BharOS is a new Android fork with a focus on security developed in India

6pack

ex-Mod
Source: https://m.gsmarena.com/bharos_is_a_new_android_fork_with_a_focus_on_security-news-57285.php

Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Madras just recently held a conference and announced BharOS – a new mobile operating system focused on privacy and security. The OS is developed by JandK Operations Private Limited (JandKops), which is a Section 8 (not-for-profit) Company established by IIT Madras. BharOS is basically a really clean fork of AOSP that offers various security and privacy features.

If they added an a at the end, the name would have become even better. Looks like it's targeted at govt or business not common people.

Just another 'custom' AOSP ROM, nothing more. Forks AOSP source, removes apps, adds custom UI, calls it 'Made in India' OS.

Lets see if they can compete with LineageOS.
From what I heard, it's gonna be decent enough but then it all comes down to the bootloader and you never know then Govt plans to install some "eyes and ears" in this OS and we may never know. I'll go with Cyanogen.

There is still no worthy alternative to the current two OSs. Blackberry 10 and Windows OS were very close being the 3rd major alternative.
Man I miss that Nokia Lumia - Windows 8 OS thing. It was so cool for the time. I miss it

There is still no worthy alternative to the current two OSs. Blackberry 10 and Windows OS were very close being the 3rd major alternative.
Yeah Microsoft dropped the ball with Windows mobile when they abandoned it. I still remember my HTC Touch Diamond with Windows mobile on it. It was fun albeit cramped using the stylus on it :)
Been meaning to post this for some time now. From a year ago almost to the day

Building an OS from scratch is a huge undertaking. Not being cynical or derogatory to genuine Indian scientists/researchers/developers but these days many things are marketed as indigenously developed. The startup ecosystem is a prime example of what we should not be celebrating. True innovation cannot happen with mere lip service. It takes years of investing in education (Both STEM and humanities) , research institutions. and mainly people....

I saw an ad which said it has killed Android and iOS. Don't know who that clickbaiter was trying to fool, but all that aside - good if it is privacy focussed and is open source.

This is not even available for the general public. We already have enough alternatives which fulfil the "objectives" of privacy and security even though both are myth.
open source.
I bet the security/privacy claim is a euphemism for gormint surveillance.
Well if they want to be transparent then they should make their source available for inspection. Unfortunately the AOSP licensing means that, anyone changing it, is not actually required to provide the source code.

It's not an OS. Just another skin for android. We have had many such skins developed in India. Everytime media claims it's an OS developed in India.

Looking at the name, I think it's gonna be loaded with bloatware. I like that they are at least honest about it.

Back