Android BIS Certificate for NEXUS 7 2013

PsYkiller

Disciple
My 4 google nexus 7 2013 is stuck in Delhi Custom office. They require Bureau of Indian Standard certificate to clear it. I could not find it on BIS website or anywhere. Although if IS/IEC no is available then BIS certificate can be seen online on there website.
Please someone who have purchased Nexus 7 (2013) from India see and give me this IS/IEC number or any other way will be highly appreciated.

Happened to one of my parcels (shipped via DHL), though it was a figurine. They called me up and started asking me in a scary voice "Sir, what did you order ? IT IS STUCK IN BIS !". Told them it's so and so, and he asked me to send a letter stating it is for personal use and a BIS certificate. Told him I cannot do anything ( :p) and he can contact Amazon. He asked for my email address and got a mail from DHL with a draft letter stating the item is for personal use and I free DHL of any responsibility towards the nature of use of the item in the shipment (2 page letter). Signed that and also had to send another letter stating the item is for personal use and request them to clear it from BIS.
Finally the parcel got free after 3 days.
Have a talk with DHL. They're bound to get your shipment free from customs (unless it's a bomb or something :p)

Already gave them the 2 page signed letter. Still no luck. Its more than 3days now and they still want BIS certificate. :-(
Even tried calling and sending mail to google, asus and flipkart.

Not very clear from your post, but I believe you ordered 4x Nexus. In which case the customs officer decided (and he's fully justified, IMO) that these are not for personal use and meant for resale. Which makes you a commercial importer.

So GoI has this rule where certain types of electronic goods, if imported for commercial purposes, require the importer to have a BIS (sort of ISI quality) certificate that, well, certifies that the said goods are not emitting harmful radiations, electrically hazardous or suchlike; and therefore safe to use. To be able to certify, the importer should have a testing lab and whatnot. Big monies needed.

If you've indeed ordered 4x, then this is what has happened. The officer is following the rule book - thinks you're an importer of tablets, and so wants the BIS certificate. I also don't think just any Nexus BIS certificate will do. It should be *your company's*.

I really have no idea how you can get out of this. Talk to some customs clearing agent in Kolkata who has an office in Delhi. Maybe they'll know what to do.

Additionally, if you want this delivered to Kolkata from Delhi, you'll need something called a waybill. That's another hassle.

Last edited:
This is why I split my consignments of nook group order @sarthakk250193..

Plus mumbai customs is a bit chill. Delhi customs is known to be very strict.

If they are asking for IEC, then you will have to provide them one.. Ppobox was also caught for evading customs, and now they ask users importing in bulk for IEC.

Back