Blood Glucose Meter - Which one to buy ?

hA1d3R

Adept
1.Accucheck Active

2.One touch horizon

3.Bayer Contour TS

Our Products:Bayer Diabetes Meters-Contour TM TS|EntrustTM| Blood Glucose testing

Bayer Diabetes Care No CodingTM Technology

read a post that labs test the glucose in plasma hence there is difference in betweeen home and lab reading . there are also many post regarding different readings on accucheck and one touch

One Touch Ultra Vs Accu-Check Active? And Plasma or Not Plasma? : Diabetes Forum : Active Low-Carber Forums

ACCU-CHEK Blood Glucose Monitor vs. Bayer Contour Glucose Monitor vs. One Touch Ultra 2 Blood Glucose Meter Kit | reComparison

http://www.diabetesforum.com/diabet...or-difference-between-accu-check-1-touch.html

Blood Glucose Meters - TuDiabetes

Any doctors here that can comment on the accuracy of these and which one is the best

These gadgets can be used to monitor regular control, but they can not be relied for the absolute control.

It can reduce your lab visits only if the reading is too abnormal or once in 6 months compared to once in a quarter.

Before selecting a machine you must inquire about the prices of test strip and this are closed systems, they can not accept the other strips, so recurring cost is the problem

Now a days majority of labs charge only 40 rupees for sugar checkup, if you tieup with near by good lab for their diabetic program for full year that cost may even go down.

WHile this machine also cost almost the same so cost advantage is not much. Plus there is always chance of mistake in testing and wastage, so personally speaking these machines are only useful for emergency situations.

Accucheck from mankind pharma is good, reliable option (not the best), every testing equipment will have different referance range and also some technical variation in readings.

is there someone who have info about the costs of different glucose monitors and test strips can share the rates here ?

It wil be helpful for those who are diabetic or having diabetic family members in home :)

The most important things you should check in Glucometer:

1. Accuracy: I suggest doing a test of the same sample, one with the glucometer and one from a good lab.

2. Cost of the strips: This is a big big factor. Most strips cost around 20-22 Rupees. In fact I am of the form belief that companies actually subsidise the Glucometer and earn solely from the strips. Ask the cost of the strips before you ask the price of the Glucometer.

i will say go with accucheck its begin used in our hospital wards . You see u can not get accurate results all the time from any of the above devices, what u need is device should give minimum error.Dont think of price it should come secondary.Rest is upto u.

baccilus said:
The most important things you should check in Glucometer:

1. Accuracy: I suggest doing a test of the same sample, one with the glucometer and one from a good lab.

2. Cost of the strips: This is a big big factor. Most strips cost around 20-22 Rupees. In fact I am of the form belief that companies actually subsidise the Glucometer and earn solely from the strips. Ask the cost of the strips before you ask the price of the Glucometer.
i had the same things in mind but once i read about accuracy i was :S . now even cost is not a factor , it should be less than Rs 30 - the amount charged by most labs .result even varies in different accucheck models

medpal made an imp. point its just good for reference .

Hi I have just heard of Optimus from Aventis . The cost of the strip is Rs.12/- while the meter costs Rs.1300/-

I have used a wide variety of meters and have found not one to be accurate. General rule is to get a test done from a lab and take reading from the same sample from your meter. Mark the difference in future readings from the meter to get somewhat an accurate picture. Have found that meters usually give a higher reading by 10-15 as compared to lab results..

Hope this helps

Back