bitcomet help

From the bitcomet forums. i had posted it b4, try using search feature next time ;)

The torrent is supposed to be xxMB but I've downloaded xxMB (greater than the actual size), why does it do this?

There can be several reasons why this is happening, all of them normal and will happen with any client - it's just how BitTorrent works. The only difference between BitComet and most other clients is BitComet will show you how much data it has actually downloaded (#1, #2 and #3 below), where most other clients will only show you to data that has been saved or discarded due to failed hash checks (#1 and #2 below).

One of the following three possibilities happens when BitTorrent/BitComet receives a piece of data and checks it...

1) The data hash checks fine so is written to the disk.

2) The data fails the hash check (data is corrupt, incomplete or other ways unusable) so is disarded. When this happens the data will simply be requested and downloaded again. This amount is displayed as "rubbish data dropped" in the Summary section.

3) The data does not match the request, so it's discarded. This doesn't mean the data was bad, it just means it wasn't what BitTorrent/BitComet requested so it has to be thrown away (it's just how it works). The other client may have sent the wrong data or BitTorrent/BitComet doesn't know what to do with it. When this happens the correct data will be requested until the data matching the request is received.

In addition to this, there are also ACKs going on behind the scenes. For each packet of data that is received, BitTorrent/BitComet must send an acknowledgement packet to say the data has been received and is ready for the next one to be sent. This is just how TCP networking works. Although these packets are very small, they do add up.

If this is unacceptable to you, and judging from some posts about this subject a few people seem to think it is, it's recommended that you use a different method to download your data (HTTP. FTP etc) because this is an unavoidable fact of how the BitTorrent protocol works.

Changing clients won't cause you to download less bad or unrequested data, most of them just won't display how much you've actually downloaded. But you can do the following to attempt to minimize this amount...

° Use an IPFilter to stop your client from downloading from locations that are known to be bad and may force bad data upon you. Instructions for using an IPFilter for BitComet can be found here, or you could use PeerGuardian 2 (recommended) to block them from all your applications (not just BitComet).

° Limit the amount of peers you're connecting to. If you're connected to a giant swarm it makes sense that you'll receive more data that is bad or has not been requested, so although you may gain a few kB/s when connecting to several hundred peers, you may be dumping much more data and you're actually at a loss. The amount of peer connections can be adjusted here:

Options > Preferences > Connection > Advanced > "Maximum Connections per task"
Options > Preferences > Connection > Advanced > "Connections to keep per task"

Wow.

High court of Karnataka and Bit Comet :eek:hyeah:

Anyways, Yea thats how it goes sometimes. Happened to me a few times too.

Dunno why it happens.

I would think all the extra data would be dropped.

yeah it happens to me even after i use Peerguardian.

so i switched to Bit Tornado and the "eXtra" downloads have been reduced quite a bit.

also u may want to consider the switch because many sites are banning Comet now.

I too had the same problem.... I did just a configuration change in bitcommet and the probs is solved...

The trick is this... reduce the number of sources to download from to say 50 or 75... that will definetely solve the problem...

usually when u dont limit the number of sources, bitcommet sends request to may be 200 or 300(even more) users and even though ur connection can support only 30- 35KBps u will end up requesting far more clients than what ur connection can support... u will end up loosing the bandwidth for all those requests and acknowdgements(There might be more hand shakings involved given the security acknowledgement required to establish a connection with a torrent)....

Try reducing the number of sources to 40 or so and see whether there is a drop in the download speed... if it comes down increase the source by 10 and u will find that not more than 50-60 people are required to download at 30-35KBps...

i will update the complete configuration change that i did in the evening after going back home....

Hope this helps u.... Guys correct me if what i said is wrong...

@ Itsmevivek: Could you be more specific please? In bitcomet->preferences->Connection-> which option... Max. Connections per task or Connections to keep per task...

@Vince - right now i am not in my house.... i dont have bitcomet now and i cant install it... will update u on the exact settings in the night....

^^ Thanks.

Regarding PeerGuardian 2, i've been using it for one hour now, and its blocked around 200 ip addresses so far. Now, i'm actually downloading a torrent which has 99.9% peers from China. And all the blocked ips are from China!!!Are there really many bad ips in China??

play around with these two find out which suits ur connection best
pref>advanced>connection>max connec..per task
pref>advanced>connection>connec.. to keep per task
this works best for me 150/100 check which works best for u:hap2:

ya its me vivek is right about reducing the number of peer you connect to..

that`s how you can optimize your torrent client .. and seriously for good torrents you can keep it as low as 20-40 peers..

play around until you download more then you do now ;)

Bitcomet has become blacklisted by many of the torrent sites, it will download a lot of trash. Simply dump it and use Utorrent, one of the better Torrent clients.

@Vince - here are the settings that i use

Options -> Preferences -> Connections

Maximum connections per task = 100

Connections to keep per task = 50

see if this helps... try increasing connections to keep per task if u feel that the download speed is not good....

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys.. i used to use 150/100... now using 100/75... will tell about the difference i get later...

Aces170 said:
Bitcomet has become blacklisted by many of the torrent sites, it will download a lot of trash. Simply dump it and use Utorrent, one of the better Torrent clients.
nice client aces, thx

can someone tell me what should be the max connections globally as well as per task for my 64 Kbps connection.(For Bitcomet as well as utorrent)

Thx.

Err... but a Chinese torrent site seems to be PROMOTING BitComet .... and i see 99% of them using it... (that too lots of them using 0.60 version)..
Overall i had no problem with torrents from that site, but on one particular torrent, i had downloaded the whole torrent size-wise, but BC still showed 50%!!

can someone tell me what should be the max connections globally as well as per task for my 64 Kbps connection.(For Bitcomet as well as utorrent)

Thx.

it's a trial & error thing, try various values from 10/25, 15/30, 20,40, 25/50 :) try till you max out your bandwidth of around 6-8 kBps.

will I be able to port my half completed downloads over to a new client.

Also I see that the task speed is say 10KBps but the total download speed would be 15Kbps in the top bar. Where is that extra 5Kbps going.

Back