Best coffee roasters in India?

Again, its just a glass jar with a filter and a plunger. I have bought 4 of them over the last 8 years-ish. They have all been fine. I wouldnt sweat too much about fake reviews.

Any guide or starting place for trying out these coffee stuff? I have never bought beans etc. Love the south indian filter coffee.
only buy espresso machine if you are willing to put in some work, the honeymoon period fades away pretty quickly, and you are left with 20 minutes of work every time you extract a shot. Don't fall for social media's hype for espresso machines and artisan coffee.
if you want to start with a French press as mentioned by gentlemen above me, and work your way up, many high-profile baristas don't own any machine at home and there's a reason for that, you don't want to wrestle with it every morning you wake up, you need a quick shot to start your day.
I own one and last time I made a latte etc was 2 years ago :D, i extract my shot and pour in some milk and I'm good to go.

Now Answering OP
There are many roasters in India with good reputation, KCroasters Marvahulla Estate coffee is great, I drink Dark Roasts only so I can comment on that, Blue Tokai's Vienna roast is good, and then there's Fraction9, probably the best of all and the personal touch they add on the bag with your name and date makes it even better, i have tried various coffee brands, most comes from same source with different branding. You'll be hard pressed to find a better deal and quality than fraction9 in India, the body and aroma is unmatched, it competes with Ethiopian Coffee which cost 10 times the price, it fills up my room with aroma.

Last edited:
only buy espresso machine if you are willing to put in some work, the honeymoon period fades away pretty quickly, and you are left with 20 minutes of work every time you extract a shot. Don't fall for social media's hype for espresso machines and artisan coffee.
if you want to start buy a French press as mentioned by gentlemen above me, and work your way up, many high-profile baristas don't own machine at home and there's a reason for that, you don't want to wrestle with it every morning when you wake up, you need a quick shot to start your day.
I own one and last time I made a latte etc was 2 years ago :D, i extract my shot and pour in some milk and I'm good to go.
Disagree with the Espresso machine 20 mins part.
It takes about 3 mins for my machine to get to temp, and during that time, I have my water boiling and ready to go (if black coffee), and some milk if it's a latte/cappucino.
The grinding takes 10 seconds (and it's faster if you've got pre-ground coffee).
Once the machine is ready, it takes less than 30 seconds to extract the espresso. Dumping the coffee waste in a bin and washing the filter/basket doesn't take long either.

Overall, I don't think it takes more than 6 minutes, which is the time a french press or a percolator takes for doing the same things.

For dark roast coffee, I'm now sticking to Fivefarms, which gives me good roasts in their premium AAA beans and it isn't expensive compared to the other niche roasters.

For dark roast coffee, I'm now sticking to Fivefarms, which gives me good roasts in their premium AAA beans and it isn't expensive compared to the other niche roasters.

Recommend some Dark Roast (Beans) from them, always open to try something new.

Thanks

Recommend some Dark Roast (Beans) from them, always open to try something new.

Thanks
https://www.fivefarms.in/products/malakodu-graded-plantation-aaa-arabica-custom-roasted-beans
These are premium large beans and you can select a dark roast (it'll be very dark, but not burnt).

This is an Arabica/Robusta 80:20 mix, but the bean size varies. It's OK if you want to consume coffee in bulk, and it's a medium-dark roast.

I typically ordered this one as it's 100% arabica, but given the price parity between premium beans, I've found the larger beans better.

This is my latest order, but I'll wait to try it out and give feedback. Slightly more expensive, but again, miles cheaper than Starbucks.

If you're doing French Press, the single estate or AAA will be a good idea.

Then you should check out FiveFarms. They mention the dark roast is very dark and I've found their medium-dark to be a good roast which isn't burnt.
Their website is making very little sense to me... for practically all of their coffees they don't mention the roast level at all.

I was craving some filter coffee, so have ordered this -

Order was shipped the very next day via India Post. Will report back with my feedback once it is delivered.

Disagree with the Espresso machine 20 mins part.
It takes about 3 mins for my machine to get to temp, and during that time, I have my water boiling and ready to go (if black coffee), and some milk if it's a latte/cappucino.
The grinding takes 10 seconds (and it's faster if you've got pre-ground coffee).
Once the machine is ready, it takes less than 30 seconds to extract the espresso. Dumping the coffee waste in a bin and washing the filter/basket doesn't take long either.

Overall, I don't think it takes more than 6 minutes, which is the time a french press or a percolator takes for doing the same things.

From my personal experience, I feel that Moka Pot is still one of the best ways to make an espresso. But if you crave for cappuccino, it is a never ending spiral (just like an assembled PC). The better components you put into the maker, the better your coffee gets (not talking about Bajaj and Prestige shit that they sell as coffee makers).

I rely entirely on Moka Pot as I do not like my coffee with milk:
1. 30 seconds max to grind using burr grinder.
2. In parallel, heat water to warm temperature (2 minutes).
3. Pour into pot, set coffee power and make espresso shot (3-4 minutes).
4. Filter it out using filter paper (5 minutes). I am doing this as I am very particular about coffee mud.

Take max 10 minutes. With espresso maker, it is much much faster. The saved time is lost in maintenance.

Their website is making very little sense to me... for practically all of their coffees they don't mention the roast level at all.
1687514961593.png

Some coffees have the option removed and it's usually a medium dark roast.
I would suggest reaching out to their whatsapp number. I agree about the site, but given it's a small enterprise, the site is forgivable :) .

From my personal experience, I feel that Moka Pot is still one of the best ways to make an espresso. But if you crave for cappuccino, it is a never ending spiral (just like an assembled PC). The better components you put into the maker, the better your coffee gets (not talking about Bajaj and Prestige shit that they sell as coffee makers).

I rely entirely on Moka Pot as I do not like my coffee with milk:
1. 30 seconds max to grind using burr grinder.
2. In parallel, heat water to warm temperature (2 minutes).
3. Pour into pot, set coffee power and make espresso shot (3-4 minutes).
4. Filter it out using filter paper (5 minutes). I am doing this as I am very particular about coffee mud.

Take max 10 minutes. With espresso maker, it is much much faster. The saved time is lost in maintenance.
The Moka pot does not make a good espresso, but does a good strong 'roasted coffee' brew. The pressure isn't as high as a pump machine1.5 to 2 bars vs 9-10 bars from a machine. There is no group head > shower screen filtration system to get that rich crema for an espresso.
I've gone from a Moka Pot, to French Press and other devices before finally getting a machine a few years ago and I never looked back.

The cheap Chinese machines at around 10K pull a good espresso, but to get a really brilliant espresso, you look into getting a Delonghi / Gaggia classic pro which has a larger portafilter 58mm vs 51 for the cheap ones.

yes, had me scratching my head on what to order, WhatsApp them for more info regarding roast on different blends & single origin, they could do with much simpler interface and more info, they seem to have lot of variety bought the AAA as i will be using the machine with this, as recommended by @AK3D

I was craving some filter coffee, so have ordered this -

Order was shipped the very next day via India Post. Will report back with my feedback once it is delivered.

Feedback time : I am not a coffee connoisseur like some fellow members here, but this one turned out to be really good. A bit stronger for my taste but that just means I need to add a little more milk to make the perfect cup of Filter Coffee. Will certainly order more and recommend to my friends.

Fiverfarms Espresso Blend is great, one of the better ones I have tried, makes for great coffee with robusta's kick and flavor of Arabica, will try the AAA later.

My five farms delivery is extremely delayed :/ ordered on the 2nd and will reach on the 10th they say.

I just got Devans French roast though, it's pretty great.

Fiverfarms Espresso Blend is great, one of the better ones I have tried, makes for great coffee with robusta's kick and flavor of Arabica, will try the AAA later.
Yeah, I've been using it extensively. The AAA as medium dark is great for machines too.
Feedback time : I am not a coffee connoisseur like some fellow members here, but this one turned out to be really good. A bit stronger for my taste but that just means I need to add a little more milk to make the perfect cup of Filter Coffee. Will certainly order more and recommend to my friends.
Glad you liked it!
My five farms delivery is extremely delayed :/ ordered on the 2nd and will reach on the 10th they say.

I just got Devans French roast though, it's pretty great.
India post is pretty slow for me as well. I've tried most of Devans, Leo and other brands. Some are good at some things. Ultimately, it depends on how the coffee is both stored and processed.

As a note, the India coffee subreddit has a ton of information, but a lot of the recommendations are generic. Not everyone needs to get a 55K Lelit Anna machine (and yes, it's a great machine), or a Gaggia Classic Pro for around 40K. How you prefer your coffee (Filter, French Press, Moka Pot or Espresso) should be the guiding factor behind how you purchase your coffee equipment.

Back