Best coffee roasters in India?

At home, I am currently drinking Sampangany Estate Naturals from Fraction9coffee. It is out of stock now (I think?) but it is easily the best coffee I have had in a while. Great taste. Very solid 9.5/10. Have this one with a little bit of foamed milk.

In the office I am drinking Blue Tokai's Attican estate (cause office coffee from the machine is absolutely terrible) and its pretty ok. Not awful but not wont blow your mind either. Drinking this one without milk either cold with ice or hot. 7/10.

Before these I was tried Pulney Hills and Doraikanal from KCRoasters. LOVED them both (especially Doraikanal) and I will probably get another bag from them when my current lot runs out. Both very solid 9/10.

I have also tried flyingsquirrel (forget the name, its been a while). It was fine. Again, like Blue Tokai, nothing exception but better than instant coffee.

devans.in is pretty good.
One of the things about buying coffee in India though, is that there is no standardization of description of roast levels, and a lot of companies are just making it up. For example, I don't like light roasts, I go for dark or at the most on the dark side of medium. I bought Blue Tokai dark roast, and it's a completely light roast. I spoke to one of the main guys from there, forgot his name, and he said that they deliberately put it like that on the site because their audience prefers light roasts and it helps them identify how light it is. A "dark roast" BlueTokai coffee is just a marginally more roasted light roast.

devans.in is pretty good.
One of the things about buying coffee in India though, is that there is no standardization of description of roast levels, and a lot of companies are just making it up. For example, I don't like light roasts, I go for dark or at the most on the dark side of medium. I bought Blue Tokai dark roast, and it's a completely light roast. I spoke to one of the main guys from there, forgot his name, and he said that they deliberately put it like that on the site because their audience prefers light roasts and it helps them identify how light it is. A "dark roast" BlueTokai coffee is just a marginally more roasted light roast.

Then you should check out FiveFarms. They mention the dark roast is very dark and I've found their medium-dark to be a good roast which isn't burnt.

Last edited:
Blue tokai has also started using instant coffee in there cold coffee now but one has to ask for it.....it was a sample at first and as per them it got good reviews...haven't tried it yet but they are not selling it raw.....and blue tokai got me hooked to coffee a lot

Last edited:
Blue tokai & David Off is my goto, David Off Instant coffee is my regular poison and when I really want that extra punch I have the blue tokai.

And oh btw, do make sure you do detox atleast once in a year or two. I do this by slowly reducing the caffeine quantity in my Moka pot and then no coffee for one full month at least.

Tried Veronica’s from Bombay 3 months ago, now I get it shipped to Delhi every two weeks. https://veronicasbombay.com/

Was having blue tokai for the past 2 years before that, medium dark to dark roasts, but off late haven’t been enjoying their coffee. Tastes burst and over-processed somehow.

Any guide or starting place for trying out these coffee stuff? I have never bought beans etc. Love the south indian filter coffee.
1. Get an Espresso Machine
(If just getting started, a percolator/moka pot is a good way to start in this rabbit hole, or, you can get an Aeropress or a French Press)
2. Get a Grinder
If you're getting started, a dry grinder will be OK, but you'll need a burr grinder down the line for good grinds, alternatively you can purchase pre-ground coffee, but those will lose their fragrance once exposed to air, coffee beans give the best flavor when freshly ground.
3. Get good beans (Leo Coffee is good for filter coffee, french press and even Moka pots), If you go the espresso route, then you'll need darker roasts depending on your preferences.

Milk/Sugar to taste, only water if it's a black coffee you want.
You can buy a Moka pot/French Press and beans from www.leocoffee.in or www.fivefarms.in or Amazon.

Dont buy an espesso machine if you are just starting lol.

French press is better in every single way. Waaaaaaaaaay cheaper. Less maintenance (just rinse it after use). Wont break (unless it literally breaks lol). Hygienic (can be cleaned very thoroughly). And you can even foam milk with it.

Pretty much all you need is a French press (~1500rs on Amazon) and ground coffee (pick anything from KCRoasters or Fraction9, ~500 Rs). Depending on how much you drink, you are set for a couple of months or so.

Back