Audio best Speakers for Music with Denon 1910

*Raj*

Adept
I intend to buy Denon 1910 with Polk audio RTi A3 (pair of speakers only) with DSC pro 600 sub-woofer (polk audio). Total damages for above 2.1 setup may be above 80k. Please suggest AV receiver with perfect 2.1 setup in a budget of about 1L (total) with audiophile performance. Presently I have connected logitech Z-5500 with very good sound card i.e. HT Omega Claro Plus :) Experienced users are welcome for suggestions :eek:hyeah:

Err if you want just for music, why are you getting a Denon AVR? Those things suck bigtime at music. Also if you really care about audiophile performance, dump the sub and just get better speakers for the money.

For ~1 lac I'd suggest the following - Epos M12.2 Speakers+stands, Marantz PM7003 Integrated Amp and Cambridge Audio 650C CD player. If you are open to preowned equipment, you can do a lot better for that money.

I have many mp3 players which I dont intend to use but intend to stream all songs from computer to AVR and then speakers

I recommned you Amplifiers from Cambridge Audio for the present speaker setup.Also use top quality cables & interconnects too.

I'm with Chaos ref your AVR choice. Really, dump the sub and AVR.

If you want to stay with Polk, the LSi9 is a fantastic performer for the money, and you can mate it to a Creek Evo amp for a more forward sound, or a Denon PMA 1500 for a warmer presentation. You'll need a new card though - good as the Claro is, this kind of equipment will show up the deficiencies of the source.

Another alternative are the Usher X-718 and a Musika amplifier + USB DAC combination, this way you will save the cash on the source.

*Raj* said:
I have many mp3 players which I dont intend to use but intend to stream all songs from computer to AVR and then speakers

You can do that with an integrated amp as well. Just connect the sound card out into one of the line level inputs. My setup is very similar too - only difference is that I use a Preamp - Power Amp combo and also use a headless box for storing and streaming music. To play something I simply use Remote Desktop to log onto the machine and play whatever I need.

Remember that an AVR is built purely for movies where only impact matters and its music performance is severely compromised. If you can get denon and Polk easily, the Denon PMA 700E or 1500E are nice choices too. Also as Cranky mentioned, the Polk LSi is also a fantastic speaker with very good quality Vifa drivers.

PS: You'll start hating MP3s if you get the setup that me or cranky mentioned above.

I wouldn't suggest speakers less than Focal, B&W, Monitor Audio etc or higher. You can get better than the Polk or Wharf class.

The only B&W that will fit his budget is the 685, and that is grossly overpriced in India (2x the price in even England, traditionally an expensive market). The low-end MAs are simply not to the class of the Epos or the LSi, they've just been around for such a long time that their brand is synonymous with hifi, but one can do better.

As for Focal, their entry level offerings are absolutely pathetic - the entire Chorus series deserves to be in the dustbin. They start getting better once you cross the 2L budget range, but not at entry level for sure. Remember this is not a game where you chase brands, you're looking for the best possible sound within a budget.

The top-end manufacturers always palm off second-rate stuff as their 'budget' offerings. For those with small budgets, the best products from mainstream manufacturers are better than sub-par products from Tier 1 brands.

How about floorshanding or bookshelves from B&W. That would set him back about 40k. Another 40k on the amp and the remaining 20k on the sub woofer.

I am about to order for Focal 807, DSC 600 pro Polk audio and Denon 1910 after demo. Damages may be approx 1.15L. Pl. advise

*Raj* said:
I am about to order for Focal 807, DSC 600 pro Polk audio and Denon 1910 after demo. Damages may be approx 1.15L. Pl. advise

Err, haven't there been a lot of sane advice already?

1.15 is a decent sum. Don't blow it on mediocre equipment, something you'd rue a few days down the line. Spend some time auditioning the recommended equipment, you'd hardly regret it.

I've heard the 1910 and frankly apart from the marketable features there's nothing to sing about. On the contrary the Marantz SR3001 costing half as much fared better, and the 4003 available at about 25 grand is miles ahead of the Denon's entry level offering.

On a side note if its purely for Movies/Games then the Denon may not be a bad choice afterall. But for music...

^That Denon 1910 is no average AVR when it comes to movies though. The 1910 costs about 35k approx. the marantz costs only about half of that price?

Thanks for your advice. Would certainly love to listen to marantz but..............Sarang comments are incom.................

Gannu said:
^That Denon 1910 is no average AVR when it comes to movies though. The 1910 costs about 35k approx. the marantz costs only about half of that price?

Yup, its ~17K (SR3001/2).

*Raj* said:
Thanks for your advice. Would certainly love to listen to marantz but..............Sarang comments are incom.................

The incomplete part is intentional. :)

*Raj* said:

All of that is pure crap equipment and you are simply blowing your money on substandard stuff. This equipment is okay for movies, but is just totally bad for music.

Marantz's are difficult to service when they go wrong. Is that true? I have heard from people in the 'line' that Marantz receivers are super duper expensive to service. Whatsay?

Anyone got any contacts in Denon or other such premium brands for getting discounts?...my uncle is lookin to but a ht for his new house in surat...budget 2-3 lacs...any suggestions

Exactly what kind of stuff does he listen to? Is it for music or movies? 3lacs is a very very good budget and you can get pretty serious stuff in that money.

Back