CPU/Mobo Best Stepping for Venice & Winchester

Freaky

ex-Mod
I need the best steepings for the 3000 and 3200+ for the above cores. I need them with the description on the processor which explains which core it is. I know it is there somewhere here but I can't seem to find it.

For Venice --- 0515 and 0517.... And APAW. They are the best!!! JediMaster has a APAW 0515(or is 0517?? ) and he touched 3.0 GHz.

First step to identify the core is to check the OPN (Ordering Part Number) written on the processor's metal heatspreader. The heatspreader will be visible through a plastic window on your Processor's retail box.

- For a Winchester , the OPN should end in BI

- For a Venice, the OPN should end in BP

For even more detailed reading on Athlon64 OPN's , you can read up at : http://www.amdboard.com/amd64_opn.html

Now as per steppings, dont bother too much about the Winchesters as none of the current steppings OC well.

As per the Venice's, the 0515 and 0517 week processors seem to be good. Especially the ones with "PAW"s :eek:hyeah:

eg: 0517 EPAW

You will find it difficult to get a stepping of your choice as most dealers in India will not know what the hell you are talking abt. Also, 0515 mean 15th week of 2005. So, they will be sold out obviously..... the batch which came to India was the 0518 stepping.... And now the ones which will come will be even later ones.

And abt the Winnies --- there are a few good ones. Bottle has an amazing Winnie..... It does really good speeds.

yeah we don't have much choices lets see wat i get ....anyways 1st i have to get rid of this comp .... i will post in the market section in 1 or 2 days ... :)

The batch that came first was 0517. I got 1 from that batch LBBLE 0517EPAW. Excellent overclocker.
But it was very small in number and quickly sold out.

Nikhil said:
You will find it difficult to get a stepping of your choice as most dealers in India will not know what the hell you are talking abt.
Well, if your dealer has these in stock, you can simply ask him to show it to you. The heatspreader on an Athlon64 processor is easily visible through the small window in the retail box. You can check your core/stepping/whatever you want.
The important thing right now is to hope your dealer has them in stock, which should happen as the Venice is gradually replacing the Winchester procs. However dont rely on your dealers to know when the change has happened, they may have Venice procs with them and not know about it as the only difference between a Venice and Winnie will be the OPN number on the heatspreader - retail packaging will still be the same.

Also, 0515 mean 15th week of 2005. So, they will be sold out obviously..... the batch which came to India was the 0518 stepping.... And now the ones which will come will be even later ones.
Yep, quite true , you'll find only later steppings coming in now. But off the bat these are the only steppings that come to mind. You'll need to look around at any OC'ing databases and the likes to find which are the favourable steppings among the upcoming weeks.

The Winnies peaked during particular set of weeks sometime last year (dont remember which weeks - think it was 40 or something, bottle should know better), after that its only been downhill. So unless you're somehow getting an older batch of Winnies, only then you should be interested in knowing the steppings for them.

My Winnie a 0501 is one of the poor oc;ers...... Can;t go above 2.5 (Prime stable). Can touch 2.63 in suicide shots thiugh..... can even run 3dmark 05 at 2.61... but in the end, it is NOT prime stable.... Prime stable only at 2,5....

Actiually the winchester upto 0441 and 0444(this perticular week only) were good. Rest all were really bad overclockers for some reason.
When Venice launched most of them were 3500+ and 3800+ so those must be from very good weafers. And very few 3000+ and 3200+ were there to begin with so mostly the same chips that might be binned for higher 3500+ and 3800+.
Thats why you se these early venice cores to be good overclocker as they most probably belong to same weafer as AMD heavyweights.
Thats why 0515 and 0517 3000+ and 3200+ are good overclockers.
Atleast thats what my logic tells me.
Just hope that this dosent happen to SD although chances are very high.

Back