BitTorrent 2 “Low Priorityâ€

p2p.gif

“[BitTorrent 2 has] unfortunately been lower priority than some other things we’re working on right now. More work has been done on it, I think I pretty much have it laid out, it is just a matter of when it becomes a priority to actually get it implemented.â€

It is nearly a year since details first emerged for the follow up to original BitTorrent file distribution protocol, which was developed to overcome the problems of content distribution using central servers.

Features which Cohen plans to include in BitTorrent 2, including distributed tracking with DHT and UDP to improve transfer efficiency, have already been implemented into the Azureus BitTorrent client.

However, in his interview, Cohen insists his client remains the superior of the two,

“The latest version of the BitTorrent client does all the really important things, it does queuing – it has much nicer queuing than Azureus does – and of course there is the BitTorrent core, which is much better than Azureus’ core, in terms of just raw performance and stability.

“I think we have struck a really good combination with the latest release of making it so that it is usable by grandma and does almost everything most people want out of it.

“We may in the future make the really feature rich version of the client.â€
Fans of BitTorrent can be assured that BitTorrent Original is still in development, albeit with a more commercial focus.

“The plan is to keep developing [BitTorrent] into the indefinite future, we’re building a company around it now,†Bram Cohen told P2P Revolution. “We may have hosting services in the future….it’s not all ironed out yet what we are going to do.â€

However, as the BitTorrent project moves to a marketable product, Bram makes the promise,

“It’s still definitely open source. We may make some proprietary applications in the future, but in terms of the core, useful BitTorrent functionality, it will remain open source.â€

zeropaid.com

slyck.com

Back