best free antivirus?

AVG is the best ! Avast is crap !!! :eek:hyeah:

Installed it on my friends computer (who had no less than some 15 different types of viruses coz he never used an antivirus in his life and did not get bothered by the viruses till it blocked orkut !).

Tried Avast first. Removed some viruses but many were left and even after multiple system scans it could not remove any more viruses.

Then uninstalled *$%@#$ Avast and installed AVG. And Bingo ! In just 2 system scans ALL viruses were gone ! This was a couple of years ago and till today no more viruses. AVG gets any new ones immediately.

Unfortunately AVG file size has grown quite large and another friend of mine has a slow connection and couldn't download it so I chose Avira Antivir PE. (Another good free AV IMHO)

I tried Avira after a couple of people raved about it. Found it to be very tacky (throwing pop-ups!) and annoying (wouldn't connect to the update server half the time), and not really that low on system resources.

I have been using Avast for a long time now without any issues.
Advantages of avast
1) Boot time scan
2) Very small updates (good even on dialups)
3) Very low resource consumption

have used avg before..doesn detect most of the viruses...right now workin on my frens laptop...he has been usin avg fer quite a while now..but all of a sudden his system starts to slow down.. assumed it to be a virus prob.. n installed Avast..quick scan in progress..and avast has already detected 5 diffren virues which avg wasn able to detect..imagine how many more it might find on a reboot scan..avg sucks.. Avast n AvirA r better. though Avira's a bit annoyin with it's pop up adds..

scorpionsting said:
have used avg before..doesn detect most of the viruses

was avg updated? maybe because avg was installed a long time ago it was not updated and unable to detect new viruses, but when you downloaded the latest version of the other programs, they were able to detect?

yep AVG was updated.. not tht i hve anything against AVG...but frm personal expy..i feel that Avira & Avast are better free products..they give a better security when compared to AVG.. thats what i feel..give them a try..

if u can able to get kaspersky, thats the best one... im using this software for more than three years and my comp is working perfectly. Now kapsersky internet security suite 7 is available for 700 Rs and its 3 users license and one year validation.

Avast...but do you actually need a free anti virus when you are already using an *ahem* copy of windows ?

H2O said:
Avast...but do you actually need a free anti virus when you are already using an *ahem* copy of windows ?

well yes u do need one..doesn matter what kind of windows copy u r using..well comin back to free anti malware softwares.. u can also try
a-squared.. avast and avira are better.. has all features of anti malware.. but the cons are.. no auto updates,no autoscans and no realtime protection.. detection rates are quite good..whereas avira free has only the antivirus feature..

try a combination eset nod32 v2.7 or something (not v3.0 i feel it still requires some fine tuning) and webroot spysweeper....trust me not i single virus or trojan breech for the last 6 months or so...its a acheivement as at one point my still was like a breeding ground for virus....cheers

Back