Storage Solutions BIOS & Windows doesn't recognize HDD, how to recover data ?

-Guevara-

Disciple
I think my seagate 500GB HDD may have died. Few days ago i started my computer and windows didn't boot...it said hard drive not detected.

I have 3 hard drives (2 western digital & 1 seagate)....so i formatted my western digital HDD (on which windows was installed) and reinstalled windows. It was because of this seagate HDD that the windows got corrupted in the other one. I took this seagate hdd out and put it in another computer and there too it didn't recognize and made clicking noise.

I had all my games backed up on it (around 200GB worth!) so is there a way to recover the data ? How much would it cost in nehru place ? It is out of warranty also...i bought it in 2009.

#-Guevara-,

Since your HDD is currently not detected in your system, you can't do anything about it.

All you can do is to go for some professional, but they a expensive.

I have 3 hard drives (2 western digital & 1 seagate)....so i formatted my western digital HDD (on which windows was installed) and reinstalled windows. It was because of this seagate HDD that the windows got corrupted in the other one. I took this seagate hdd out and put it in another computer and there too it didn't recognize and made clicking noise.

When there is clicking noise, it generally sounds that your HDD has failed. Clicking noise has a lot of sources, main culprit being Head of the HDD scratching against the disc portion of the HDD.

Unfortunately, the problem is severe which cannot be sorted by individual as such. Requires a lot of professionalism and expensive devises.

Take it to a good data recovery centre and get a quote.

Note: Data Recovery centre:

1) They are darn expensive. An idea: They charged by uncle INR 24,000 for a 250 gb HDD. They charge by the capacity and not by recovered content, in most cases.

2) They take way too long for recovery. An Idea : They took about 15 working days for the above.

3) Unfortunately they are not absolute 100% data recovery. Sometimes in cases where the disc is scratched very badly, it is very tough and not certain to recover the data.

4) They are in breach of HDD warranty when they pry open the HDD, so if you think of RMA later, forget it.

Best option in your case is - Forget about the Game content (Since it is downloadable from the internet ...hopefully ) If you don't have any important data, relax and forget the HDD.

So the consensus is that i should move on. I dont want to spend any money...when i can buy new hdd for the same money.

It is annoying to re-download games. 200gb is not small amount taking into account Indian net speed.

As for the data, forget it. However, do check you system as now 2 of your drives are dead.

2 hdd's are working....only 1 is dead.

There was no data loss on 1 hdd and it had all tv shows, movies etc while windows in other got corrupted so i launched ubuntu from livecd and backed up data from there too and formatted the drive so as to reinstall windows. both are working fine.

^ ya mate, its somewhat like that.

Because of these kinda incidents, one should spare a few TBs for backups as well.

^ I doubt if the freezing method will work on HDDs with mechanical error
<

Back