Best ebook reader

Hi guys, I read a lot and I need an ebook reader. I am going to *borrow* books. Mostly wouldnt buy it unless the books are really good.

Amazon Kindle wifi edition is the best as far as I have found. It costs arnd 10k in india. Ebay GB with 500 off coupon. ANy cheaper way??

Also any other alternatives???

hey try Nook wi-fi,if you are interested in reading only.For comics you can opt for nook color.I bought nook wi-fi a week ago and I'm very happy with it.:eek:hyeah:

Wats the difference b/w them. And why is kindle bad??? I am looking to read ONLY ebooks, not much of a commic guy and I have a samsung galaxy s too which means, I can read commics on it.

What I need is, easy on the eyes when reading, fast(I need ebooks to open real fast) and ability to import my own books.

I bought it for 11.5k..including customs/tax from shopyourworld ,got a discount on using hdfc card,shipped within 8 working days.Not sayin kindle is bad,I prefered nook because of external memory slot and replaceable battery which kindle does not offer , also it supports epub format which kindle doesnt. I just reviewed nook on my blog yesterday ,you can have a look here Rachan ....For the record

I have used a TabletPC (colour LCD screen), Nook Wi-Fi and Kindle 3 Wi-Fi.

Of the three, I would pick the Kindle 3 for reading ebooks. It has a really good battery life, good contrast for the eink display and page turning is very quick. The Nook was nice, (and the touch screen is useful for the included Sudoku and Chess games), but the battery life was lower than what I see for the Kindle 3. The page refresh time was also higher, though the new firmware might have changed that (I haven't used it after the firmware update).

One reason you might want to go with the Nook is if you have a lot of books in epub format. But if you use the Calibre software suite, converting books to the Kindle format is very simple. (Can convert from pdf, txt, html, lit, epub, mobe, etc) Drag a book into the software, right click on it and send to device in desired format. (Think of it like using iTunes with an iPod/iPhone)

The only thing I read on my TabletPC is comics. I cannot see my self going back to an LCD screen for reading a lot.

Then Kindle 3 it is :D.

Where best to get it??? Any advice?

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

I like the fact that Kindle is lighter, otherwise I would have gone for the nook. The black matte finish is just the kind of looker that I want.

Also Nook seems to be slower than Kindle with page turns... CANT TAKE THATTTT ...lol

Mate, PDF support if absolutely rubbish on every Ebook Reader. AZW is the propriety format of the Kindle which is nothing but Mobi. If you're not going to buy the books from the Amazon online store, it is worth looking at some other Readers as well, perhaps the Nook and PRS-350. I have the Nook and believe me when I say it, ePub is absolutely amazing. As for the page turning being slower, never felt it to be that way. To each his own I guess.

amazon will ship it directly to you with warranty etc. this guy has posted info in his blog -

http://www.gauravgupta.in/blog/2010/10/ordering-the-latest-6-inch-kindle-3-from-amazon-to-india/

he mentions that it was shipped by DHL, but I read in few places that they were shipping it through USPS, which is my concern :) ( me too looking to buy an e-reader)..

EDIT: Also the wink e-reader XTS model is now available for 9k, but can't find any detailed review on it.

https://www.thewinkstore.com/ereader/index/shopping/do/view_all_ereaders

hahahari said:
Due to different factors, I have decidded on the kindle. I need to know which place is the cheapest to get it. Can anyone recommend??
shopyourworld should be the cheapest. I have been using kindle and as long as you are reading novels, it cant get better :)

hahahari said:
Kindle from amazon shipped to india at 92xx which is the cheapest opetion.
mind you, if you buy from amazon, you will end up paying another 3k or so as customs deposit intially. They will be refunded eventually as long as you get the item marked as gift.

Back