[ Bios Setting ] Need help in Overclocking 5900x on MSI x570 tomahawk max WiFi

princeoo7

On a Journey called Life :P
Skilled
As the title says, need help with Bios Setting for Overclocking 5900x on MSI x570 tomahawk max WiFi.
If I follow: https://www.msi.com/blog/amd-r9-5900x-overclocking-guide

I am able to get the oc, but while testing the OC, temps reach as high as 110c on a new pasted thermal paste. it was worse before.
normal temps are anywhere between 44c to 54c depending on what I am doing, for low-consuming apps. for Cine bench R23 it was 97-100c for the 10min multi-core test.
currently, I am manually running the CPU on 4200mhz, with ram @3600mhz. volt is 1.2V for the CPU. using an AIO (Galahad 360).

315180DF-EA59-4B0F-804C-F1B3A0F604EC.jpeg
192501AD-29BA-4B4F-8209-54631FBEA207.jpeg
A00CD40E-2663-49A3-B4D2-11BEB454FE40.jpeg

1658061761719.png

Last edited:
What is the temperature you got running w/o overclock with cinebench? The default PB seems good to drive most games, do you see any game performance issue with default setting?
Also this galahad is not good enough to drive this beast at Indian condition as far as your ambient temperature is low.

What is the temperature you got running w/o overclock with cinebench? The default PB seems good to drive most games, do you see any game performance issue with default setting?
Also this galahad is not good enough to drive this beast at Indian condition as far as your ambient temperature is low.
That time I use the ac in real-time use. currently using without ac to check the oc temps. and they are as above. also on default, never bothered to check as I under volt and always go for at least 4.2ghz.

in terms of performance, the system is definitely fast than before. the only issue is the stupid temps :p

I own a 5600x and did my own researched by gathering bit and pieces across google to have a stable OC but that was only for test purpose..

These link might help you..

Those temps are far too high for 4.2GHz @1.2V. Those are very conservative settings. Your performance would be actually lower than stock for multicore and single core. With that AIO you should not be breaking 65c on all core loads considering an ambient of 25c.

At what ambient are you testing and what are your fan/pump speeds? Also you seem to be running a BIOS version which is no longer listed on the support page for that board. Upgrade to the latest beta or downgrade to the last stable version.

Avoid static OC. Instead try the following settings after flashing to a BIOS which uses AGESA 1.2.0.6c or 1.2.0.7
- PBO Advanced
- PBO limits set to manual
- PBO Scalar set to auto
- PPT - 200W, EDC 140A, TDC 140A
- Curve optimizer all core -15
- Disable clock override.

This should get you to all core 4.6GHz. Keep lowering TDC by increments of 5 or 10 as long as performance does not drop. You will also not lose out on the single threaded performance this way. Cinebench R23 scores should be around 22k with this. Some benchmarks like more current and some prefer less. In any case do not increase EDC beyond 140A. Since AGESA 1.2.0.6c, the max voltage that the CPU can request is capped at 1.425V for EDC>140A. Going past this limit might get you better multicore but your max CPU boost clocks will go down for single core.

DO NOT touch LLC or PBO Scalar unless you want to degrade your chip faster. You can use it for benching but it's bad for running 24/7. Some chips are fine with modified LLC/Scalar values whereas some have degraded within a year.

Last edited:
Those temps are far too high for 4.2GHz @1.2V. Those are very conservative settings. Your performance would be actually lower than stock for multicore and single core. With that AIO you should not be breaking 65c on all core loads considering an ambient of 25c.

At what ambient are you testing and what are your fan/pump speeds? Also you seem to be running a BIOS version which is no longer listed on the support page for that board. Upgrade to the latest beta or downgrade to the last stable version.

Avoid static OC. Instead try the following settings after flashing to a BIOS which uses AGESA 1.2.0.6c or 1.2.0.7
- PBO Advanced
- PBO Scalar set to auto

This should get you to all core 4.6GHz. Keep lowering TDC by increments of 5 or 10 as long as performance does not drop. You will also not lose out on the single threaded performance this way. Cinebench R23 scores should be around 22k with this. Some benchmarks like more current and some prefer less. In any case do not increase EDC beyond 140A. Since AGESA 1.2.0.6c, the max voltage that the CPU can request is capped at 1.425V for EDC>140A. Going past this limit might get you better multicore but your max CPU boost clocks will go down for single core.

DO NOT touch LLC or PBO Scalar unless you want to degrade your chip faster. You can use it for benching but it's bad for running 24/7. Some chips are fine with modified LLC/Scalar values whereas some have degraded within a year.
ambient is not at 25c :p I run ac at 28c and for it, I was able to get a max 96c for the CB23 10mins test. I also think that the max temp is high. tried the dot method for thermal paste application. Don't know how they meant it to be a 4 - 5 mm dot.

- PBO Advanced
- PBO Scalar set to auto

where to do this in bios? I was trying to find the setting for PBO. I mean't for the Scalar, EDC and TDC thing. rest I was able to find under the advance settings. also due to this PBO thing only I think the temps are high as I have not changed any other settings regarding the same.
- PBO Advanced
- PBO Scalar set to auto
Avoid Static OC? I am not able to boot with that in for the following PBO. Now will try to update to stable bios. lets see what happens.
Downgraded to stable bios and still not able to boot with the pbo settings.

Getting below error : https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...le-error-7c49d78a-2792-96cf-2268-abbe9d9eb29f

Last edited:
How much is the performance gain after overclocking. Had it been Intel, the performance gains would have been better but Ryzen were never build of overclocking because they provide really good performance.

image.jpg

How much is the performance gain after overclocking. Had it been Intel, the performance gains would have been better but Ryzen were never build of overclocking because they provide really good performance.
App is way to fast for me. Like instant open close and stable fps in games also. Now trying the pbo thing. Not able to get 4.6ghz on all clock. Don’t know how to get it. I mean should I update the multiplayer to 46?
image.jpg
Is this what I get with PBO ?

Last edited:
ambient is not at 25c :p I run ac at 28c and for it, I was able to get a max 96c for the CB23 10mins test. I also think that the max temp is high. tried the dot method for thermal paste application. Don't know how they meant it to be a 4 - 5 mm dot.
Ambient seems cool enough but the temps are too high. I spread the paste manually using the spatula (included with some pastes) or a plastic card until there is a thin layer covering the entire IHS. Better to use more paste than less. The excess will simply be squeezed out onto the sides.

Dot or line method may not work well for Ryzen due to the layout of the chiplets under the IHS (especially if there is too little paste or mounting pressure).
where to do this in bios? I was trying to find the setting for PBO. I mean't for the Scalar, EDC and TDC thing. rest I was able to find under the advance settings.
Once you set PBO limits to Manual, those three settings will appear underneath
also due to this PBO thing only I think the temps are high as I have not changed any other settings regarding the same.
Could be but the temps were high with your static OC also which used only 1.2V. So I'm suspecting a bad mount/paste application or a AIO pump issue. Check if your pump is running at full speed and fans at >=50%. Then we can at least rule out fan/pump curve as the issue.
Oh I think -15 was too much of an offset then. Some cores are of better quality than the others and are preferred for lightly threaded tasks. They can boost higher and need more voltage to do so. If the offset is too much, the system can crash or not boot at all. You'll need to either reduce the all core offset or spend time tweaking the offset value for each core one by one. The better performance cores should have a lower offset (like -5) and the other cores can be offset more (like -25). You can see the preferred order of cores in Ryzen Master or HWInfo.

For now, try disabling curve optimizer and using only the PBO limits mentioned above. That should still increase your multicore scores if the cooling issues are fixed.
Now trying the pbo thing. Not able to get 4.6ghz on all clock. Don’t know how to get it. I mean should I update the multiplayer to 46?
No need to change the multiplier. If temps/power/current limits are not reached, PBO will automatically boost higher until FMax is reached. For 5900X, the default FMax is 4.95GHz below 85c and 4.7GHz above 85C. If you use clock override in BIOS, it increases FMax by whatever value you set there.
Is this what I get with PBO ?
No bud, the chip is throttling hard to protect itself. I get about 22800 with PBO on my 5900X and about 21400 with only curve optimizer. You probably did not notice this in games or day to day usage as the chip is not pushed as hard.

There is some problem with your AIO or how its configured or mounted. I use an Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 with my 5900X and my all core temps with PBO is only 81C. Without PBO, it does not cross 65C for multicore but has rare spikes up to 75c.

Not much for settings which you can use safely. Approximately 8% increase in multicore and barely any difference (3-4%) in single core. But the max power draw goes from about 140W to 200W (Or even more). Not worth the hassle for most people. Just by tweaking curve optimizer properly and disabling PBO limits, you can get most of the OC performance. The chip will also run cooler with less severe temp spikes.

Last edited:
Ambient seems cool enough but the temps are too high. I spread the paste manually using the spatula (included with some pastes) or a plastic card until there is a thin layer covering the entire IHS. Better to use more paste than less. The excess will simply be squeezed out onto the sides.

Dot or line method may not work well for Ryzen due to the layout of the chiplets under the IHS (especially if there is too little paste or mounting pressure).

Once you set PBO limits to Manual, those three settings will appear underneath

Could be but the temps were high with your static OC also which used only 1.2V. So I'm suspecting a bad mount/paste application or a AIO pump issue. Check if your pump is running at full speed and fans at >=50%. Then we can at least rule out fan/pump curve as the issue.

Oh I think -15 was too much of an offset then. Some cores are of better quality than the others and are preferred for lightly threaded tasks. They can boost higher and need more voltage to do so. If the offset is too much, the system can crash or not boot at all. You'll need to either reduce the all core offset or spend time tweaking the offset value for each core one by one. The better performance cores should have a lower offset (like -5) and the other cores can be offset more (like -25). You can see the preferred order of cores in Ryzen Master or HWInfo.

For now, try disabling curve optimizer and using only the PBO limits mentioned above. That should still increase your multicore scores if the cooling issues are fixed.

No need to change the multiplier. If temps/power/current limits are not reached, PBO will automatically boost higher until FMax is reached. For 5900X, the default FMax is 4.95GHz below 85c and 4.7GHz above 85C. If you use clock override in BIOS, it increases FMax by whatever value you set there.

No bud, the chip is throttling hard to protect itself. I get about 22800 with PBO on my 5900X and about 21400 with only curve optimizer. You probably did not notice this in games or day to day usage as the chip is not pushed as hard.

There is some problem with your AIO or how its configured or mounted. I use an Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 with my 5900X and my all core temps with PBO is only 81C. Without PBO, it does not cross 65C for multicore but has rare spikes up to 75c.

Not much for settings which you can use safely. Approximately 8% increase in multicore and barely any difference (3-4%) in single core. But the max power draw goes from about 140W to 200W (Or even more). Not worth the hassle for most people. Just by tweaking curve optimizer properly and disabling PBO limits, you can get most of the OC performance. The chip will also run cooler with less severe temp spikes.
With pbo and no curve I got the stable version Of my oc with less temp and some less frequency.

D8672B73-BD20-495F-8011-08188D237538.jpeg

image.jpg

Last edited:
Next try lowering the PBO limits a bit. Try PPT- 170W, TDC-110A, EDC-130A. Check if temps reduce or clock increases.

Btw which thermal paste are you using?
Noctua NH-T1 and before this Thermal Grizzly Kryptonite.

on PPT- 170W, TDC-110A, EDC-130A
I am getting 91c max and 60c normal on 4048ghz all core in cb23 with a 19343 score. no ac on!

the above is not stable. I have gone back to 1.15v for 4.2ghz as even with PBO I am getting the same. the issue is with pbo the temperature are lurking around 64-69c on idle where as for the static oc, its 51c but the 100% load goes to 99c instead of 90c with PBO.

Don't know if my aio is at fault or what.

Last edited:
the above is not stable. I have gone back to 1.15v for 4.2ghz as even with PBO I am getting the same.
Without using Curve optimizer, increasing PBO limits will not affect stability unless the system is shutting down due to overheating. Likely your CPU is tripping the thermal limit and turning off. With static OC, there will not be any spikes but with PBO it will try to boost high for lightly threaded loads. If while boosting the temp touches 115c even for a moment, it will trip. This might be why your static OC works fine but PBO fails.

Also your scores are somewhat okay but still lower than a stock 5900X.
the issue is with pbo the temperature are lurking around 64-69c on idle where as for the static oc, its 51c but the 100% load goes to 99c instead of 90c with PBO.

Don't know if my aio is at fault or what.
Your Galahad 360 is a good quality unit and is capable of cooling much better than this. There might be air bubbles blocking the flow. Remove the radiator and shake it a bit or try to mount it in a different orientation.

If temps still don't improve and the AIO is in warranty consider RMAing it. Some batches of MSI & Lian Li AIOs were faulty and they clogged up inside. After RMAing people got much better temps. You can find many reddit threads regarding this.

Last edited:
There might be air bubbles blocking the flow. Remove the radiator and shake it a bit or try to mount it in a different orientation.
You can try this, but if its resolves temporarily, then go with RMA. I too faced issue with galahad & as he said, the 1st version have issues with internals.

Doesn't the galahad 360 use 2 screws locking mechanism for 5900x ? Have you consider that there is no gap between the chip and the cooler ?

Are you using full spreading of thermal paste or dot , line method?
at the moment I am on the 5 dot method which I just now did. before that, I tried, the dot, spread, and x methods. dot was good as most fewer issues I have faced. don't know how well spread was as I was also doing bios reset and due to that, I had some ram issue which I will talk about below.

at the moment I am on the 5 dot method which I just now did. before that, I tried, the dot, spread, and x methods. dot was good as most fewer issues I have faced. don't know how well spread was as I was also doing bios reset and due to that, I had some ram issue which I will talk about below.
Personally I think that galahad 360 is good but i don't think it can't handle an overclocked ryzen 5950x or 5900x.. also consider the airflow in the case .. liquid freezer ii is a good option for a cheaper budget

Reply in general as this will merge with the above post of mine.

I am facing a weird issue. My RAM SLOT 3, 4 is not working with any ram when I start the system use it, then shut down it, and later on for the second boot after a long time like 1 or 2 hrs.
The system will not at all boot and the CPU light will be on in Motherboard Debug. If I remove the 4th slot ram and restart the system, Voila, it works. Tried with 2 different rams pairs and also in single slot mode. something really weird is going on and I have zero clue as to what it might be. I thought my ram had gone bad but it was just some stuff due to the reset of bios or CMOS. I figured it out and am able to make it work now with both the pairs able to boot in dual config in ram slots 2 and 4 showing 32GB in total.

1 more thing, I went back to stable bios as I think it was the beta bios causing the issue more than that of the stable version. now will use the system to check if gives me BSOD or system freeze or sudden restart. If this happens, than I will more to other pair and test it.

Currently on PBO setting with XMP profile 1 at 3200mhz:
PPT - 200W, EDC 140A, TDC 140A
Personally I think that galahad 360 is good but i don't think it can't handle an overclocked ryzen 5950x or 5900x.. also consider the airflow in the case .. liquid freezer ii is a good option for a cheaper budget
I am also thinking to get a new AIO as either this I will RMA and sell to cover the cost or install in my other system if it will be used in near future. let's see...

Back