Storage Solutions Best DVD for Storage Movies

clown_abhi said:
HDDs are not good for backup.
@Those who feel HDD is a better option, wait till ur 1TB hdd goes conk...:bleh:

U can use Verbatim (MCC004) for any backup. But its not just the DVD that should be good but also how u store it. Buy good DVD packs and keep the DVD as free of dust as possible.
U keep ur DVDs properly and they wn't give up any time in 5-10 yrs...
I still remember writing some movies on Sony DVDs some 7 yrs back and they still are just good. :D

really 7 Year back...:S

Verbatim dvd+r matt silver is what one gets nowdays.

Burning DvD's is better as if it gets scratched not everything is lost but if a 500gb HDD crashes you would be all in tears. If you don't connect the HDD pwr/SATA connector properly even a minor shock would crash ur HDD.
Burn DvD's for a year or so till BlueRay becomes easily available then back up 6 DvD's on a single BD this cycle can continue forever(higher density storage media keeps on updating).

After that you can recycle ur old stuff like Cassets, CD's and DvD's.

lucky_chouhan said:
How's this DVD Taiyo Yuden

Its the Baap of every DVD+R out there... :eek:hyeah:

Its the only recordable DVD which consistently gave me quality score of 99 with C2 errors less than 100 on many occasions...

Pearl Whites are discontinued right now & only Matt Silver is available.... All the Pearl Whites that you can find is usually old stock.... Get it if you can & are convinced that they are really superior... Otherwise stick to Matt Silver...

I stocked 100 Pearl Whites for this very reason for much Important Data... Otherwise Matt Silver is always there for me... :D

Sony for all the crucial stuff !

Samsung, Imation & TDK for the rest...

clown_abhi said:
But its not just the DVD that should be good but also how u store it. Buy good DVD packs and keep the DVD as free of dust as possible.

U keep ur DVDs properly and they wn't give up any time in 5-10 yrs...

I still remember writing some movies on Sony DVDs some 7 yrs back and they still are just good. :D

Very True !

lucky_chouhan said:
but sony give me a problem.

lower writing speed has any effect on data:huh:

It's advisable to WRITE AT SLOW SPEEDS, to enhance the life of your DVD Writer & ensure good quality burns.

It has no effect on data whatsoever !

i have over 600dvd collection and here is why i have not switched to hdd... one hdd goes boom, you are lost.... one dvd goes bad you can redownload again in say one night...

however the situation changes when you have HD or HDrips... that case HDD are better with two copies...

regards
neo

Back