best website to get accurate internet speed test in India

jammy420

Adept
what are all the best websites to get accurate internet speed in India?

fast.com gives me 230 Mbps
Speedtest.net by ookla gives me around 450 Mbps

my actual plan is 200 Mbps from Airtel at Trichy. so confused which website is true.

https://testmy.net/ is fluctuating from 120 Mbps to 270 Mbps

Are these results all based on a lan based connection or wifi based connection

Speedtest will connect to closest Indian server (you can change to a further server if you want)
Fast.com will connect to your closest Netflix server (these are highly optimised)

As long as you are getting more than your plan why worry :)

Are these results all based on a lan based connection or wifi based connection

Speedtest will connect to closest Indian server (you can change to a further server if you want)
Fast.com will connect to your closest Netflix server (these are highly optimised)

As long as you are getting more than your plan why worry :)
wifi. my worry was what if both are not correct and it is less

Last edited:
I'm also getting a speed higher than my plan on the cloudflare test lol.
OP, on speedtest.net, try a singapore or EU server - by default it will test with a local server and won't be indicative of the speed you actually experience.

Singapore server https://www.speedtest.net/result/15177539945.png
Default server, Airtel Delhi - https://www.speedtest.net/result/15177545347.png

For fast.com, ISPs specifically tune network settings to get better speeds for Netflix and other streaming apps, so again, it's not indicative of the overall speed you would get in general use.

I don't think any ISP can guarantee speeds to all sites. What they mean when they advertise speeds is to most general websites/large websites or sites they have peering agreements with like Netflix, Hotstar etc.

Download a torrent with enough seeds to get a good idea of what speeds you can expect if the server/bandwidth isn't a bottleneck.

Download a torrent with enough seeds to get a good idea of what speeds you can expect if the server/bandwidth isn't a bottleneck.
This is so wrong. With torrents you're dependent on the speed of the peer/uploader and the routing.

Although you're right that the speed advertised by the ISP is the maximum possible speed they will deliver on your connection but the only way to test that is by minimizing your distance from the server you're downloading from (in control) and maximizing the internet bandwidth on the server (not in your control). This basically means choose the nearest server on the speedtest app which is NOT from your ISP.

Last edited:
I don't know how other speed tests work, but remember reading an article about how fast.com works. I think they mimic realistic conditions quite well - with different number of parallel connections, ignoring ramp-up & processing time. Most seem to measure off of just one server (hearsay), which is not quite realistic. In my experience, fast has given the closest-to-what-I-experience result; whereas ookla's is more like if/when my network peaks.

I live in Tirunelveli, Tamilnadu. For me Ookla connects (by default) to one server about 50km away from me; the speed.cloudfare does one to Mumbai, I guess about 2000km away; fast connects to 3 servers - Madurai (200km), Chennai (700km) & Bengaluru (600km). From what they say, this number of servers connected to differs with location; I guess depending on how many servers are available close-by.

Last edited:
Back