Best VFM Audio Video Receiver/Amplifier

smalltiger_s

Disciple
Hello dear TE friends,

Here i need your suggestion on buying a value for money Audi video Receiver (like, onkyos or yamahas, etc of the world). I have been baffeled by the choices and can't seem to make head or tail out of it.

My requirements are following:

1. A AVR system which has a digital or co-axial audio out ( i want it to power my Logitech Z5500 speakers)

2. Video upscaling will be preferred but is not mandatory.

3. 3D pass should be there for future proofing my purchase

4. i watch movie 70% of the time and 30% goes into listening to music

My budget - max 25,000 INR

Current Set up

1. 32 inch HD Ready Panasonic LCD
2. Philips DVD Player
3. Logitech Z5500 speakers set up

Can't understand as to what is it that i should buy? Advice please!!

Upscaling is too much to ask for at this price point. Upconversion though starts lowest with the Denon 1611/12 at close to 25k

Everything else except the upconversion and the OSD you could get in the younger bro @18K with the Denon 1311 or the newer 1312.

sarang said:
Upscaling is too much to ask for at this price point. Upconversion though starts lowest with the Denon 1611/12 at close to 25k

Everything else except the upconversion and the OSD you could get in the younger bro @18K with the Denon 1311 or the newer 1312.

Thanks for you advice!since i am planning to seperately buy a blue ray player/hd media player - which i assume would have upscaling, then let me keep the upscaling aside.

So here is what i am looking at now:

My requirements are following:

1. A AVR system which has a digital or co-axial audio out ( i want it to power my Logitech Z5500 speakers)

2. Video upscaling will be preferred but is not mandatory. (not required)

3. 3D pass should be there for future proofing my purchase

4. i watch movie 70% of the time and 30% goes into listening to music

My budget - max 25,000 INR

Current Set up

1. 32 inch HD Ready Panasonic LCD

2. Philips DVD Player

3. Logitech Z5500 speakers set up

Why do you require an AVR in the first place? Your Z5500 has a built in amp already. People choose AVR since it can handle a bunch of devices' audio and video inputs to drive a set of speakers/display and switch between them easily. When you decide to connect your Z5500 via optical to the AVR, all the AVR does is bypass it's own amp and send the audio signals to the speakers and video signals to the TV! In short, the investment is wasted.

Does your TV have an optical or coaxial out? If yes, what you could do is to connect the blu-ray player/media-player to the TV via HDMI and connect the speakers to the TV using coaxial/optical out. You can withdraw the Philips DVD player from the scene since the blu-ray player can take care of your needs. Opt for Samsung's blu-ray player since it seem to support .mkv files.

Gannu said:
Why do you require an AVR in the first place? Your Z5500 has a built in amp already. People choose AVR since it can handle a bunch of devices' audio and video inputs to drive a set of speakers/display and switch between them easily. When you decide to connect your Z5500 via optical to the AVR, all the AVR does is bypass it's own amp and send the audio signals to the speakers and video signals to the TV! In short, the investment is wasted.

Does your TV have an optical or coaxial out? If yes, what you could do is to connect the blu-ray player/media-player to the TV via HDMI and connect the speakers to the TV using coaxial/optical out. You can withdraw the Philips DVD player from the scene since the blu-ray player can take care of your needs. Opt for Samsung's blu-ray player since it seem to support .mkv files.

The reason i am looking for an amp is that my TV doesn't have a digitial out and the only output that it does is the mono audio out. When i use the same Z5500 as input then i dont get any(read very feeble-barely audible) sound from the surround speakers. So the set up effectively translates into a 2.1 set up and ceases to be a 5.1 set up. Whilst when i play anything from the DVD player-the sound comes from all channels and is a treat to hear. I either will have to buy a Tata sky or was thiking of buying an amp and ps3/xbox and then connect all of them to the amp.

^Then again, you could connect the speakers to the blu-ray player or media player via one digital input and the other source via the second digital input.

If you choose to go the media player way, buy one that has a coaxial digital out. A majority of them out there doesn't have one! AC Ryan POHD has both the toslink and the coaxial out. Same goes for the blu ray player as well.

Choose the AVR only when you decide to let go off the speaker system. That'd be my 2 cents.

Thanks @gannu! the reason i am looking for a AVR was that i want thinking of connecting multiple devices and still making use of Z5500 :) i am trying to figure out if i can pair the z5500 with a AVR?

Back