PC Peripherals Best alternative to Corsair VX450W

anprav

Disciple
I have a 5 year old pentium 4 setup without any graphic cards. I use it for browsing/downloading/studying and occasional gaming. Off late i became interested in the hardware aspects of my system and developed enthusiasm for upgrading some key components as and when funds were sufficiently available.

This enthusiasm led me to the enthusiast series of CORSAIR PSUs especially the much talked about CORSAIR VX450W which impressed me the most and made up my mind in getting one after reading numerous reviews, discussions and articles about it.

Two weeks back i even enquired about it in SP road Bangalore and got a positive response for its availability at a reasonable price well within my budget of Rs.3200 (stretchable up to Rs.3500). So after two weeks when the money was in hand i set out to get the device, i hear to my utter despair, is that the dealers at Sadar Patrappa Road are telling that CORSAIR has stopped production of the item in question. Curse my bad luck:(

So friends excusing me for the long post please help me with regard to;

1. Is it true that CORSAIR VX450W will no longer be available? Did I miss a golden opportunity?

2. Suggest me the best alternatives for a price range of Rs.3000 to Rs.4000.

3. How about SEASONIC S12 II 520W?

4. Can i go for online purchase from ITWARES or ITDEPOT, are they reliable in delivery after payment? How about after sales service?
My upgrading project of the PC will take a long time (like adding one part in one month or two depending on the funds) and the I am looking at acquiring a low to medium end Graphic card, CPU cooling device(my choice at the moment COOLER MASTER HYPER 212plus) to start with and gradually upgrading the MB and CPU at a later stage.

@Op

The itwares is quite reliable. I have bought 2-3 things from Rahul and he is quite a decent person. All the transactions went quite smooth.

Also the seosonic PSU 520 watt is quite good. You can go for it if it is available locally. Shipping of psus are costly becoz they are quite heavy.

:(

[STRIKE]^ There's no 500W, only 520W.[/STRIKE]

Oops looks like there is.

vip said:
Cooler master gx450

CoolerMaster's 'Gamer' series isn't good. There are better options.
The Sorcerer said:
Antec EA 430?

Are these available, still using the Delta platform?

There have been a few threads with people saying their VX450 has failed suddenly, so not sure if there are issues with QC.

The Seasonic S12II 520 is better, but some people have had issues with tirupati's RMA.

I do not know if it's true or not but most people plug in the European cords that come with the PSUs which don't have the earthing pin.So, I guess if people don't use proper Indian cords then their PSUs will show trouble.

It happened with me too.When I plugged in my CM eXtreme 650w with the European cord,my monitor suddenly started to flicker(not continuously), and when I changed the cord everything was normal.

rite said:
CM GX450 is crap.

Stick to Seasonic, Corsair, CM RealPower/SilentProM/Gold, or higher end Antec PSUs

prove that

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

@Crazy_Eddy

GX450 is different from rest of the 'Gamer' series

vip said:
GX450 is different from rest of the 'Gamer' series

You're right. Its worse. Corsair and Antec's 'Gamer' series are nowhere this bad.

This is how the GX-750 does : Coolermaster GX-750 750W Review

The GX-450 is based on this same Seventeam platform.

Ameet148 said:
I do not know if it's true or not but most people plug in the European cords that come with the PSUs which don't have the earthing pin.So, I guess if people don't use proper Indian cords then their PSUs will show trouble.

This sounds plausible.

Seasonic has a new range of cheap supplies, not sure what they cut out but should be good enough for basic builds with under 2.5K for the PSU.

The Antec EA430 is available again, but I'm somehow not confident they're built by Seasonic, the prices is too low for that compared to what they used to retail for earlier. Prime has a few links on their site.

Either the Cooler Master GX450 W OR the older Cooler Master Real Power Pro 460W -- 80+ Bronze certified, peak output 520W, stable upto 470w (not sure about availability) ~ 3700/- last year I bought in Hyderabad.

Crazy_Eddy said:
It maybe the case with the GX 550W ~ 750W SMPS, but the GX 450W is a whole different breed -- http://www.techenclave.com/pc-peripherals/cooler-master-gx-450w-187325.html -- DarkAngel put up this thread.

Back