Block 80% Ads in Android/iOS Apps and Browsers

Qubit

Recruit
With a simple DNS setting, without installing adblock apps which can drain battery, you could block 80% of android application/browser ads excpet youtube ads, hotstar ads etc.

This is helpful in blocking frequent pop up ads in apps like olx, mxplayer etc without purchasing pro verison you can just block the ads in free version of apps.

Android :

For Samsung search for 'dns' in settings

Choose Private DNS (settings > Connections > More conenction settings > Private DNS)

Private DNS provider hostname > enter dns.adguard.com and save

Visit the below url to test ads are blocked :

https://d3ward.github.io/toolz/adblock

You can notice without ad guard DNS (jio dns used as default) 6% ads are blocked and with adguard dns 76% ads are blocked.

Note :

Location of DNS settings will vary for android devices.

Incase of samsung this settings will work for wifi , mobile data.

For other android devices this can be located under advanced wifi settings and may be applicable only for wifi.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

With adguard DNS:

With_adguard_DNS.jpg

Without adguard DNS:

Without_adguard_DNS.jpg

iOS :

For iOS , Go to Settings > My Networks > Connected Wifi Name (click i Symbol)> DNS > Configure DNS > Manual > enter dns.adguard.com , click save

Will only work for Wifi incase of iOS devices.

Last edited:
There are no limits unless you use something like NextDNS which has monthly limit for the free tier.

As for this method, we've known it since ages. Hopefully this post makes more people aware that their system has a handy settings like this.

For those who don't want this system wide, you can use DNS on your browsers of choice so that the Ads get blocked only while you browse the web.

Yep thanks for posting this. Will help the unaware. I first found out about this method about 6/7 years ago and using the same since, works, well too, but from time to time I see this msg no internet access or some such.

even their paid version is so good am using it from last 6 months now and its good. they also have a indian server for faster dns resolving time
Are you paying 1590 per year for it or is there some offer available? Does setting up pihole replace the need for this?

Back