best android smartphone under 20000

guys,i am looking for a smartphone under 20000 with the following features

1. 1GHz processor or more (Dual core if possible)
2. 512 MB or more RAM
3. Atleast 3.5 inches screen
4. 5MP or more camera with atleast 720p video recording and 5x zoom atleast
5. Good audio and sharp video playback
6. Good battery life i.e. more than 1600mAh battery juice
7. Rugged and sturdy exteriors

For ease of options, i am confused with

motorola defy plus
samsung galaxy s
LG optimus 2x
sony ericsson xperia

please suggest as soon as possible. Ill buy it before Christmas.

I will be obliged to hear from my fellow tech freaks.

If warranty is not an issue, you can definitely look for something like the Motorola Photon 4G or Atrix. They will suit most of your needs. Typically an atrix should be gettable through forums or eBay within 15-16k (which is a steal, IMO), and you can get a Photon 4G within 18-19k.

If you want Indian Warranty, though, you should get the Optimus 2X. It has great community support, plenty of custom ROMs, good price/performance ratio and LG recently announced that it'll get ICS update too. The Sony Ericsson Xperia Neo V should come within 20k and it is also due for the ICS update. But the processor is only single core in Xperia, and RAM is also lesser than the 2X.

Your call.

Hey guys, even I want a phone withing 20k and I have been researching a lot for the past week. I am really tempted to go for the "Nexus S" even though its a single core phone.
The other contender is obviously the LG Optimus 2X.

I also checked out the Galaxy S2 and even thought about extending my budget. But then I realized no point in spending 28k on the phone when soon quad core phones are going to come out( also iphone5). So I decided to keep the budget under 20k for now :) Got to know about Galaxy R but found bad ratings at GSM Arena and dropped the idea. So there goes out all the Galaxy phones.

So in the battle between Optimus 2X and Nexus S, here are my reasons for preferring Nexus S

1. Its pure vanilla experience. As a developer, I have always wanted the pure one. I already own a HTC Wildfire so I have experience with the Android skins. Even though HTC sense is one of the best skins out there, I want to try out the nexus series.
  2. Nexus S will be the first to get ICS. I know we can get custom roms for Optimus 2X, but to be honest, I believe the kind of developer support Nexus S has or will have, won't be there for Optimus 2X.
  3. In my opinion, Nexus S looks better than the Optimus 2X. The Curved Glass surface really stands out and makes it unique. Even though I agree Samsung's build looks cheap and plasticiy, but I really like the Nexus S look.
  4. Most important one is that Nexus S has a better standby and talk time. Optimus 2X has a standby time 400h where as Nexus S has 714h. The talk time is 470 m vs 841 m respectively. I think this is a huge factor! I have been really unsatisfied by the Wildfire's battery. I need to charge it every day :-/ Source: Compare LG Optimus 2X P990 and Samsung Google Nexus S I9020 mobile phones

The biggest drawback of Nexus S is it has no FM radio!:S Was really shocked to know about this! Don't know what Google was thinking by not including this. Really stupid on their part.

But then again there are many points which make LG Optimus 2X a good choice like dual core, better camera, better front camera and a HDMI port and its cheaper! (Which really makes me very skeptical of LG. Why lower the price so much if its such a good dual core phone. All this => Sales went down very badly ).

Here is a comparison between the two phones. Nexus S gets 7.2 where as Optimus 2X gets 7.4. Not much of a difference given that one is a dual core :|

Is my affinity towards Nexus S justified ? Would love your valuable inputs on this and even suggestions for some other phone is most welcome :)

P.S.: I didn't create a new post as it would be pointless and also Rahul and I, both are looking for a phone under 20k :)

The ratings comparison (7.2/7.4) and advertised standby talk time are not the best way to compare phones.

The dual core will be better on raw performance, and Tegra 2 will support more games.

The reason LG Optimus 2X is cheaper than other dual core phones is because LG is trying to capture the market and their target sales might have not been achieved.. their strategy worked with Optimus One at 10K price point.

And also the LG 2X had loads of software glitches on 2.2, not sure about 2.3

But you are in love with Nexus S, so get it :)

Sanav3 said:
The ratings comparison (7.2/7.4) and advertised standby talk time are not the best way to compare phones.
The dual core will be better on raw performance, and Tegra 2 will support more games.

The reason LG Optimus 2X is cheaper than other dual core phones is because LG is trying to capture the market and their target sales might have not been achieved.. their strategy worked with Optimus One at 10K price point.
And also the LG 2X had loads of software glitches on 2.2, not sure about 2.3

But you are in love with Nexus S, so get it :)
Thanks for the quick reply buddy :)

Well, I know those aren't the proper facts to compare phones but in general, I have heard bad reviews about LG 2X that it lags a lot and as you pointed out it had software glitches etc.

I am actually inclined towards Nexus because I want to try out a Vanilla Android phone :p But then again, the hardware of 2X is pretty impressive Ah!! Am so confused! :S

Sumeet a.k.a NEO said:
Thanks for the quick reply buddy :)

Well, I know those aren't the proper facts to compare phones but in general, I have heard bad reviews about LG 2X that it lags a lot and as you pointed out it had software glitches etc.

I am actually inclined towards Nexus because I want to try out a Vanilla Android phone :p But then again, the hardware of 2X is pretty impressive Ah!! Am so confused! :S

I have the same budget and the same 2 choices as you buddy :) . I am getting a quote of 19k for the Nexus S locally and the O2x for the same price online. But i prefer the O2x because it is quite future proof, while the Nexus S is not as much.
If all is well, i can stick to the O2x for a good 2-3 years before switching it for a new one, but the Nexus S may last me only 2 years or less due to less capable hardware (procy, cam etc...).
As Sanav rightly pointed out, it is pointless to compare battery life based on advertised values since the real figure may not even be close to it. For the most accurate estimate, check out reviews from good sites like PhoneArena etc...
And about the Vanilla Android experience, the O2x will get CM9 maximum a month after the Nexus S gets the official ROM, and i am not in such a big hurry that i cannot even wait till that time.

Well if Nexus S is compared to O2X, I say O2X is better in every aspect. And every other Android owner is crazy about installing various ROMs and FWs, very few remain on stock. They want more eye candy. Nexus S is a great phone, but O2X at that price is way better. With GB 2.3, the lag problem is resolved on O2X.
Also, Dual Core will mostly ensure lag free UI for custom ROMs as compared to single core ones.

Hey guys,

I know OX2 is better spec wise but I don't think Lg has good support as such. Also I will be on move after a month and won't get proper computer access to mod OX2 and update it to ICS :(

Anyway, I went to shop keeping an open mind for both the phones.. But alas, couldn't find Optimus X2 in any shop in Kolkata as such. :| Mobile store ppl said its stopped coming. They said the same for the Nexus S too. I couldn't even find a proper LG store :| They all diverted me to Galaxy S+ (Which is a good phone!) Didn't go for the Galaxy S+ as it looks the same as the Galaxy S and is quite common.

But I ended up buying the Nexus S only :) The Vodafone store had one. The phone's built also feels pretty nice given that everyone is complaining that its all plasticky. The weight is not as light as the Galaxy S series though. (They are the lightest I think :p ) Pretty satisfied with it. I had a low budget because 1-1.5 years down the line I am going to upgrade to a new phone anyway. Had my Wildfire for 1 year 3 months :)

Thanks for taking time and giving us so many suggestions :) Am satisfied with it right now and pretty hyped to join the Nexus Club :)

hey,wait,came across MOTOROLA PHOTON,how is that?

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

OK,now i am confused with the following:

LG OPTIMUS 2X

SAMSUNG GALAXY R

MOTOROLA ATRIX 2

problems with O2X i have heard are--- lag, reboot and freeze problem

suggest!!!!

Have been using O2X for the last 4days, have updated to 2.3.4 and so far no reboots, lag or freeze problem and so far so good :)

only issue i have is that the speaker output is some kind of distorted or creepy when the phone rings and not with other functionalities like listening to music, video playback etc.. googled it and could see its a software bug rather than a hardware bug..

ghost_z said:
why not save some bucks by getting lg optimus black instead of 2x..has all the features u want and also costs less....awesome phone....

Optimus black is just 1k or even less compared to O2x and its not a good deal as you are having the monster O2x in that price range itself...

rahulhighlander said:
hey,wait,came across MOTOROLA PHOTON,how is that?

OK,now i am confused with the following:

LG OPTIMUS 2X

SAMSUNG GALAXY R

MOTOROLA ATRIX 2

problems with O2X i have heard are--- lag, reboot and freeze problem

suggest!!!!

Atrix2 looks impressive among the three and my order of preference would be 1) Atrix2 2) O2x and 3) Galaxy R ..

Motorola ATRIX 2 vs. LG Optimus 2X - GSMArena.com

for how much you are getting the Atrix2?? if its 20 or below 20k, its the best else i would go for O2x

Back