Big mess with paypal, someone please help me..

sasa110

Disciple
Hi, I paid a seller 300 usd on ebay (for a camera) with my paypal linked to icici virtual credit card. the money's gone from the credit card and payment has been made, now seller refuses to ship item.

he has actually refunded the amount a while back and it is showing in my paypal account page - i only have to 'accept' it within 30 days.

now, i dont have a bank account linked to my paypal, and even my name on my paypal account is different to my bank account (no middle name added in paypal). Paypal has warned on 'add bank' page that names must match.

i am just wondering how the refund will work -

1) will it go back from paypal directly to the virtual credit card, ie the source?

2) will it go from paypal to a linked bank account only? paypal rules seem to say that all paypal balances must be transferred to a bank account in 7 days - since i dont have a linked bank a/c as of now, i fear in 7 days paypal will eat my money. Hence I am holding on from "accepting" the refund - need to sort out name change with paypal and add SBI a/c to paypal within 30 days if this is the case.

3) will it stay in paypal and i will have the option to send it to either the source card or the bank?

4) or god forbid, do the new paypal rules dont even allow fund transfer to india? :S :S

someone who has a foreign ebay purchase refund experience, please help me out here, thanks so much! I am very worried!

A Middle name won't matter. Just add your Bank Account to Paypal and then get a transfer done.

My Name in the Bank was like this: Surname+Name+Middle Name

On Paypal it was Like this: Name+Surname

I linked my bank account and got payment not once but twice after verification. No issues. :)

@ m-jeri:
I think one can no longer use the Paypal Balance to purchase online if one has an Indian Paypal Account.

Just like m-jeri said, your best option is to spend the money.

I'm sure there are whole bunch of people here on TE that could make use of the funds.

You can also try what Neha has mentioned. Worst case scenrio, they'll retunrn the money back to your PayPal account if there is a banking issue.

@Neha... I'm still able to send money to people on PayPal (which might also constitute buying). Someone will have to try it to know for sure.

You can change the name your paypal account is linked to. You need to scan and upload some papers, that is all :)

The payments from Paypal are sent to you via NEFT. The names should match accurately only if you opt for Cheque payment as in that case, you'll be issued a cheque with your name on it.

For a NEFT, only the Account Number and IFSC need to be accurate.

GO ahead, link your bank account. Even if there is some error, you don't lose your money as the bank account won't get linked.

nehaladsul said:
GO ahead, link your bank account. Even if there is some error, you don't lose your money as the bank account won't get linked.
Well that's not true (atleast when I added my accounts a while ago).

There is no verification process to ensure accurate linking of your bank account to your Paypal account. You'll only know if things are going smoothly (or not) when you actually receive the funds in your account or it bounces back to your Paypal account. Paypal will charge you Rs. 250.00 & conversion charges based on current market pricing (USD-INR-USD) on the amount you are going to transfer if the payment bounces.

thanks for the replies. i was worried for a while that paypal had completely restricted payment to india (thats a random note i got from ebay yesterday) but apparently after the sellers refund is showing on my paypal and after your replies i think thats not the case. at least ill get the amount back (less paypal fees)

i guess this is what i am going to do (chronologically)

1)upload ID card scan and apply for name change so that paypal name = bank name

2) concurrently, add bank details - if they refuse to link due to name mismatch, at most i lose Rs. 250 now - it will get linked eventually because of (1)

3) "accept" the refund *only after bank linked* and hope amount goes back to credit card directly. if it doesn't, it should always go to bank automatically/manually.

^ thats my best chance. or else, paypal will simply eat away the money citing '7 day mandatory transfer of paypal balance to bank - but no bank linked' and various other excuses. happened to people before.

not buying anything with the money for now. :)

If the seller actually 'refunded' the payment it will automatically go back to the payment source ie your ICICI Credit Card in this case. It will NOT come as PayPal balance.

But from your post it seems that the seller initiated a new transaction and not actually refunded your original transaction. In that case, yes it will come up as PayPal balance which you can very well withdraw to your bank account.

If only your middle name is missing, there is nothing to worry, while adding your bank account you have to option to re enter the name exactly as in your bank records.

@nehaladsul : Well, the bank definitely will check the account holders name to cross check if it is the intended recipient but whether it needs to be an exact match depends on the bank I believe. I had made a NEFT transfer to a friend and accidentally omitted the middle name but the transfer went fine and the amount was credited.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

@sasa110 : There is no need to ask for a name change if only your middle name is missing. Even my name in Paypal is only First + Last Name whereas in my bank records it is First + Middle + Last Name.

While adding the bank account you will have an option to edit the first name so that you can add your middle name.

But if you had just asked the seller to actually refund the payment (not initiate a new transacion)there wouldn't have been any issues and the amount would have come back directly to your CC (You would have saved the PayPal fees as well)

/But from your post it seems that the seller initiated a new transaction and not actually refunded your original transaction./

Varkey - frankly, i dont know - how do i make out if its a 'refund' or a 'new transaction'? can't make out from the paypal transaction details page either.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

^ ok, doesnt matter if its a refund or fresh transfer. either way, ill have to cover for all bases.

^ If you check your original transaction details page in PayPal, it will be shown as refunded.

lzOUp.jpg

Did the seller send back the entire amount that you had paid initially?

Is it not, just reporting to ebay that "you've not received the product" is the better option? so seller has to do refund and if he has initiated new transaction, its not buyer mistake! In this case either u can ask the seller to re-initiate the refund and you pay him the amount by buying once more :) or ebay will verify all and do the required steps.

umm, doesnt look like a refund then. so link bank it is. thanks, V :)

PS; yes, he sent back entire amount, less paypal fees (12 dollars)

92841161.jpg

PS @Smnrock - the seller wont sell to me since my address in unconfirmed by paypal (only US and UK addresses linked to bank/card can be confirmed) - technically, he must ship to any address that i select on checkout, but he's refusing - and it seems this old practice is still in use. nonetheless, i cant force him to sell, and the 'not received your product' way only works after 'allowing for reasonable shipping time'. here, we got done things earlier - he refused to sell and proposed to refund, and i accepted!

You dont need to do any of that. Accept the refund, it will go back to the virtual cc, which will be linked to a real CC. So in next months bill you will get a credit of that amount.

PayPal refunds go back the way they came. Simple.

Paypal refunds are reflected in paypal balance and not cc, also I guess pp hasn't yet implemented the 7 day policy

when u link ur bank account to paypal , for verificatiom paypal will make 2 small deposits in ur bank and u will get to know that in 2-3 days in ur account statement , if u get that 2 deposits in ur account , bank account has been correctly linked to ur paypal , no further need to worry , just transfer the amount in ur account , simple

rite said:
Paypal refunds are reflected in paypal balance and not cc, also I guess pp hasn't yet implemented the 7 day policy

PayPal refunds are reflected in the funding source for that particular payment. If you paid from CC, the refund will be credited to the CC and if you paid from PayPal balance the refund will be credited to your PayPal account.

Please check the screenshot that I had posted earlier.
MohitPreet said:
when u link ur bank account to paypal , for verificatiom paypal will make 2 small deposits in ur bank and u will get to know that in 2-3 days in ur account statement , if u get that 2 deposits in ur account , bank account has been correctly linked to ur paypal , no further need to worry , just transfer the amount in ur account , simple

Yes but only if your account is not verified as of now. If you add a bank account to an already verified account ( through CC ) PayPal does not make the two small deposits and repeat the verification process.

why don't you write directly yo PayPal, they reply within 24 hours, see what they say & for verification purpose please scan some identity documents & send them so that they get a good impression at first, Indians anyways do not have a good reputation when it is related to finance, so they are extra cautious & hence for Indians they have different set of rules as directed to them through our piece of sh!t RBI.

Back