Storage Solutions Best Possible way to Backup Sensitive Data ?

Hi subhasis,

Have all data to be backed up often, to be put in a central location, like a server or NAS in the building itself.

Have a second server/NAS for replication (backup)

Shop around for any local solution providers that can do offsite backup in India itself.

As for data leakage and sensitive information, it would be best to have a meeting between yourself and other stakeholders such as IT manager, security manager and review your company's Information Security policy, if it's ok, or needs to be modified.

Good luck

Contact an IT consulting company like accenture or mckinsey and they will give you the best solution.
Other option is to get in touch with few top IT companies directly like TCS, IBM or Infosys and see who gives you the best solution.

Then go with Windows Server if you want ease of managing a single set of systems. Be aware that the cost would be high - not the highest

CAPEX

2x Entry level servers - 50K-60K each. This is assuming you have 500GB in each with RAID1. With RAID5 or 10, the cost will increase as well.
2x Windows Server licenses - 50K each. This is assuming you are using paper licenses and have CALs per user/device covered. OEM licenses will be cheaper.
2x 2TB USB HDDs - This is for a backup of the file servers. Can be setup for incremental backups.
Wireless link to connect two buildings with configuration and wiring - 15K for 100 Mbps and 30K for Gigabit links. If you have an existing link, no need for the same.

OPEX

I am talking about recurring OPEX
Cloud backup - 2/10 USD per month for 100GB/1TB of Google Drive.Or provider of your choice.
Internet line for cloud - Speeds is directly proportional to cost.

If you need more info or want someone to setup such a solution, please do PM me.

Yes i do need a setup solution for my work ...i will PM you as soon i find out the procedure in techenclave vivek.[DOUBLEPOST=1441795185][/DOUBLEPOST]Meanwhile what actually is reccuring opex ? vivek

Last edited:
I am probably late into this thread but its simple,
1. setup two computers. one at the source site and other at target site.
2. buy LSI Megaraid SAS/SATA HBA. http://www.avagotech.com/products/server-storage/raid-controllers/megaraid-sas-9260-8i supports upto 8 drives
3. Buy enterprise class self encrypting drives. something like http://www.hgst.com/products/hard-drives/ultrastar-7k4000
4. Configure RAID10 with hotspares. LSI Megaraid supports this and this will ensure you wont lose data on the source or target site in case of hdd failure. dont buy all the drives from same batch.
5. Now once you have all this setup on both the sites. use rsync or your favorite backup program to take backups.

btw, this wont be cheap as enterprise class SED drives would be costly. but this setup will ensure you that you will not lose data 90% of the time with industry standard secure storage.

oh, i forgot. use encrypted file system. install freebsd and zfs and make a nas box. ;)[DOUBLEPOST=1443890131][/DOUBLEPOST]if you want to get creative, you could setup iscsi target on the remote site and then use those volumes as a remote mirror in zfs pool. this will result in a mirror. which means what ever you write on the source site will be mirrored to the target site. so you wont have to do your management tasks like configuring backup scripts etc... but you wont get incremental backups. i.e., you ****up and want to revert back to 1 month old records, you wont be able to. but then zfs allows you to take snapshots ;)

Last edited:
Back