Graphic Cards Blue Screen while gaming.

Hi everyone...I have been getting Blue Screen while gaming..I am playing Fallout 3 and Burnout Paradise for now, also had the issue while playing COD5...my PC config is:
AMD Phenom II X2 550
Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-US2H
2GB DDR2 800FSB RAM
BFG 7950GT Card
500GB SATA HDD
CollerMaster 500W SMPS

I have the latest graphic drivers installed...using Windows XP pro, Media Center edition..coz of the BSOD, i exchange my graphice card with a friend of mine, for a week...his is an 8600GT card, which i have in my PC right now...I dint get any BSOD with this card...nd friend say tht he dint get any BSOD either, with my card, but the game did get stuck in between...I am not sure about the source of the problem..is it just some driver issue or hardware issue..help me with this guys...

8600 is a low power card. don't know about the 7950. :(

Edit:- Just googled a bit and found it requires about 82W which is far from the 8600. So, may be its a PSU issue.

7950GT does need extra power..which my PSU has enough of to supply...where as my friends PSU is a local one and is playing without providing that extra power to the card, but still no blue screen for him, hang-ups do happen though..

Since when your problem started? Is this the new PC that you have bought? Did you make any changes in the config of your PC recently?

I am 99% sure that your "CollerMaster 500W SMPS" is the problem. But just for the basics, also check the CPU and GPU temperature using Core Temp and GPU-z

BTW, how much power your SMPS have on +12 rails and and how much it can supply?

morgoth said:
Since when your problem started? Is this the new PC that you have bought? Did you make any changes in the config of your PC recently?
It started after i installed the card, 7950gt..all the PC components are new, except for the card...no changes other than the addition of the card..

morgoth said:
I am 99% sure that your "CollerMaster 500W SMPS" is the problem. But just for the basics, also check the CPU and GPU temperature using Core Temp and GPU-z
not sure about the CPU temp but my GPU reachd 90degree once..average was around 85 i guess..

morgoth said:
BTW, how much power your SMPS have on +12 rails and and how much it can supply?
not sure about what exactly u asking here...I have got an CoolerMaster eXtreme Power Plus 500W..its model no is RS-500-PCAR-A3, its link..

It started after i installed the card, 7950gt..all the PC components are new, except for the card...no changes other than the addition of the card..

And it goes away when you use some other card. So GFX card is definitely the issue here. It's pretty plain to see. Now, if we are lucky there could three problems: Card overheating, some glitch in driver or SMPS not being able to cope with the load

not sure about the CPU temp but my GPU reachd 90degree once..average was around 85 i guess..

When it reached 90 degrees, was the card working at full load? I suggest you stress it with Furmark (Google it to know more) for around 15 minutes and watch the temperature. I am pretty sure that your computer will get BSOD, but still it will be great if you can see the GPU temp just before the BSOD.

not sure about what exactly u asking here...I have got an CoolerMaster eXtreme Power Plus 500W..its model no is RS-500-PCAR-A3, its link..

Never mind. If it's the Plus version, it should ideally cope with the load. It's not a great SMPS but is decent one, at least for 7950GT it is. But it does not mean that it's not faulty or has not gone kaput.

But before we take up the SMPS, do a stress test on GPU and share your findings here.

lol just gave my 7900 for replacement ... it developed similar issues when going higher resolutions or even photoshop. After some testing I have 90% doubts on my graphic memory chip.

Best advice check your card on your friend's machine, if it not working get it changed if possible.

morgoth said:
When it reached 90 degrees, was the card working at full load? I suggest you stress it with Furmark (Google it to know more) for around 15 minutes and watch the temperature. I am pretty sure that your computer will get BSOD, but still it will be great if you can see the GPU temp just before the BSOD.
It reached 90 while i was playing Call of Duty 5...the temp was being logged while i was playing, by nvidia logger..but 90 was just once..most of the time it was in 80s...
Have given the card to my friend for now, so will run the stress test once i get it back..

siddharth_menon said:
Best advice check your card on your friend's machine, if it not working get it changed if possible.
I have already mentioned in my first post that i have exchanged the card with a friend, so as to test it...he was playing Burnout Paradise nd had problem of it getting stuck, but no blue screen on his sys yet..want him to play Fallout3, that will give a better idea..

Back