Audio Best small, high performance speakers set?

Zinc

Adept
Hey guys!

I travel a lot and need good speakers for my laptop (a 2.5 years old HP Pavilion DV6767TX, if that helps) which I can carry around with me in my luggage (yes, the one in the flights) without making it too heavy.

A 2.1 solution seems a bit weighty to me, given the fact that I usually have a lot of luggage.

So my specific requirements are as under:

1. Budget: None specifically but the speakers should not be overpriced for the features and quality they offer. :)

2. Usage: Mainly for listening to Metal (like Megadeth, etc) and other kinds of Rock at high volume (so the sound should not "tear", if you know what I mean! :))

3. Ambient conditions: Since I travel a lot so most probably I'll be using them in not-very-large rooms.

4. Special requirements: Should be lite and small as mentioned earlier. And should also be available in India.

I even went for a demo of Bose Computer MusicMonitor (Bose Computer MusicMonitor - Computer Speakers - Computer Sound Systems - Bose Multimedia Speakers), which although were good sound quality wise but very steeply priced. Are they worth buying for that much?

Please give in your suggestions! :)

TIA

bennysachdev said:
AudioEngine AE2 FTW!!!! I haven't seen anything that beats the sound quality from these lil things for its size.

Thanks for replying.

I guess these are available in Mumbai only as per the Audioengine site.

The link given on their site (BAJAAO.COM - India - Buy & Review Musical Instruments in India - BAJAO) also doesn't have these speakers.

One other set that is available at bajao.com is M-Audio Studiophile AV40, which also looks like a decent option.

Any other suggestions anyone?

raksrules said:
You can check out X-mini. Heard they have very good reviews.

Thanks for replying.

Actually I'm looking for a powered solution.

Also my laptop's Altec Lansing is pretty good but I just want loud music without crackle and decent low frequency output.

^ +1.......i own the T20 and got a friend a T40 last week. T40 > AE2 but its hard to find and its not really small. T20 is smaller than the T40 but still bigger than the AE2. Weight it also in that order.

adreamer said:
The usual suspects -- Creative T20/T40?

^ +1.......i own the T20 and got a friend a T40 last week. T40 > AE2 but its hard to find and its not really small. T20 is smaller than the T40 but still bigger than the AE2. Weight it also in that order.

Thanks for replying here.

I have actually looked at both T40 and T20 but they seem like a bit big in size.

But I'll try and have a demo somewhere surely.

The T20/T40 are big like i said earlier, and I wouldn't recommend them to you as you stated in your 1st post you need for travelling.

Have you considered a JBL dock?

bennysachdev said:
The T20/T40 are big like i said earlier, and I wouldn't recommend them to you as you stated in your 1st post you need for travelling.

Have you considered a JBL dock?

One of my friends is using a JBL dock and I wasn't particularly impressed with the sound.

Actually the only product that I found interesting was Bose Computer MusicMonitor (as per size and sound), but it was very costly.

I'm looking for a similar thing or else I'll save some money for it, but I wanted to know whether it is worth that much.

These Audioengines also look to be good.

Is the T40 better than the AE2 in terms of SQ (the source remaining the same - Audiotrak HD2) ? Its on eBay for 11.7k (which seems to be an atrocious price considering it retails for 99$ on the Egg !!)

EDIT: Its almost 4k cheaper through GEB !! WTH !! :mad:

I think it should be priced below 7k. 7760/- is still worth it if you ask me. Making them an awesome deal for the quality they provide.
@Lord Nem: They are amazing as 2.0 speakers is what i'll say. If your looking for positional sound(any other purpose except Music, since music will always be Stereo) then a 5.1 setup would be better. But the 5.1 wouldn't provide that kinda quality as a 2.0 of that price range would provide. Its a trade-off. ;)

you guys should look up the Swan's distributor in Chennai.. ProMusic or somesuch name.

The M10 is a very very good pair of budget speakers. If they have higher up models like the D1080MKII, even better.

stalker said:
you guys should look up the Swan's distributor in Chennai.. ProMusic or somesuch name.

The M10 is a very very good pair of budget speakers. If they have higher up models like the D1080MKII, even better.

But they don't fulfill my requirements of weight and portability.

Do you have any suggestions as per my OP?

Till now I have got AE2 and T40 to check out.

Back