CPU/Mobo Best 780i!

Hey guys,

I'm kinda done with my evga 780i (lot of problems and the board has blown! - thats why no 280 review so far), and I'm considering a different board, I'm looking at Striker II formula, 780i FTW, or P7N Diamond, or anything that overclocks well, I'm gonna overclock heavily and so need a board with solid state caps or whatever that can keep up with the overclock,

system specs are in sig. Also reference 780i and 780i FTW both blow nb hot air on to the first card, so I dont wanna get a board which does that, leaving me with striker II and p7n, which from xs does look to be a good buy, any comments on this would also help.

thanks

You blew ur EVGA 780i :O ...

well since u are goin for a 2 way SLI..... You could even consider EVGA 750i FTW...... Its a very good mobo and would save u a lot of cash.....

Overclocks a lot too.....

ronnie_gogs said:
You blew ur EVGA 780i :O ...

well since u are goin for a 2 way SLI..... You could even consider EVGA 750i FTW...... Its a very good mobo and would save u a lot of cash.....

Overclocks a lot too.....

Well honestly the board blew itself, I had a perfectly well OCCT stable 3.6ghz running system with 1600qdr and low volts for nb and fsb 1.3/1.3 and yesterday i started getting crashes, I first thought my procy blew, (as I tried a 4.3ghz 3d run yesterday :ashamed:) then I did run memtest and it failed on stock clocks 1150 5-5-5-15, so I posted in OCZ and the guy there wanted me to check each stick and well both did many passes without errors, just now running system on stock, I'm getting BSOD's :no: so yea, I'm ditching this board, its PITA to overclock and find stable high qdr

And the 750i does look to be a good buy, but I wanna stay with TRI SLI (just in case), and I dont like the refrence cooling since It blows hot air over the first card, can it make the card unstable? cause I'm getting crashes even with low overclocks, although I think thats more driver related, (I have been on beta's for sometime).

Striker II formula is a decent board and will do fine.

But If truth to be told, Nvidia's latest chipsets are not a really a match for X48. but Then you need SLI, so it leaves you with not much of choice.

Thanks guys, striker II was where I wanted to go, I'm not gonna switch to Nehlam soon since, I wanna keep my extreme for some time atleast 1.5yrs, so yep its the Striker II.

Vandal said:
ASUS. Nuff said.

I just noticed that the 780i FTW comes with a 8phase power design, would that make any change in your opinion? And it has come with some encouraging results in evga forums. Worth a second look, people in xs actually think its going to be better, watsay?

thebanik said:
Foxconn dreadnought, though dunno from where u can buy in US.

That sounded great, until I read its 790i lol (790i is ddr3), but the board does look interesting, and I cant find it anywhere here, strange, I dint know Foxconn is not sold in US. but thanks though, any other thoughts?

i_max2k2 said:
That sounded great, until I read its 790i lol (790i is ddr3), but the board does look interesting, and I cant find it anywhere here, strange, I dint know Foxconn is not sold in US. but thanks though, any other thoughts?

availability might be an issue, but again i guess u should not hold urself back to 780i and 750i for DDR3 sticks, you can get nice DDR3 1600, 2 x 1 GB sticks for a little over 100$.

thebanik said:
availability might be an issue, but again i guess u should not hold urself back to 780i and 750i for DDR3 sticks, you can get nice DDR3 1600, 2 x 1 GB sticks for a little over 100$.

ronnie_gogs said:
790i is a good choice IMHO....but i aren't good Overclockable DDR3 rams expensive....

Unfortunately I have ripped off the upc code from my ocz, so cant sent them back, I'd prolly have had, but cant do it now, so ddr2 is what I'm left with:S , so I guess a 780i/750i is what I have to be content with and I have heard good things about 790i so dont take me wrong, would have gone with it, but well.

Back