Best method/device for recording lectures

Ssreek

Adept
My senior professor wants to record his lectures. Need to record both in-class videos and also record some videos at home.
These classes will be anywhere from 1 to 3 hours. He should be able to use the device both for offline recording and sometimes live classes on zoom.

So there are a few methods suggested for this:
  • One way is to use a DSLR with a 50mm lens. The only issue is battery won't last more than 40 mins, so either we need to take more breaks and keep replacing the battery or get a dummy battery pack with ac connection (but these are unreliable and sometimes may ruin the camera).
  • Another is to get a decent to best webcam. This way, no need for battery worries, and it can be connected to a laptop and used for hours. Only issue is such webcams cost a minimum of 10K and we are not sure if it is worth it considering the video quality we get for that price.
  • Tried using phone to record, but phone gets heated after a while due to continuous use of video recording, and also getting it connected to a laptop with stable connection is a software mess.

Looking for suggestions if there is a better way.

My senior professor wants to record his lectures. Need to record both in-class videos and also record some videos at home.
These classes will be anywhere from 1 to 3 hours. He should be able to use the device both for offline recording and sometimes live classes on zoom.

So there are a few methods suggested for this:
  • One way is to use a DSLR with a 50mm lens. The only issue is battery won't last more than 40 mins, so either we need to take more breaks and keep replacing the battery or get a dummy battery pack with ac connection (but these are unreliable and sometimes may ruin the camera).
  • Another is to get a decent to best webcam. This way, no need for battery worries, and it can be connected to a laptop and used for hours. Only issue is such webcams cost a minimum of 10K and we are not sure if it is worth it considering the video quality we get for that price.
  • Tried using phone to record, but phone gets heated after a while due to continuous use of video recording, and also getting it connected to a laptop with stable connection is a software mess.

Looking for suggestions if there is a better way.
Elgato 4k60 S+ or your mobile itself. for camera. I recommend connecting to chargning or dummy battery and then recording it for the time you want.

Elgato 4k60 S+ or your mobile itself. for camera. I recommend connecting to chargning or dummy battery and then recording it for the time you want.

Are dummy batteries reliable? Canon or Sony doesn’t make it. Only some generic chinese ones are available and that too no reviews.

Are dummy batteries reliable? Canon or Sony doesn’t make it. Only some generic chinese ones are available and that too no reviews.
duniyame kuch reliable nahi he bro. but it works and many people use it. if your camera have usb c then just use that with fast charger. I do the same on my sony A7IV.

I don’t want to use anything that wrecks the camera or any high cost equipment. If you know good reliable ones, let me know the link or brand name.
availability is the issue. you need to checkout with offline shops. there is also extra battery option and its external and bigger. I think it was from small cage. rest thing else can be done if you cannot charge from direct input which usb c only can provide.

availability is the issue. you need to checkout with offline shops. there is also extra battery option and its external and bigger. I think it was from small cage. rest thing else can be done if you cannot charge from direct input which usb c only can provide.

You meant type c port on the camera right?
Fitted forever.

Sadly that’s not the use case here. Little portability is another must have.

Last edited:
Video shooting through mobile is still the most convenient. Not all mobiles heat up during long video recording. With charger connected, it can keep recording for hours.

Another option is to get an action camera. Such cameras usually have wide angle lens. But like mobile, can be connected to chargers and can keep recording for hours.

Video shooting through mobile is still the most convenient. Not all mobiles heat up during long video recording. With charger connected, it can keep recording for hours.

Another option is to get an action camera. Such cameras usually have wide angle lens. But like mobile, can be connected to chargers and can keep recording for hours.
Tried with Samsung S9 and S10 and another xiaomi phone (don't remember the model), for 45+ mins, all these heated up. I wouldn't say super hot, but I was afraid if it will blast or something. Though it won't possibly happen, the fear just came like that.
I thought phones will shutdown automatically upon overheating, but didn't happen here.

Tried with Samsung S9 and S10 and another xiaomi phone (don't remember the model), for 45+ mins, all these heated up. I wouldn't say super hot, but I was afraid if it will blast or something. Though it won't possibly happen, the fear just came like that.
I thought phones will shutdown automatically upon overheating, but didn't happen here.
Some heating is okay. Don't worry about it too much. Remove the case if it has any.

How are twitch streamers able to use their Samsung and apple devices to stream for 4 to 6 hours non stop? Both front and back cameras being switched all the time.

Back