxia 9 or u can probably order a samsung series 950A lcd in grey market or fly to thailand and get it for about a lakh u can even get a sony x450 around 1lakh.
I think i will wait for a couple of weeks (max a month) for X10/G10 - to get it from the grey market or showroom.

About the LCD TVs (maybe a different thread, but), i am not a big fan Samsung. I did look at the latest edge lit and it was not all that exciting. Maybe the Luxia 9000 will be good, but its not yet out in US and is expected by Nov(?). That is too far out.

If nothing works our by next month, i will go for Sony 46X450 - it is little bigger for my liking (40" dont have LED backlit). On Sony web, it is priced at 2.03L. Anyone has bought it at a better price?

Why not the Pioneer Kuro? I dont know the model name, etc, but it is one of the best plasmas around.

Otherwise, the Panasonic PV80. Chaos is buying one. Which means it's good.

Nikhil said:
Why not the Pioneer Kuro? I dont know the model name, etc, but it is one of the best plasmas around.

Otherwise, the Panasonic PV80. Chaos is buying one. Which means it's good.

Pioneer Kuro
  1. PDP 428XG - 8th Gen - 2007 model - not Full HD. Not available in Bangalore - Costs Rs1,40,000 in Bangalore (@ delhi will be available from June first week for Rs1,49,000 - my take is, it is a older model (and expensive)
  2. KRP 500 - 9th Gen - 2008 Model - Full HD - available at Bangalore for Rs3,99,000 - wayyy tooo expensive

Panasonic PV80 is a 11Gen plasma - 2008 Model. I am waiting/looking for 12th gen which is NeoPDP displays (X10/G10/V10) which will be better (not sure how much) than PV8s

TechHead said:
^You sure about the Kuro price? Last I heard, it was closer to 1L.

Yep. If its 1L, i will take 2 of them ;)

Visited the Bangalore Showroom and Called Up the delhi guys

Pioneer Gallery @ Bangalore
Pro Audiotronics India Pvt Ltd
G001 & G-002, Ground Floor,
Sigma Mall, Cunnigham Road,
Bangalore - 560052
Tel: +91-9845430919 (Madhan)

Pioneer Gallery @ New Delhi
Innovation World Wide
S253, Second Floor,
Ambience Mall, Ambience Island, NH-8,
Gurgaon, Haryana - 122016
Tel: +91-9899412500 (Raviender), +91-9971056666 (Sandeep)

intelxeon said:
I think i will wait for a couple of weeks (max a month) for X10/G10 - to get it from the grey market or showroom.

About the LCD TVs (maybe a different thread, but), i am not a big fan Samsung. I did look at the latest edge lit and it was not all that exciting. Maybe the Luxia 9000 will be good, but its not yet out in US and is expected by Nov(?). That is too far out.

If nothing works our by next month, i will go for Sony 46X450 - it is little bigger for my liking (40" dont have LED backlit). On Sony web, it is priced at 2.03L. Anyone has bought it at a better price?

well the X450A can be bought for a bit less in the grey market.but it too will be replaced by the upcoming x550a series,in november.
the new panasonic models will take some time imo not until the old stocks are cleared out so we might not see them launch before july.

intelxeon said:
Yep. If its 1L, i will take 2 of them ;)

Visited the Bangalore Showroom and Called Up the delhi guys

Pioneer Gallery @ Bangalore
Pro Audiotronics India Pvt Ltd
G001 & G-002, Ground Floor,
Sigma Mall, Cunnigham Road,
Bangalore - 560052
Tel: +91-9845430919 (Madhan)

Pioneer Gallery @ New Delhi
Innovation World Wide
S253, Second Floor,
Ambience Mall, Ambience Island, NH-8,
Gurgaon, Haryana - 122016
Tel: +91-9899412500 (Raviender), +91-9971056666 (Sandeep)

No no, there was some "Radios" shop in Delhi, Okhla IIRC.
Had spoken with them, were quoting 1.15L at the shop and 1L at the AV Expo last year.
Let me see if I can dig something up.

TechHead said:
No no, there was some "Radios" shop in Delhi, Okhla IIRC.
Had spoken with them, were quoting 1.15L at the shop and 1L at the AV Expo last year.
Let me see if I can dig something up.

Is it Alpha Radios. I sent them an email, but no response. If you have their phone #, please let me know.

Back