Best low-medium cost Point & Shoot digicam

superczar

Skilled
I was thinking of picking up a low-medium cost Digicam for my Dad & Mom.
The choice set so far has narrowed down to the following:

-Canon A520
- Sony DSC-w5
- Nikon 4600

Low light performance is an important criteria for me.

Any suggestions as to which of the above is the best bet.
Also, if there are any other digicams in the smae price range that you think are good, please do let me know. :)

I have the Canon A75 which is the precursor, forerunner, whatever of the A520. One of the major advantages of this one over its peers at the time was that it had a pretty good low-light focus by virtue of its auto-focus lamp. I should recommend the A520 without reservation except that I vaguely remember reading a review that mentioned that the A520 was inferior to the A510 (the 3MP version) in some parameter that I can't remember.

Suggest you check out the reviews of the A520 and the competition here:

www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/powershot_a510_a520-review/

www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/A520/A52A.HTM

My dad has the Nikon 4600. its pretty good..
when i inquired about it at Camera Citi here in Chennai, they said it was Rs.12-13000... i bought a Nikon S1 for my sis for little more than Rs.16000

Out of those 3, Nikon 4600 would be my choice. I personally feel it's Perfect for novice users or anyone looking for a point-and-shoot camera.

Think i'll pick up the a520....Will post a revu' asap :p
As for the niko 4600, i have an old 2200 and though it has great picture quality under good lighting, i hate its lo-light photo abilities...

out of the choices here i would hands down vote for canon A520.

one of my friend uses it.

i have personally used powershot series a75, a80, a85 and i am using a95 for one and a half years.

canons have a good low light capabilities.

sony are good ones but their autofocus lens some times does not focus much sharpely. and small farm factor is a hinderance in usage.

nikon i havenot had first hand usage but they are also too tiny.
i do not know why but i have belief that camera should be moderately sized so that they shake less while shooting.

I own a 4600 and its very good . Great for quick point and shoot . the pics have not dissapointed me :)

Picked the Canon A520 as the pic quality seemed to be better than any of the other competing models + it has a slew of manual control features

superczar said:
Picked the Canon A520 as the pic quality seemed to be better than any of the other competing models + it has a slew of manual control features
Congrats! You wont be disappointed.

Back