CPU/Mobo bios settings are getting erased (even with new cmos battery)

downgamers

Disciple
whenever i start my pc it is giving two beeps and saying that cmos/bnvp error and asking me to go to setup bios every time.
so every time i turn on the computer i have input date and time and change the boot settings.
i have replaced the cmos battery,with a battery from my friends working pc,and today i bought a new battery but the problem still exists.
what is the problem, is it something wrong with the mobo or is it some software problem.
but if i keep the ups on that is supply power to psu then even if i turn off and on the pc this problem doesn't arise.

try updating the bios to the latest bios available for your motherboard.

check the manufacturer's website for the same.

madnav said:
try updating the bios to the latest bios available for your motherboard.

check the manufacturer's website for the same.

i tried to update the bios but its saying system does not support intel extreme bios update
and after googling a lot about this problem i came to know that this is a serious one.
but i couldn't find the solution anywhere.
in some forums it is given that it is due to a problem with mobo.
and in some it is given that it is due to shortage of pins or mobo contact with metal etc

and i tried to refresh the cmos(one more sol)but in my mobo there were no pins in that place only soldered points were there.
how to refresh then?

downgamers said:
whenever i start my pc it is giving two beeps and saying that cmos/bnvp error and asking me to go to setup bios every time.
so every time i turn on the computer i have input date and time and change the boot settings.
i have replaced the cmos battery,with a battery from my friends working pc,and today i bought a new battery but the problem still exists.
what is the problem, is it something wrong with the mobo or is it some software problem.
but if i keep the ups on that is supply power to psu then even if i turn off and on the pc this problem doesn't arise.

When did this first happen and how? Any power fluctuation?
Ur mobo details including its date of purchase plz

Gowt1ham said:
When did this first happen and how? Any power fluctuation?
Ur mobo details including its date of purchase plz

this is happening from past 3 months.i did not use it for 6 months and after that it worked fine for few days and then this problem arised.power fluctuations are possible because i keep the system on for long long periods,but i use a ups.

the mobo is intel D865gbf
(p4 3Ghz proc)
date of purchase is april 2004

(the odds for a mobo problem are the highest now)

eXcesscaLIBER said:
might sound stupid but I hope the CMOS jumper is collectly placed.. ?

i checked for the bios jumper and it is placed correctly.
then i checked for the cmos jumper but i dint see any pins there there were just 3 soldered points.
the mobo is intel d865gbf

downgamers said:
this is happening from past 3 months.i did not use it for 6 months and after that it worked fine for few days and then this problem arised.power fluctuations are possible because i keep the system on for long long periods,but i use a ups.

the mobo is intel D865gbf
(p4 3Ghz proc)
date of purchase is april 2004

(the odds for a mobo problem are the highest now)

this can be a mobo problem but unsure if its an hardware failure. My 845 mobo died the same but gave usb, fan and funny problems bfr it breathed its last. It also used to get stuck in BIOS(POST)

Surely for each and every motherboard there will be a bios reset jumper. You can even search for the manual of this mobo thru google and do a reset.

FYI, in the mobo it will be printed as CMOS reset. I was also having this crap mobo some time back and i got some hanging problem whilst gaming and i RMA'd it and luckily i got a refund of 3.5k for this mobo.....

Actually this mobo is a failure one. This was one of the best selling mobos and at the same time this was one which had the worst bugs...

i have a intel 865 with a p4 2.66ht chip. i use to face this problem. there's no bios update.

the problem went away after i reassembled the entire rig. i think the culprit was a huge collection of dust behind the board and maybe shorting out the bio when the computer was off and automatically resetting the bios.

um

Back