Best OS bootable from pen drive

flash23

Adept
My friend's only HDD has gone kaput and needs to be sent for RMA. He has an external 320gb hdd and a 4gb pendrive.

Since installing OS into external HDD is PITA I thought the best way is to boot from the pendrive.

I first thought about Chrome OS, the image from Hexxah, but I since its a cloud based OS wont it affect the normal working in absence of an internet connection. So I want to know the best OS that can boot from a 4gig pendrive, preferably a standalone OS which can perform the basic tasks of browsing, media player, etc.

Any idea about Knoppix??

He has to use this method until the rmaed drive returns ie about a month.

Thanks

i am still using linuxMint 10. now i can access Internet for another system using that. (no fear for keyloggers, etc.)

#[member='thatsashok'] Is this the procedure you followed http://puppylinux.org/wikka/InstallationFrugal

Seems a bit complicated. i have no experience of working on Linux. Can this be created from a Win 7 based PC?

#[member='CA50'] the boot drive should be the pendrive(4gb) not the install media.

Also I think Mint requires a proper internal HDD to be installed.

#CA50 If I am getting this right, using Yumi I can make a plug-n-play type of OS. Am I correct?

Also which distro is more user friendly for a complete n00b, the OS will be used used only for basic tasks like browsing, media.

Also can open office/ MS office be used in this condition?

^ yes mate you can use it, you can select ubuntu

Ye mate you can use it to ope office files, play music, browse net etc.etc.

I would recommend Mint because of its simplicity and ability to play different multimedia formats which aren't generally supported by most distros.

Get any one- linux mint, ubuntu or fedora.

I believe you can create a live USB with the ability to store files and settings using universal usb installer.

You can also go through the installation process and install the OS on the USB drive just like how you install on a normal HDD.

I created a bootable USB using YUMI and Linux Mint 12 with LXDE http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=98

Disconnecting the HDDs and plugging in the USB I powered on my pc, selected the second option ie to select the iso.

I was welcomed by a linuxmint 12 splash screen then came a black screen.

This black screen stayed for ~1-2 min then the BUsy box window showed up.

I have no idea how to proceed further I was hoping to see a Windows like GUI.

Please help out guys.

Thanks.

#[member='flash23'], follow these steps :

- Connect your USB drive (prefer per-formatted)

- Run YUMI

- Click on "i agree"

- Select your USB drive

- Now from the list select your version of LinuxMint, make sure that you choose the proper one

- Next browse to the file, and click on create

In my case, after booting the USB drive, i am greeted with a welcome message like

* boot from iso

* linux distro

For linux mint, i choose linux distro > choose linuxmint in the next page

#[member='CA50'] I already did the steps you mentioned except I choose the option to load another iso since mint lxde was not on the list.

Im getting the busy box window after selecting linux mint from the option linux distro

#[member='flash23'], i suggest you to use the distro listed there.

You can also try choosing "Linux Mint 12 KDE 32 bit", just make sure that you rename the actual linuxmint image file to : linuxmint-12-kde32bit.iso

why cant he use a live OS and hibernate it instead of a shutdown ie if he wants to keep the settings else it doesn't matter . For a temporary solution I have also ran my PC on live OS and it was not a bad experience.

Back