CPU/Mobo Best P67 motherboard

traved

Disciple
I was going with the GIGABYTE P67A-UD3 but I heard that there are better motherboards. My budget is 10-13k btw. Please help

Msi p67a-gd65,asus p8p67 pro are also good.These boards have sli,more connectivity options and fall in your budget.Although What are your requirments?

SLI basically, just did some research on custom built pcs from Alienware, Newegg, Velocity Micro and I saw that the Asus P8P67 PRO is the best mobo for my current budget. Thanks

No point in upgrading from a UD3 B3 especially if only performance is what you need. Higher boards have some better features like more SATA III ports, Quad SLI etc. Otherwise, doesn't make too much of a difference and definitely not worth going just one model up.

Wait for Z68!

rite said:
No point in upgrading from a UD3 B3 especially if only performance is what you need. Higher boards have some better features like more SATA III ports, Quad SLI etc. Otherwise, doesn't make too much of a difference and definitely not worth going just one model up.

Wait for Z68!
He is not upgrading. He is just asking for suggestions for a better board and I think Asus P8P67 Pro/MSI P67A-GD65 fit the bill.

Waiting for Z68 is pointless. There is simply not enough in it to justify the wait. The Z68 is a combination of features from P67 and H67 for people who want CPU overclocking support along with access to the integrated graphics. Apart from that there are only a couple of other features that not every one may care about.

Intel Z68 Express Chipset Preview: SSD Caching And Quick Sync : Z68 Express Makes Its Debut

IMO try to stay clear off Asus if Rashi is going to handle warranty.

MSI P67A GD55/65/80 are all fine, 9500,10800,13500 approx respectively

Gigabyte UD4 B3 is fine too, this costs 12600

I woulds stay away from the Gigabyte P67 (except UD7) boards simply because of the less number of SATA ports. These days even Optical drives have to run off SATA and 6 SATA IMO is less. Considering the user base that these boards are targeted for also have 4 to 6 HDD in their systems, I think Gigabyte made a bad decision putting only 6 SATA on boards that cost above 10k.

Lord Nemesis said:
Waiting for Z68 is pointless. There is simply not enough in it to justify the wait.

Intel Z68 Express Chipset Preview: SSD Caching And Quick Sync : Z68 Express Makes Its Debut

I'm falling short by 10k for my system. So, i had to scrap the GPU. Without GPU, i had to go with the 2400+H67 instead of the earlier 2500k+P67.

With Z68, I can get the 2500K, for now, and later when my cash cow starts milking, i'll buy an 6870. Win-Win. Only damn thing is have to wait for a month or so.

Z68's NDA last date is 9th May. It might me released after a few weeks. Z68 will be priced almost similar to P67.

IMO

even if you have 2 SATA Drives plus 4x2TB HDDs, 6 ports are good enough. Not many people need more than 8 TB space with 2 DVD RWs.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

IMO

even if you have 2 SATA Drives plus 4x2TB HDDs, 6 ports are good enough. Not many people need more than 8 TB space with 2 DVD RWs.

rite said:
IMO

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

IMO

Your only considering new builds, most people that are upgrading will already have 2-3 HDDs minimum and will wanna carry em to the new build, thats when the issue arises.

It is best to buy new HDDs and transfer the data there. Who wants to keep Seagate 7200.11/10 or old WD drives.

The minimum I would keep is a 7200.12/WD Black and nothing less than 1-2 TB.

rite said:
It is best to buy new HDDs and transfer the data there. Who wants to keep Seagate 7200.11/10 or old WD drives.

Rite, at all times this logic does not work. People try to salvage over maximum compatible components from legacy builds. PSUs and HDDs fall into this category quite nicely. I am still with one of my Seagate 80GB HDDs which is like 5 years + 3 builds old. As and when more space is required we buy more platters and increase the counts.

Apart from that, people are migrating to SSD nativity so again we are left over with HDD space which can be utilized for non-speed requirements -- which I am sure you are aware of. It should not be generalized that "who wants to".

rite said:

Thats your opinion and not everyone moving to a new platform would upgrade their HDDs, because for most people simply port their data and only do a fresh install in the windows partition of the existing drives.

rite said:

^^

You logic is ridiculously Techboyish. Anyone spending over 10k on a motherboard ought to have connectivity for at least 6 HDD in addition to optical drives, but the more, the merrier. I am not even saying 6 is enough, just that 6 is the bare min you should look at.

Not every one buys new hdd's and copy 100's of Gigabytes of data every time they upgrade. Do you know how much time it took me to copy more than 2TB of data to Seagate green series drives?

Even if I carry over two large drives from previous system and buy two new ones, I must have expansion space for at least two more drives for future requirement. What about the case where people have External eSATA drives and want to hook up the front panel connectors?

Saying 4 x 2TB is enough for most people is the equivalent of saying 640Kb RAM is enough for anyone. We are not talking about normal users who buy 20k rigs. We are talking about people who spend 10~20k on a motherboard alone. statements like 8TB ought to be enough don't apply at all to such people.

Just for an example, look at my own usage. I have an 1 x SSD for OS, 1 x WD AAKS 7200RPM Drive for installs, 2 x 2TB Green drives for storage. I have only 1TB of free space overall. That is already 4 SATA used up with bare minimal drives. What should I do when I want more storage space?

4TB only for storage ain't enough for you !! :O and 2 more SATA are left you can have 4-6TB more on those . BTW are you running a server or keeping back up of your collection in multiple disks? IMO go for Gigabyte or MSI . Stay away from ASUS . Well SATA port numbers are upon you to decide . Not every body needs TBs of Hard Disk and 2-4 DVD drives. MSI I didnt get when I was buying my combo . I liked the MSI P67-GD65 :D .

^^ If you look at the market segment that spends a premium on high end components, you will also notice that they tend to have a lot of storage space spread across multiple drives. There can be no generalization in this segment that this much ought to be enough. Udit has 18TB of storage space if I remember right and he had that when 2TB drives were barely introduced and were selling for 11k each. Go figure.

And yeah, the motherboard suggestion was not for me, I already have a P8P67 Deluxe which is a rock solid board. I was just suggesting that the current crop of Gigabyte boards are disappointing because of the lack SATA ports. I bought a Gigabyte board for my previous X48 build just because it offered 8 SATA ports. Gigabyte even offered 10 SATA ports in its later motherboards and frankly seeing only 6 ports on their P67 and Z68 series is disappointing.

Back