Best ADSL Modem Available?

Anish

Skilled
So, my brand new GLB-502T is a frickin piece of junk. Keeps dropping the PPPoE connection even though the ADSL line is a solid green.

Worse, it doesn't reconnect, I have to manually login to the router, set connection type to Static, Apply settings, Reset to PPPoE, Re-Enter Login Data and Re-Apply the settings.

So please give me suggestions of the best ADSL Modem I can pickup, I must have an Ethernet port (USB not required).

I'm currently looking at the Linksys AM300, don't mind spending upto $100 also, but it should be VERY reliable.

I'll be using this with a Linksys WRT600N.

Thanks!

^ PM Sent, will be testing out the AM300.

Do keep your suggestions coming in, don't mind buying another one also to test it out for stability and speeds :)

Billion Bipac 5200S ? Been using it for a while now.. Its always on and has never given a problem. Contact CT.. He helped me get it for like 900 :p

The Beetel 220BX that I got with my Airtel connection was pretty stable. Until it died, that is!! Can't blame it though. Been on continuously for over a year!! Never had a single disconnect in all the time I used it. Using a GLB-502T now. No problems yet, but I did have a problem setting it up though. Very finicky! And it won't talk to my WGR614 when I bridge it and set up PPPoE on the router.

Hey, Whats ur s/w version? 3.7.0D.0 ? If then upgrade your firmware (i got it done in the service center). Am using the same modem and its stable.

"NO" to Netgear DM111P. POS. Worked good for over a month, but it died in installments over time.

I have found Huawei's MT882 as best over DM111P like a real companion :) since past 2 years :O ;) Now running 24/7 to power desktop, skype phone, and 2 wifi devices. :p

MT882 has a quick to configure interface and misses none of the feature that a wise man needs, unlike DM111P (buggy always-on setup interface, etc., etc., etc.).

^ The AM300 is supposedly pretty decent. But no personal experience.

@ Gurpartap - Is the MT882 available off the shelves or does it need to be purchased through BSNL only?

Anish said:
^ The AM300 is supposedly pretty decent. But no personal experience.

@ Gurpartap - Is the MT882 available off the shelves or does it need to be purchased through BSNL only?

I haven't seen Huawei modems selling anywhere in the market. Used ones are usually found here in the marketplace. Currently someone with a bulk sale thread in market has a Huawei modem for sale at Rs. 700. It isn't the MT882, but a newer version, that also looks good :p

Gurpartap Singh said:
I haven't seen Huawei modems selling anywhere in the market. Used ones are usually found here in the marketplace. Currently someone with a bulk sale thread in market has a Huawei modem for sale at Rs. 700. It isn't the MT882, but a newer version, that also looks good :p

Which thread boss?

Well we used to have DSL-502T @ our office, used to get frequently disconnected most of the time and many times would work for a day without disconnecting & the frequent connection drop came back the next day.

For testing out if its a modem or line problem we got a friends GLB-50T was stable for a day or two and after that i guess t was also affected by the disconnection plague. But we already got a GLB-802C modem and its having similar problem but less disconnection. As the modem was getting too hot i fixed a 80 MM fan in front of it and the frequent disconnection has vanished but the speed is suffering...........

So i would suggest check if your modem is not getting hot, if that's the problem try cooling it............

Well we wanted to buy the Linksys one but was not available at that time........

Well, for D-link

I have been using it quite sometime now, earlier i had problems but after a firmware upgrade. there aren't any problems.

I am using it in bridge mode, anyone having problem with PPPoE should try setting it on bridge mode;)

Back