Best HSPA datacard?

Hello everyone,
I am in search of the best datacard (21Mbps or above) with decent signal reception (better than my phone-Nokia 5800XM) . I came across these 3 cards:

1.Huawei UMG 1831 (Trusted performance among most users)
2.Huawei E353 (As a replacement of he older UMG1831. Does not support 2G bands )
3.Huawei K4505 (Can be upgraded to 28Mbps by flashing with latest firmware. Dunno anything more than that about this)

Please everyone help me out. I am in a dilemma which one to buy.

PS- Any other suggestions will be highly appreciable. Also, i need he best signal reception (Most important thing).

UMG 1831.

Using it from jan 2011 on Windows 7 PC with no issues.

All those disconnection issue are network related.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

E353 is not advisable as it supports only 3G.

ramanujpatro said:
UMG 1831.

Using it from jan 2011 on Windows 7 PC with no issues.

+1. Me and Supra did some testing the other day, with the same SIM the cheaper models used to give 1.2Mbps speed whereas the UMG1831 was giving full 2Mbps speeds. Even if you dont need 21Mbps, invest in the UMG1831.

UMG 1831 supports 28MBps with latest firmware.. it is the VFM available in market. It wont support voice calls

Huawei K4505 - costly. check if it supports voice call, if yes then you can go for it

sbhas2k said:
UMG 1831 supports 28MBps with latest firmware.. it is the VFM available in market. It wont support voice calls

Huawei K4505 - costly. check if it supports voice call, if yes then you can go for it

Can you please mention link for the firmware?

+:T

@OP, get UMG-1831, its very good. I too bought one from ebay, initially i gave me problem, but i got it replaced as it was under warranty. The new one is awesome and a VFM product.

avi said:
Can this UMG 1831 can be used in Mac & Linux ?
Tried it in ubuntu,open-suse and linux-mint, haven't tried it in mac yet.
RS4 said:
UMG1831 is very sensitive with different firmwares, so dont experiment if your device is working fine.
Yes mate, you are right, experimenting with firmware updates must be for experts, as this particular model gives numerous issues after flashing, so be very careful.
Also note that flashing firmware might void warranty with some dealers

I am looking to buy a data card for ALL India use.
Planning to go with a BSNL data connection (from Pune/Maharashtra Circle)
Does either the Huawei K4505 or UMG 1831 have problems in any of the circles in In(last year, some data cards had problems with BSNL West region)
Is there any other things I need to consider, I am looking for a top spec data card for long term use.
Thanks

sbhas2k said:

what do you mean by doesn't support voice calls? are you talking about VOIP calls over yahoo or skype...pc to pc ones?

just let me know as i am looking to buy one too....!!

swapyworld said:
what do you mean by doesn't support voice calls? are you talking about VOIP calls over yahoo or skype...pc to pc ones?

just let me know as i am looking to buy one too....!!

Voice call from your SIM.

I am looking to buy a data card for ALL India use.

Planning to go with a BSNL data connection (from Pune/Maharashtra Circle)

Does either the Huawei K4505 or UMG 1831 have problems in any of the circles in In(last year, some data cards had problems with BSNL West region)

Is there any other things I need to consider, I am looking for a top spec data card for long term use.

Thanks
Talking about All India use- you need to check whether your 3G provider is roaming free or not.

most are data roaming free but not all.

I have used tata photon all over india but not any more .

Currently Huawei E1750 .vodafone,airtel.aircel good signal 5 mbps ,rarely 7 mbps, average 3 mbps.( you can get around rs 1250 in ebay unlocked) http://goo.gl/OE2yb

avoid k4505-over heats. UMG 1831 is very good and stable.( around rs 2300) New models drop signal below 2100 mhz.

Talking about All India use- you need to check whether your 3G provider is roaming free or not.

most are data roaming free but not all.

I have used tata photon all over india but not any more .

I checked with the networks (Not - BSNL) and most say that roaming is not part of the inclusive package (unlike BSNL where it is part of the package).

I am now looking at CDMA options, once again, BSNL is offering the best price plan; Rs.750/- for true unlimited data, no data cap. Only problem is that no roaming in Mumbai or Delhi (MTNL circles).

It's looking more like going with BSNL only, question is whether 3G or CDMA?

Back