PC Peripherals best media for 4167b

vicente

Disciple
I hav'nt used the burner much but it seems to have problems reading/writing CDs.

CD: 52x Moser Baer, burnt at 48x around 500 mb worth photos. This thing was very slow ...took around 5 minutes(never sounded spinning ok) and then gave CRC errors while reading from the same disc. Funnily I managed to read this data on another drive. I never had Cd read write problems with my Liteon 52x burner.
The thing acts wierd while reading CDs, for instance I had prbs reading the PCQLinux CD, I ejected and reloaded the disc and it worked fine.

DVD: 16x Moser Baer. Burnt at 8x(guess 16x MB not supported) 1.5 GB worth mp3s in 4 minutes. No problems reading the data again. Something to cheer abt.

Anyone suggest what CD and DVD media I should use with this drive for error free burning. I'm from Pune btw.

Well u should never compromise on the media. Always buy good quality media. Moserbear is a very good media, never got problems with it ! Anyways also consider sony , samsung, lg media's. Maybe its the fault of ur writer but i am not sure ! This even happens to me sometimes !

Thanks for the reply. I was looking for something more specific though.
I know for instance that Liteon writers love ritek and MB but had (in my time) problems with proDisc.
Anyone know what CD media is best compatible with LG DVD writers like 4163b, 4167b?

thanks TechHead , Amol. I'd be really thankful if you can recommend me some 'CD' media coz thats whts been problemetic for me.

TechHead, MB DVD-R16X is what i've tried so far and it writes well albeit at 8x. Guess I'll stick to MB.

I'll be on the lookout for Writex 8x ...do I find it as 'Writex' itself or with a rebadged name?

Renegade - one of the most reliable pieces of hardware i have ever had like other LG optical drives and m audio sound cards. Never failed me on a single cd/dvd and even badly scratched written dvds by the same drive read perfectly without a single error.

Apparently the writex media here seems to be manufactured using some CMC magnetic company, i looked up on the net and seems like it is a pretty good media.Here's the complete code.

Media Information

Region information N/A not a DVD-VIDEO

Media code/Manufacturer ID CMC MAG. AE1

Format Capacity 3.53GB(3.79GB)

Book Type DVD-R

Media Type DVD-R

Manufacturer Rated Speed 8.0x 11080KBps

Available Write Descriptor CLV 8.0x 11080KBps

Available Write Descriptor CLV 4.0x 5540KBps

Write Strategy Speed 4.0x 5540KBps

2x Speed OPC beta 09

2x Speed OPC power 0D

2x Write Strategy field 1 11 87 78 90

2x Write Strategy field 2 88 80 00 00 00 00

4x Speed OPC beta 05

4x Speed OPC power 15

4x Write Strategy field 1 0D 0F 0A 09

4x Write Strategy field 2 97 07 0F 0B

4x Write Strategy field 3 80 00 00 00

4x Speed OPC beta multi-pulse 05

4x Speed OPC power multi-pulse 1B

4x Write Strategy field 4 13 A8 89 65

4x Write Strategy field 5 B6 89 88 80 00 00

4x Write Strategy field 6 00 00 D0 00 00

Data area starting sector 30000h

Data area end sector 1C446Fh

Linear Density 0.267um/bit

Track Density 0.74um/track

Number of Layers 1

Complete Media Code

00000000 00 6A 00 00 01 40 C1 FD 9E D8 52 00 02 55 0D 0E .j...@....R..U..

00000010 88 9A 80 00 03 43 4D 43 20 4D 41 00 04 47 2E 20 .....CMC MA..G.

00000020 41 45 31 00 05 88 80 00 00 00 02 00 06 09 0D 11 AE1.............

Hey Renegade, the prices for the drive have crashed. you should get it for Rs 2600 from retailers and for lesser from distributors. I bought this for 2750 a month back in Pune.
Cant say much abt performance since I've barely used it, but seems fast with DVDs and choosy with CDs.

vicente said:
thanks TechHead , Amol. I'd be really thankful if you can recommend me some 'CD' media coz thats whts been problemetic for me.
TechHead, MB DVD-R16X is what i've tried so far and it writes well albeit at 8x. Guess I'll stick to MB.
I'll be on the lookout for Writex 8x ...do I find it as 'Writex' itself or with a rebadged name?

DL13 adds 16X support for MBI 16X discs...
;)

woah cool . how do I upgrade the rom. With the liteon it was as simple as running an executable, didnt have to bother abt any instructions. step#1 of the install instructions for the LG ...

1. Connect the drive as 'master' by it self, on the secondary IDE controller with
no other device on the same IDE cable, making note to set the jumper on
the back of the drive to the "master" position

Is this really required?

vicente said:
I hav'nt used the burner much but it seems to have problems reading/writing CDs.

CD: 52x Moser Baer, burnt at 48x around 500 mb worth photos. This thing was very slow ...took around 5 minutes(never sounded spinning ok) and then gave CRC errors while reading from the same disc. Funnily I managed to read this data on another drive. I never had Cd read write problems with my Liteon 52x burner.
The thing acts wierd while reading CDs, for instance I had prbs reading the PCQLinux CD, I ejected and reloaded the disc and it worked fine.

DVD: 16x Moser Baer. Burnt at 8x(guess 16x MB not supported) 1.5 GB worth mp3s in 4 minutes. No problems reading the data again. Something to cheer abt.

Anyone suggest what CD and DVD media I should use with this drive for error free burning. I'm from Pune btw.

Hey, even after exausting all options (like trying different media, etc) if the problem remains unresolved and if the recordED media that you burnt work fine on other drives, then it could also be a problem with RAM memory. i had an issue with RAM (which caused other problems also), and when i changed it, everything started working fine...

To test your RAM
Memtest86 - Memory Diagnostic Page

Is the Writex DVD-R 16x any good?

What dye do they use??

writexdvdrsk6.jpg

& R they actually manufactured by MBI(Moser Baer India) ?

Got it@15 p.p!

BTW,do any1 know the prices for Writex DVD-RW?

Back