Best andorid phone?

rishabh_s

Disciple
Hello there!

By the end of april all the exams would be over and it'll be time for me to get a new phone :D. I really like the android ui and have been thinking about getting one. But i also have htc hd2 in mind. I'd like advice from all of you on what phone should i buy. Will it be android or hd2? Also what is the best android phone in the market (with warranty- no grey market stuff :) ).

One more thing, i dont know anything about rooting or installing roms etc, just heard about them on all the forums. So a link to get me started would be very much appreciated.

thanks

Edit:

I think i should add this too, my requirements would be

1.watching avi on it

2.browsing internt

3.decent cam.

4.capacitive touchscreen

5.budget max 30k.

6.lots of apps :D

7. 3.5mm headphone jack

that's all :)

PS: sorry about wrong android spelling in title.

with a budget of 30k, HD2 would be the best phone to get. There is no denying the superiority of this phone over Android phones (except Nexus One). Other options are Motorola Milestone (Android) and Nokia N900 (Maemo/Meego).

Nokia N900 isnt officially available here so i wont go for it. BTW my first choice was N900. Really love that phone. As for hd2 the winmo 6.5 is what is deterring me from getting it.

What about legend and desire? when will we see them in India?

N900 is releasing on April 13th if I am right :)

HTC HD2: HTC Sense UI totally covers winmo 6.5. And trust me, it's an amazing phone and is best implementation of SenseUI and winmo

Legend and Desire: no idea when they are coming.

Wow- can somebody please confirm the release date of N900? And suggest me something in android? I might actually buy two phones as my dad also needs a new phone.

Bro,HD2 is the best option.I had some doubts before buying it,took the risk listened to desi and krates,bought it eventually.It is an excellent phone,no issues whatsoever with winmo(which imo is the most matured o.s at present).With a good hardware backup winmo 6.5 is not sluggish at all.Using the phone for about 3 weeks now,not a single crash or freeze so far,and believe me,I am a very heavy user,I am searching texts from Harrison`s Internal medicine pdf which has got more than 3000 pages, listening to music,checking mails over wifi at the same time and the cpu usage never shot up above 35%.

There has been a lot of talk about sound quality of hd2(specially in E forum,where a very senior member called hd2`s sound quality crap).But I can assure you they are absolutely wrong,with SRS plug in it is at par with 3gs(BTW as a phone it is waaay better than 3gs)

You simply cannot go wrong with HD2,even I am planning to gift one to my dad on poila baisakh(bengali new year)

Yeah i think watching videos on that huge screen will be a treat and a lot of apps and support are available too. But i'll have to try it first- many people complain that the ugly side of winmo shows up every now and then :(

But if N900 is being launched i'll go for it without a doubt.

Personally I would get the iPhone 3GS(or hold out for the iPhone HD/4G whatever) , best UI , browser and a gazillion apps can't go wrong with it .

Else probably the Nexus One , HD2 is good but I don't like WM6.5 at all .

rishabh_s said:
Yeah i think watching videos on that huge screen will be a treat and a lot of apps and support are available too. But i'll have to try it first- many people complain that the ugly side of winmo shows up every now and then :(
But if N900 is being launched i'll go for it without a doubt.

Rishabh, trust me, HD2 is better than N900 any given day. The things that I hated with N900 is lack of portrait mode and lack of apps. I did a full review of N900 and the initial wow factor fades away really fast and another big problem is uncertainity of linux based platform. Nokia is stopping Maemo development and now working on Meego with Intel. Tomorrow, it might be shelved. Unlike Android, winmo, iphone OS, this is a very volatile platform right now.

My suggestion for you is to first check HD2 and if you don't like it, try Motorola Milestone which is currently the best android handset (available through legal channels) in India market.

hmm.. i see your point and agree too- it is a volatile platform, lots of bugs being reported. :S
Well ,will i be able to play avi files on hd2/milestone and what about flash support in web browser? I've heard its possible but it's buggy :huh:

As for iPhone- its simply a no. I want a phone with decent cam (atleast 5mp) and dont want to be tied to a single no. I really like the ui but it has hardware limitations.

rishabh_s said:
hmm.. i see your point and agree too- it is a volatile platform, lots of bugs being reported. :S
Well ,will i be able to play avi files on hd2/milestone and what about flash support in web browser? I've heard its possible but it's buggy :huh:

As for iPhone- its simply a no. I want a phone with decent cam (atleast 5mp) and dont want to be tied to a single no. I really like the ui but it has hardware limitations.

HD2 flash support: YouTube - HTC HD2 : Flash testing on IE

Android and winmo doesn't have any problem with Flash content AFAIK. win phone 7 though is going to leave out flash.

And trust me, all the slowdowns and crashes of browser while playing flash content is actually a problem with Flash and not with browser. It's not just Apple and MS, Mozilla too hates flash content as it can eat up cpu cycles and hang the browser pretty fast.

rishabh_s said:

I like the way you say no to iphone,my wife has a 3gs and it is a stunner without brain,trust me it is a dumb phone with so many limitation even after jb and loosing your warranty in the process.
Yes, you can play avi with core player or TCMP.Core player is paid but available through ahem sources very easily,TCMP is free.
I could not find a bug free avi player in the android market.
HD2 has flash support in internet explorer,skyfire is another great browser with flash support.

red dragon said:
I like the way you say no to iphone,my wife has a 3gs and it is a stunner without brain,trust me it is a dumb phone with so many limitation even after jb and loosing your warranty in the process.
Yes, you can play avi with core player or TCMP.Core player is paid but available through ahem sources very easily,TCMP is free.
I could not find a bug free avi player in the android market.
HD2 has flash support in internet explorer,skyfire is another great browser with flash support.

Adding to this, if you don't like the Sense UI, load it up with windows 95 of windows xp :)

xda-developers is amazing place to get custom ROMs with custom UIs for winmo phones.

Oh i totally forgot it. Can anyone post some links to a beginners guide or something for hacking/modding winmo? I looked up xda dev but couldnt understand a bit. I found this link XDADeveloperWiki - XDA Q&A Wiki Page but i still dont get a lot of things :S
I dont even know what a rom is :ashamed:

PS:thanks a lot to desiibond and others for the help so far :)

desiibond said:
Adding to this, if you don't like the Sense UI, load it up with windows 95 of windows xp :)

xda-developers is amazing place to get custom ROMs with custom UIs for winmo phones.

Seriously mate being able to run Windows Xp / 95 via x86 emulator is one thing , using it on an smart-phone is not practical .

@ OP If you don't want the iPhone get Nexus One with 1Ghz chip rather than the Milestone unless you want a Physical QWERTY .

Go to xda developers site,go through their forums,they have huge threads on hd2 a.k.a leo,the stickies for the beginners are excellent.I did not know a thing about winmo even 1 month ago,now I am at ease with it.BTW do not flash your phone right away,the stock rom is pretty fast and bug free,get used to it first.

OP, not sure where in Jaipur you can lay your hands on demo units , but if you can, please play around with the Nexus one, X10 and Moto Milestone..
All of em are very capable devices, priced closely, and you'll find neither one of em at fault in terms of performance, usability, build quality or looks

I was in the same dilemma 2 weeks ago, and eventually ended up buying the Moto after fiddling around with all three of em for over an hour (the sheer quality of voice calls (phenomenally good )swung the deal in its favor)

Back